Anyone have any thought provoking questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
data said:
Welcome to the Church of the Holy Cabbage. Lettuce pray... :laugh:

wow i wrote that in caps lock and it didn't work....weird

Members don't see this ad.

cant shout on forums...

Members don't see this ad :)
Pakorah said:
Do they ever shut up on your planet? :mad:
:idea:
i knew she wasn't an earthling :laugh:

Well that explaines Pakora's one track mind...her life is filled with one emotion= hatred
......that makes her rude
......that makes her call others' loosers so that she can go to bed at night, content

Premedtomed said:
Sadly, they can hear you all the way up there :laugh:
So, they talk to drain your voice out :laugh:

:laugh: great one sid!!

saffronrain said:
I Swear To God You Guys Need A Break From Sdn. All You Do Is Make Fun Of Each Other. And That, Takes The Fun Out Of Everything.

I second that...lets discuss stuff - both fun and valuable for us
It was all so great here..when people were nice and talked abt issues
but then "certain people" came on and turned everything sour...its hard to resist replying back to such people...but i should know better and just ignore them..... :(

hopeful05 said:
:idea:
i knew she wasn't an earthling :laugh:

Well that explaines Pakora's one track mind...her life is filled with one emotion= hatred
......that makes her rude
......that makes her call others' loosers so that she can go to bed at night, content
as they say ignorance is bliss....you don't know pakorah. So don't assume things.

hopeful05 said:
I second that...lets discuss stuff - both fun and valuable for us
It was all so great here..when people were nice and talked abt issues
but then "certain people" came on and turned everything sour...its hard to resist replying back to such people...but i should know better and just ignore them..... :(
you called my stuff dorky. while you can't answer the questions. "certain people" = hopeful :p

Are you trying to say that those questions were "your" questions?
Because they were pulled off of a website....yeah they were dorky questions..but you didn't wtire them..so they are not your-dorky questions...so what is your problem....grow up..already....jeez!

data said:
as they say ignorance is bliss....you don't know pakorah. So don't assume things.
Yeah I know pakora who roams the forum. To be frank, i don't like her ( yeah! like that was a surprize). But I said I don't like pakora- the person portrayed on SDN, not whomever is behind the id; coz for all i know, it could be a 49year old man angry coz he's turning 50! So i don't know the person behind the sdn id and don't have any assumptions abt her/him/it. but yeah I have thoughts abt the person portrayed on sdn. That person is mean for no reason. I don't understand why that person cannot be just normal- and talk like normal people= normal people get happy, sad, excited, angry etc....but this person just sticks to rudeness.... I just think calling people loosers is such low behavior. The pakora is the one who assumes this abt people; and feels happy in saying it then :thumbdown:

hopeful05 said:
Yeah I know pakora who roams the forum. To be frank, i don't like her ( yeah! like that was a surprize). But I said I don't like pakora- the person portrayed on SDN, not whomever is behind the id; coz for all i know, it could be a 49year old man angry coz he's turning 50! So i don't know the person behind the sdn id and don't have any assumptions abt her/him/it. but yeah I have thoughts abt the person portrayed on sdn. That person is mean for no reason. I don't understand why that person cannot be just normal- and talk like normal people= normal people get happy, sad, excited, angry etc....but this person just sticks to rudeness.... I just think calling people loosers is such low behavior. The pakora is the one who assumes this abt people; and feels happy in saying it then :thumbdown:
Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

hopeful05 said:
And you are allowed to trash people while others aren't? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: fine...i'm out of the forum. LATES

Members don't see this ad :)
Pakorah said:
And you are allowed to trash people while others aren't? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: fine...i'm out of the forum. LATES
Laters

sunny123 said:
:laugh: lates my homey...yo sunny she's a bengali like u right?

data said:
:laugh: lates my homey...yo sunny she's a bengali like u right?
Well thats what she said, but I never saw her type a word in Bengali.

Pakorah said:
No pakora..i am not trashing people...i am only trashing YOU- the pakora from SDN. I just really dislike what your purpose on SDN is. All you do here is call people unwarranted stuff...
you know what....i won't even bother !

WHY isn't there a BLOCK OUT or IGNORE provision on SDN?!!

What killed the dinosaurs?

I always thought it was the comet. But as a biologist we are supposed to think that mammals are the ones who killed them. Mammals eat embryos since the dawn of time. Mammals were the ones who ate the eggs of the dinosaurs and therefore the dinosaurs just died off. Mammals couldn't climb trees so the flying dinosaurs became birds. Mammals couldn't swim(at this time) so the dinosaurs became reptiles. This is what my prof taught us in reproduction course. He said that comet theory is all bull since its just a media frenzy. He never did say anything about that iridium layer found all over the earth. I do agree that volcanoes had some effect but iridium is found in lava i think.

THE ORIGINAL THINGS LOST AGAIN , it seems to me .....well here r some ....Thought-provoking exercises
All the answers are given in this page, but it will require some lateral and/or logical thinking to find them (and no, e-mailing me isn't the answer)!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?

This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.

2. A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

3. A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

4. One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How?

5. Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very well-known software company as an interview question for prospective employees.

6. A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?

7. A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there. They were all naked and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked around to see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and he knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve. How did he know?

8. A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?

9. A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out.

This puzzle claims to be the best of the genre. It is simple in its statement, absolutely baffling and yet with a completely satisfying solution. Most people struggle very hard to solve this one yet they like the answer when they hear it or have the satisfaction of figuring it out.

10. A man without eyes sees plums on a tree. He neither takes plums nor leaves plums. How can this be?

This is a very special question for me; people who know me personally have already been provided with a huge clue.

11. Jack and Jill are found dead, lying on the floor in the living room of a house, in a puddle of water. How did they die?

12. A man is found dead in an empty field with a pack strapped to his back. How did he die?

13. A man is found hanging in a completely empty warehouse high off the ground. How did the man manage to hang himself.

14. A frog is dead in the centre of a pond, surrounded by ten feet of water on all directions. How can the frog get to land?

15. You have three lights in a box, each of which is connected to a switch outside the box. The box is closed. You need to figure out which switch to corresponds to which light and you can open the box only once (and you can't manipulate the switches after you open the box). How do you do this?

16. A pot of gold is on a square island surrounded by a chasm 10 metres wide and of infinite depth. You have two 9.8 metre poles. How do you get across to the pot of gold and get back with it.

17. Mel Colly stared through the dirty soot-smeared window on the 26th floor of the office tower. Overcome with depression he slid the window open and jumped through it. It was a sheer drop outside the building to the ground. Miraculously after he landed he was completely unhurt. Since there was nothing to cushion his fall or slow his descent, how could he have survived?

18. A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

job well done,buddy! :thumbup:
hopeful05 said:
No pakora..i am not trashing people...i am only trashing YOU- the pakora from SDN. I just really dislike what your purpose on SDN is. All you do here is call people unwarranted stuff...
you know what....i won't even bother !

WHY isn't there a BLOCK OUT or IGNORE provision on SDN?!!

may b u r rite!i was under the impression that a large meteor wiped off the dino race!
data said:
What killed the dinosaurs?

I always thought it was the comet. But as a biologist we are supposed to think that mammals are the ones who killed them. Mammals eat embryos since the dawn of time. Mammals were the ones who ate the eggs of the dinosaurs and therefore the dinosaurs just died off. Mammals couldn't climb trees so the flying dinosaurs became birds. Mammals couldn't swim(at this time) so the dinosaurs became reptiles. This is what my prof taught us in reproduction course. He said that comet theory is all bull since its just a media frenzy. He never did say anything about that iridium layer found all over the earth. I do agree that volcanoes had some effect but iridium is found in lava i think.

thatz right!even i've never seen her posting anything in my matribhasha! ;) claiming to b a bong! :laugh:
sunny123 said:
Well thats what she said, but I never saw her type a word in Bengali.

'm quite curious to know the answers! :laugh:
nokia said:
THE ORIGINAL THINGS LOST AGAIN , it seems to me .....well here r some ....Thought-provoking exercises
All the answers are given in this page, but it will require some lateral and/or logical thinking to find them (and no, e-mailing me isn't the answer)!

1. There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?

This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.

2. A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

3. A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

4. One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How?

5. Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very well-known software company as an interview question for prospective employees.

6. A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?

7. A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there. They were all naked and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked around to see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and he knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve. How did he know?

8. A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?

9. A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out.

This puzzle claims to be the best of the genre. It is simple in its statement, absolutely baffling and yet with a completely satisfying solution. Most people struggle very hard to solve this one yet they like the answer when they hear it or have the satisfaction of figuring it out.

10. A man without eyes sees plums on a tree. He neither takes plums nor leaves plums. How can this be?

This is a very special question for me; people who know me personally have already been provided with a huge clue.

11. Jack and Jill are found dead, lying on the floor in the living room of a house, in a puddle of water. How did they die?

12. A man is found dead in an empty field with a pack strapped to his back. How did he die?

13. A man is found hanging in a completely empty warehouse high off the ground. How did the man manage to hang himself.

14. A frog is dead in the centre of a pond, surrounded by ten feet of water on all directions. How can the frog get to land?

15. You have three lights in a box, each of which is connected to a switch outside the box. The box is closed. You need to figure out which switch to corresponds to which light and you can open the box only once (and you can't manipulate the switches after you open the box). How do you do this?

16. A pot of gold is on a square island surrounded by a chasm 10 metres wide and of infinite depth. You have two 9.8 metre poles. How do you get across to the pot of gold and get back with it.

17. Mel Colly stared through the dirty soot-smeared window on the 26th floor of the office tower. Overcome with depression he slid the window open and jumped through it. It was a sheer drop outside the building to the ground. Miraculously after he landed he was completely unhurt. Since there was nothing to cushion his fall or slow his descent, how could he have survived?

18. A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)

prady said:
'm quite curious to know the answers! :laugh:
u did`t even try man !!!! throw some crazy answers .....

Interesting questions!! need to put some thinking ;)
nokia said:

ok some answers for now,,
2..A child has 2 parents..if the father died,,then the surgeon must be his mother :D

3.It day time... :laugh:

desikudi said:
ok some answers for now,,
2..A child has 2 parents..if the father died,,then the surgeon must be his mother :D

3.It day time... :laugh:
quite right ... ;) :thumbup:

6.May be he had the punch before the poison was added.... :p ... :laugh: :laugh:
8.they were not twins..but could be triplets..or quadruplets,,pentets... and whatever not :D

:thumbup:
desikudi said:
6.May be he had the punch before the poison was added.... :p ... :laugh: :laugh:
8.they were not twins..but could be triplets..or quadruplets,,pentets... and whatever not :D
good one ..try 1 & 9 it`s classic & u`ll love it ..trust me .

14...the frog is DEAD..why will it need to come to the land...And if someone else wants it to come to land..they can carry the dead frog. ;)

last one..i guess its 18..may be the 2 men died of COLD or someone else killed them :D

1. the man is to short and when it rains he uses his umbrella
5. so the manhole cover doesnt fall in if its round it cant fall in
6. the poison was in the ice he drank it before it melted
7. they didnt have belly buttons
9. the man had hiccups
10. he doesnt have eyes he has 1 eye and he takes 1 plum

thats all i can get for now

I remeber the first one from grade 6. He is a midget and when it rains he carries an umbrella with him, therefore is able to hit the top button with the umbrella.
2. infamous sexist riddle, obviously his mother was a surgeon
3. DAYLIGHT
4. This has to do with the 28th of feb. This took me a while. Hmm the elder kid born on the 1st of march and then the lady flew across timezones to get the 2nd kid born on 28th but its stupid what plane would let the lady on board in labour. Unless both kids born on the plane but in diff time zones.
5. it ifs round can't fall in..very simple
6. easy again with the poison in the ice.
7. only people with out "belly buttons"
8. they are triplets? or more?
9. this is funny he prolly had hiccups, at first i thought it was a water gun and he squirted him...lol
10. one eye
11. Jack and Jill are fish
13. I'm assuming he is hanging a picture of himself with a ladder.
14. Can't the frog just jump or swim it?
17. he was outside and jumped inside the building
18. old age?

Is it a pack of wolves...maybe?

16. A pot of gold is on a square island surrounded by a chasm 10 meters wide and of infinite depth. You have two 9.8 meter poles. How do you get across to the pot of gold and get back with it.

-----------------------------------------------^
-----------------------------------------------^

If this is the scenario then he can cross with a 9.8m pole and come back with it....

But if this is the scenario:

-----------------------
10 m
-------------------10 m [] 10 m
-----------------------10m

Then i don't know :( but i am dying from curiosity...someone tell me before muy head explodes...i'm just not seeing it.... :idea:

^ i was thinking about the wolves but it didn't seem to me like the right idea. Btw i was wondering when you are going to say that nokia took it from a website?

Someone tell me if my answers are correct.

what...so the guy got hit by lightening then? the pack was metal?

hopeful05 said:
what...so the guy got hit by lightening then? the pack was metal?
Pack of cigarettes...died of lung cancer. :laugh:

data said:
^ i was thinking about the wolves but it didn't seem to me like the right idea. Btw i was wondering when you are going to say that nokia took it from a website?
yup.obviously i dot spend time making questions ...i just wud like to solve them like the rest of u ... ;)
& ur answers r correct . :thumbup:

nokia said:
yup.obviously i dot spend time making questions ...i just wud like to solve them like the rest of u ... ;)
& ur answers r correct . :thumbup:
I agree with you, I like solving stuff on the internet. But there are others who don't...at least i thought they don't :confused:

Someone post some answers!

faces.gif

urs r correct man !.btw ..u`ll HAVE to mail the author for the answers ....

17- He fell in the Fire Brigade net. it said- The window was Soot covered, so the building was already on fire, and Guards were there.

DrGarfield said:
17- He fell in the Fire Brigade net. it said- The window was Soot covered, so the building was already on fire, and Guards were there.
long time...no seeeeeeeeeeee...

but there was nothing to cover the fall !

meetlife said:
long time...no seeeeeeeeeeee...
Ya meet, i am back to india- and so back to work. so hardly even get time to check mails. I had a break for a couple days now- next month i am shifting back to Ahmedabad- then i think i can be here more often.

Hey guys I got this from a site, if you have a couple of minutes you'll enjoy this

Puzzle 1

There are 5 houses in 5 different colours. In each house lives a person of a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. Using the clues below can you determine who owns the fish?

The Brit lives in a red house.
The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
The Dane drinks tea.
The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
The green house owner drinks coffee.
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.
The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill.
The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
The German smokes Prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
The man who smokes Blend has a neighbour who drinks water.

If you are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

Would you rather a crocodile attack you or an alligator?

anyone see the double meaning in this sentence? i would rather have the crocodile attack an alligator... :laugh: