Anyone have early auditions cancelled yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently trying to convince myself that mine in the early part of the summer aren't going to get cancelled, but not feeling very confident. Has anyone who had auditions scheduled for June/July heard back from programs either cancelling or confirming? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just waiting for that other shoe to drop. I hope it doesn't, but realistically it's gonna happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently trying to convince myself that mine in the early part of the summer aren't going to get cancelled, but not feeling very confident. Has anyone who had auditions scheduled for June/July heard back from programs either cancelling or confirming? :eek:
What field? I think that will play a role in what gets canceled as well.

What field? I think that will play a role in what gets canceled as well.
I'll speak for myself and a few friends in saying we're worried about surgery, EM, and anesthesia for the most part. Seeing as surgery and anesthesia dont utilize n95 masks (at least not often) I'd think maybe they'd want students? Could easily be wrong

I'll speak for myself and a few friends in saying we're worried about surgery, EM, and anesthesia for the most part. Seeing as surgery and anesthesia dont utilize n95 masks (at least not often) I'd think maybe they'd want students? Could easily be wrong
Unless something changes greatly anesthesia aways during June and July are probably not happening based on what family and friends are saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on surgery or EM?
I don't have anything but online hearsay and intuition to back this up unlike anesthesia, but EM is gonna be rough given the whole front lines aspect. There are political reasons to keep med students out of the ER right now that supersede any desire by a student to go and risk exposure. I feel like surgery could be fine but the issue is that case volume is way down even for general surgeons at the ORs I know well. Only really questionable hospitals are allowing elective cases. Obviously GS has a good number of non--elective cases but this changes things greatly because bed control is gonna be an issue. You might have plenty of PPE by then due to manufacturing but if there aren't many cases then it would be a poor experience managing floors and possibly managing non-surgical patients if these teams are asked to help out. How many students can be in one ex lap that's allowed to go versus spreading the load among lots of choles/breasts/hernias/hemorrhoids and what not.

Edit: honestly if I wanted to have the best shot at a surgery rotation (assuming no PPE issue or system wide exclusion of students) I would attempt to do vascular rotation as their cases are being allowed and they are obviously always busy anyways. Trauma to a lesser extent given less people outside equals less trauma.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm applying IM and so far *knock on wood* all four of mine are still on. I think on top of the speciality, I think it will be very region specific. The situation will be whole lot different by July/August. It's so tough to predict.

I'm applying IM and so far *knock on wood* all four of mine are still on. I think on top of the speciality, I think it will be very region specific. The situation will be whole lot different by July/August. It's so tough to predict.

Honestly my thoughts as well. I can’t see programs not wanting to see applicants in person and honestly missing out on the free help we provide. Here’s hoping we’re able to wack covid in the near future, use this crisis as a learning tool for the future, and we’re all able to go out on aways and showcase our abilities and work ethic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

We've canceled all student rotations through June, expect summer cancellations to get announced in the next month or so as things worsen and don't magically disappear. Sorry everyone

I'm IM

• Sad
My august IM one was confirmed, but honestly I'm expecting my july one to be cancelled any minute now. We'll see. I'm hoping that the september/october ones aren't affected at all.

My august IM one was confirmed, but honestly I'm expecting my july one to be cancelled any minute now. We'll see. I'm hoping that the september/october ones aren't affected at all.
My July audition confirmed it's still on as of now. Going to think optimistically that it'll stay that way haha

Members don't see this ad :)
We've canceled all student rotations through June, expect summer cancellations to get announced in the next month or so as things worsen and don't magically disappear. Sorry everyone

I'm IM

What part of the country are you in? I've been hearing DC/Baltimore is October just curious what others are looking like too

Rush just contacted all applicants saying June-July rotations cancelled. Other months still on, but they are monitoring and pushed date back on when students would be offered rotations by a month.

I got an early EM audition in June, but I haven't received any word on it being canceled yet

My mid/late June told me it's still confirmed as of now as well. No more surgery for you?!

Not anymore bud, I talked to a lot of surgery residents and did a lot of reading about it and I honestly couldn't see myself adapting to the lifestyle, both in residency and as an attending. 5+ years of residency since I'd want to specialize, and I'd prob want to aim for an academic institution to help my chances, which makes it more difficult for me based on my app right now. I also don't think I'm very competitive in terms of research (only have one surgery research project thats ongoing) and the match rates for DO students is still pretty low.
HBU, you looking at gas or surgery still?

Not anymore bud, I talked to a lot of surgery residents and did a lot of reading about it and I honestly couldn't see myself adapting to the lifestyle, both in residency and as an attending. 5+ years of residency since I'd want to specialize, and I'd prob want to aim for an academic institution to help my chances, which makes it more difficult for me based on my app right now. I also don't think I'm very competitive in terms of research (only have one surgery research project thats ongoing) and the match rates for DO students is still pretty low.
More than half of my schools Surgery honors track students switched to EM after their surgery rotations when they realized how miserable all the residents were lol.

Reactions: 5 users
T
More than half of my schools Surgery honors track students switched to EM after their surgery rotations when they realized how miserable all the residents were lol.
This isn't shocking given how many of these wannabes haven't even had a job before lol.

Reactions: 4 users

That’s definitely fair. Hard to know for sure how you want your life and lifestyle to go the first two year and honestly into 3rd year. Decided I’m going to apply VERY broadly for surgery and bank on (hopefully) showing out on auditions and step/level 2. Would REALLY like auditions, or at least most of them, to not get cancelled haha

Lmao. When I was on my surgery rotation, I would think about how cringey some of the first and second years were about gunning for surgery. I was wondering how people without any real experience can go all in saying that's what they absolutely have to do in life when it's so different than people expect. Especially when you're at a residency program and see how little surgery you get to do until you're a 4th or a 5th year.
I wonder how many of the anatomy fellows switch specialties after they do rotations.

Props to whoever can do that though. It's intense.

Especially when you're at a residency program and see how little surgery you get to do until you're a 4th or a 5th year.

To be fair, not all programs are like that.

But yes, everyone wants to be a surgeon until they actually see what the surgery life is like.

Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, not all programs are like that.

But yes, everyone wants to be a surgeon until they actually see what the surgery life is like.
Yeah the program where I did my core surgery (St Mary's), the residents were doing solo Lap Choles by the end of intern year and had 80% of total solo cases needed to graduate per ACGME by end of 3rd year. They all hated their lives but still lol

Oh that's true for a decent amount of people I know. I actually got interested in surgery because I really enjoyed my rotation. They let me do quite a bit in the OR. I also like that there's both surgical and medical management involved, at least moreso than I thought there would be (at least from what I experienced). Thing is, my rotation site is wayyy too chill with their med students in term of hours (go home early, no weekends or call, etc) so I felt like I didn't have a "real" adequate surgery experience.

That’s definitely fair. Hard to know for sure how you want your life and lifestyle to go the first two year and honestly into 3rd year. Decided I’m going to apply VERY broadly for surgery and bank on (hopefully) showing out on auditions and step/level 2. Would REALLY like auditions, or at least most of them, to not get cancelled haha

That's great man, if you really can't see yourself doing anything else but surgery, go for it!

My auditions will probably be cancelled anyway. My school is refusing to do online modules for any rotation and are using our electives (see AUDITIONS) to force us to do rural, OMM, or Public Health modules. As of right now this is the plan if this extends into May and June. So instead of auditions I will be doing my required rural rotation and probably a core rotation.

• Angry
  • Sad
Yeah the program where I did my core surgery (St Mary's), the residents were doing solo Lap Choles by the end of intern year and had 80% of total solo cases needed to graduate per ACGME by end of 3rd year. They all hated their lives but still lol

Haha I've scrubbed in and assisted in probably upwards of 50 lap choles during my gen surg rotations ( I once had 7 in one day), so much that I felt like I could also perform it solo (obvs not, but I really knew the procedure and techniques pretty well).

Haha I've scrubbed in and assisted in probably upwards of 50 lap choles during my gen surg rotations ( I once had 7 in one day), so much that I felt like I could also perform it solo (obvs not, but I really knew the procedure and techniques pretty well).
Jeez, we did at least 5-10 per week but after that rotation I never wanted to see another lap chole again I was so sick of it.

Yeah that's kinda my point. appendectomies, lap choles, cyst removals, basic **** etc were for interns and 2nd years. But what I mean is the big boi surgeries were really saved for the seniors. It was just very different than I was expecting.

I'm worried how long this COVID craziness will continue to go on. Us 3rd years have it the worst :(

• Sad
I'm worried how long this COVID craziness will continue to go on. Us 3rd years have it the worst :(
I'd imagine we HAVE to get back to clinical activities in the near(ish) future. Otherwise they'll run into delayed graduations and then the work force will lose 27k+ new physicians next year. I can't imagine the powers at be will let that happen

• Love
I'd imagine we HAVE to get back to clinical activities in the near(ish) future. Otherwise they'll run into delayed graduations and then the work force will lose 27k+ new physicians next year. I can't imagine the powers at be will let that happen
I hope so! I appreciate the optimism

Or they just do online stuff and have it count as graduation reqs. That's what a lot of MD schools are doing from my understanding. Many MD schools have cancelled in person rotations through June.

It sucks. I'm getting more and more pessimistic as this goes on. Particularly with how my school is handling this.

• Sad
Or they just do online stuff and have it count as graduation reqs. That's what a lot of MD schools are doing from my understanding. Many MD schools have cancelled in person rotations through June.

It sucks. I'm getting more and more pessimistic as this goes on. Particularly with how my school is handling this.

Idk how you could justify 5-6+ months of online courses and call that sufficient for graduation requirements...

Idk how you could justify 5-6+ months of online courses and call that sufficient for graduation requirements...

I mean it isn't exactly like this has ever happened before and there are no contingency plans. This isn't due to schools lack of planning its more due to the government dropping the ball. Its much better for the overall workforce if we miss a few months of rotations rather than delay the new class of interns. Can you imagine every residency program in the country short staffed? It would be a ****show and there's no way they let that happen

I mean it isn't exactly like this has ever happened before and there are no contingency plans. This isn't due to schools lack of planning its more due to the government dropping the ball. Its much better for the overall workforce if we miss a few months of rotations rather than delay the new class of interns. Can you imagine every residency program in the country short staffed? It would be a ****show and there's no way they let that happen

Well that’s kind of my point. I get having rotations ceased for the next 1-2 maybe 3 months, but the idea of postponing clinical rotations into July and August just doesn’t seem like a good plan to me. Maybe I’m not seeing the big picture here, but again I can’t see all of us moving into 4th year and just sitting around doing online modules for months on end.

Well that’s kind of my point. I get having rotations ceased for the next 1-2 maybe 3 months, but the idea of postponing clinical rotations into July and August just doesn’t seem like a good plan to me. Maybe I’m not seeing the big picture here, but again I can’t see all of us moving into 4th year and just sitting around doing online modules for months on end.

True, but even being in the hospital right now would be useless. I want to be helping as much as the next guy, this feels like practicing all season and riding the bench to me. But we can't put in orders, we may feel like docs sometimes but we aren't. All we would do is be fomites that use up PPE from people who need it more than us. I'd rather sit out and try to get a hold of this thing. Many attendings and residents have come on here saying we rarely help at all and almost always slow them down. If anything at least we can learn at home now because none of the supervising docs will have time to teach if they're overwhelmed.

They'll relax the grad requirements and there will be implications for our class that noone can see coming because this hasnt ever happened before. It by far best for the system if we sit out for a while. We'll take it as it comes, online modules and all.

It's not a good plan, and it really affects our education and 4th year etc, but it's better than the alternatives. I'd rather do online rotations and push through to 4th year and be in the same boat as everyone else, than be out on rotations spreading the virus and potentially getting sick. The LCME requirement just says you have to complete your core clerkships OR have the knowledge base you would have received if you did them in the hospital. This is good because I don't want to pay another $50k to redo the end of 3rd year while delaying my graduation by a year.

The people it really inconveniences are the people who had a core rotation in april or may that they were interested in.

They'll relax the grad requirements and there will be implications for our class that noone can see coming because this hasnt ever happened before. It by far best for the system if we sit out for a while. We'll take it as it comes, online modules and all.

Honestly I suspect we will see nationwide changes to PE, graduation reqs, audition rotations, interviews, etc. There will be significant long term ramifications from this for our class.

Honestly I suspect we will see nationwide changes to PE, graduation reqs, audition rotations, interviews, etc. There will be significant long term ramifications from this for our class.
My boards aren't till mid June so hopefully those end up okay. I've missed my neuro rotation but have another warm up scheduled for July so hopefully things can work out. I hate the uncertainty of it all when I had everything planned out but I mean it makes sense why nobody wants to jump the gun and make sweeping changes too early

Not disagreeing with any of ya'll on the short term rationale, but if we're kept off rotations into August/September etc our class will come out at a major disadvantage when we do eventually get to residency. Trying to stay optimistic, but woah boy is it getting harder

Not disagreeing with any of ya'll on the short term rationale, but if we're kept off rotations into August/September etc our class will come out at a major disadvantage when we do eventually get to residency. Trying to stay optimistic, but woah boy is it getting harder

I think we will be back on rotations by July. Whether or not auditions will still be a thing will remain to be seen (I certainly hope so as I was really excited for them). A number of hospitals have already cancelled all visiting student rotations for the 20-21 academic year.

My boards aren't till mid June so hopefully those end up okay.

I'm honestly curious about what will happen with PE. Because it might be the most pandemic unfriendly exam ever created. Both sites are in major hub cities that are sure to get hammered by COVID similar to New York. There is a real chance this gets drug out for many months in those places causing massive disruption to the test cycle.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I think we will be back on rotations by July. Whether or not auditions will still be a thing will remain to be seen (I certainly hope so as I was really excited for them). A number of hospitals have already cancelled all visiting student rotations for the 20-21 academic year.

I'm honestly curious about what will happen with PE. Because it might be the most pandemic unfriendly exam ever created. Both sites are in major hub cities that are sure to get hammered by COVID similar to New York. There is a real chance this gets drug out for many months in those places causing massive disruption to the test cycle.
Most of us at DO schools don't have home hospitals and are spread out for 3rd year so I'd be very curious to see what the schools would do if zero auditions were to occur this year. I know our school is only contracted for students away from our main city for 3rd year so if we had to do all rotations in house idk how that would be possible.

My auditions will probably be cancelled anyway. My school is refusing to do online modules for any rotation and are using our electives (see AUDITIONS) to force us to do rural, OMM, or Public Health modules. As of right now this is the plan if this extends into May and June. So instead of auditions I will be doing my required rural rotation and probably a core rotation.
I’m sorry to hear