Anyone have trouble getting their foot in a clinic or hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into working in a hospital since they are open around the clock and thus leaving me able to work in evenings and weekends when I have classes throughout the day. Emory is THE Hospital(IMO at least) here in Atlanta and so it seems fairly difficult to get a job there, especially due to their 'apply online and we'll contact you' philosophy. I personally think that with my medical work history (and the stellar cover letter I wrote) there shouldn't be a reason why I can't get a job there. Any suggestions as to how I might improve my chances of getting a job there? I have left a program in which I had some form of communication with one of the head Orthopedic surgeons at Emory on a weekly basis, since he is the team MD for the school I am leaving. I'm not big on asking for favors from people to get somewhere, but I have also learned that it does sometimes take knowing someone first to get you somewhere. My boss at the job was understanding of my career path change and made it clear on a couple of occasions to let him know if there is anything that he can do to help.

Thanks

I'll copy this in allo pre-med as well

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely recommend going to HR in the hospital directly. I spent weeks applying online to every hospital in the greater Boston area (and there are A LOT) and didn't hear back until I handed in my resume in person.The online thing is tricky because you don't know where it's going, who's reading it or if it's even getting read period.
Other options are treatment facilities and nursing homes. I ended up taking a job at a treatment facility for adolescent girls working graveyard shift. It takes some getting used to, but it's perfect for my school schedule. Also, where I work, they don't mind if I do my school work as long as I stay awake and complete any necessary tasks/paperwork.

Good Luck!

often, there's a method for those on the outside looking in. then, there's that other options for people on the inside. if you're really interested in employment, you could start off volunteering. then, make it a point to get to know (without being a pest) the decision makers. this will take time. THEN, you can inquire (naively would be a good way) about how to get a job. Also ask others how they got THEIR jobs in the hospital. It's all about who you know in those cases. But, be a hard working, friendly presence while there.

Be likeable, helpful, and keep a positive attitude. People will be inspired to want to help you. Then, it's all about who you know. This takes a bit of time, but it's fool proof. Also, take a genuine interest in those people. Nobody likes a fake, especially when you'll be asking for their recommendation or assistance in getting a job etc.