Are second career doctors typically happier than people who went into medicine during their 20's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CookiesBrookies

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm very worried when I read about how unhappy doctors are, but I also know that other fields (while less tiring and expensive) aren't all roses and sunshine either. Curious on perspectives!

Members don't see this ad.

Third career for me. I share many of my colleagues frustrations, but still enjoy what I do. While having a prior career provides a different perspective, the frustrations and lack of support for patient oriented care as well as limited understand of operation and clinical care that often occurs within healthcare challenging, there are analogous frustrations in other industries . I have friends in the automotive industry, information technology, etc who share some of the same frustrations.

No industry is immune from this phenomenon, and the frustrations are often a reflection of leadership.

"The real reason people quit their jobs is because the managers charged with ensuring their employees' success don't care enough to meet their needs as valued employees and human beings."

As a CEO stated (Gallup CEO) Jim Clifton summarized this unfortunate phenomenon in when he said this in the State of the American Workplace report:
"The single biggest decision you make in you job -- bigger than all the rest -- is how you name manager. When you name the wrong person manager, nothing fixes that bad decision. No compensation, not benefits--nothing."

Reactions: 1 user
Third career for me. I share many of my colleagues frustrations, but still enjoy what I do. While having a prior career provides a different perspective, the frustrations and lack of support for patient oriented care as well as limited understand of operation and clinical care that often occurs within healthcare challenging, there are analogous frustrations in other industries . I have friends in the automotive industry, information technology, etc who share some of the same frustrations.

No industry is immune from this phenomenon, and the frustrations are often a reflection of leadership.

"The real reason people quit their jobs is because the managers charged with ensuring their employees' success don't care enough to meet their needs as valued employees and human beings."

As a CEO stated (Gallup CEO) Jim Clifton summarized this unfortunate phenomenon in when he said this in the State of the American Workplace report:
"The single biggest decision you make in you job -- bigger than all the rest -- is how you name manager. When you name the wrong person manager, nothing fixes that bad decision. No compensation, not benefits--nothing."
What were your first two careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.