Anyone having doubts about the April MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll! Just looking for a holler out there if anyone is in this situation. I am so jammed with schoolwork trying to get my GPA up, that I am worried about not being prepared enough for the April MCAT. I know I could take it in August, but I honestly don't want to. Doesn't it slow down the app process and interview invitations because they have to wait for your scores?

Anyone else a bit worried? Alot of my friends are postponing and we are all in a prep course! lol :confused:

Anyway good luck everyone, much love :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Jezzielin said:
Hey ya'll! Just looking for a holler out there if anyone is in this situation. I am so jammed with schoolwork trying to get my GPA up, that I am worried about not being prepared enough for the April MCAT. I know I could take it in August, but I honestly don't want to. Doesn't it slow down the app process and interview invitations because they have to wait for your scores?

Anyone else a bit worried? Alot of my friends are postponing and we are all in a prep course! lol :confused:

Anyway good luck everyone, much love :love:

Hey don't worry. Everyone feels unprepared for the April MCAT this time of year. But don't worry, as long as you've been preparing for it, you'll be fine. Just remember that now's the time to really start focusing primarily on the MCAT. Schools realize that the MCAT sucks, so they'll excuse a small blip in gpa. It is so ridiculously advantageous to take the April MCAT that unless you get really sick or have VERY SERIOUS reservations about taking the test, just take it. If your score sucks, you can always retake it in August. That way you'll already be familiar with the test.

If you feel you will perform much better on the August MCAT, then take it then. But, the August MCAT does delay your application, so you will be already starting this very competitive process with disadvantage. You want to start with your best foot forward. So make an honest assesstment, if you feel that you are just feeling overwhelmed, but can do well in April, then take it then. But if you do take the August MCAT, you may want to consider waiting a year, and applying early.
This advice was given by two premed advisosrs (uchicago and brow). And personal experience, my sister applied after her taking the august mcat, did not get in anywhere, but subsequent year applied early in June, and got accepted to several school including her top choice, YALE. But her stats did not change, same GPA same MCAT, just the timing was off. I took the august mcat, applied this year (for Class of 2009) and got in so far several places.
So, that is my anectdotal advice to you. Good luck!!! :luck: