anyone hear anything good/bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I do believe that it is a quite respected school. I'm no expert, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Each school has its pros and cons. What matters is whether the school is a good fit for YOU! You'll end up an OD no matter where you go, so pick the school that makes you happy.

If you want specifics, search in both the Pre-Opt and Opt forums for info on PCO. I'm in the process of recruiting an SDN Ambassador for each school... so hopefully someone from PCO will step up!
 
I visited PCO a couple of months ago, and the school itself is beautiful. Excellent equipment, friendly people, etc. Only thing I don't like is the tuition. I'm also not a huge fan of Philly. The other three schools I'm applying to are much cheaper. However, I did like the fact that they don't use textbooks!
 
I think that PCO is a great school. I'll be going there starting this fall. The campus is great inside and out, very modern. During the course of its history, the school has made numerous important advancements in optometry. Check their website out to find what they are. They seem to have plenty of good, up-to-date equipment for their students to use. The majority of the people there are friendly and seem to be there to help each other out. There is a new student center that has a real nice brand new gym housed within it, as well as social areas. The library seemed to be of decent size, although not nearly as nice as my undergrad library. PCO itself is not in a bad area. It isn't in Philly, it's in Elkins Park which is just to the north of the city. The Eye Institute is just on the northern fringe of Philly, the area is somewhat sketchy but overall not that bad. The last time I visited TEI, they were in the process of carrying out renovations. The tour guides at PCO told us that they really haven't even been in Philly, that they just like to stick around the PCO campus. This is true, you do not need to go into the city. I'd like to see the city, but I'm not sure if I want to take the chance of bad things happening. We'll see. All that being said, housing for PCO is expensive. And, you get what you pay for. You can get 2 BR/2 BA apartments for around $850/month (dirt cheap for this area), but get ready for rundown buildings and a bad atmosphere surrounding the apt. buildings. A nice "decently" priced 2 BR/2 BA apartment will run you around $1300. Another drawback about the area is confusing street signs. Either they're not even there or they are pointing in the wrong direction. It's easy to get lost, but, after you're in the area for a while, you'll know your way around. Another bad thing that I've noticed about PCO so far is that their communication with students is rather poor. I've been trying for a few days to get ahold of the financial aid office and no one ever picks up. I think they need to hire some additional people, then the problem would be solved.

Every optometry school is different, and, as others have already said, you need to find the one that's right for you. I like how PCO places a strong importance on learning clinical skills right away. I thought this was a great thing because it gives you the chance to constantly improve patient relationships/eye exams/etc, rather than just being thrown into it later in the curriculum.
 
the optometrist I shadow (ICO grad) has a high opinion of PCO, and I love philly, but that's all I can tell you
 
im predent but my sister went to PCO, she liked the school but she didn't like that the clinics were in not so great areas. I visited her quite a few times and I'd have to agree that the area right around the school is nice but it gets kinda sketchy when you drive back towards the city. otherwise I think she enjoyed it, esp the shopping!