anyone hear from iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjb875fd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they started their final pool selection and i'm wondering if they've started sending out decisions.

and are you in state or out of state?

waiting sucks...

Members don't see this ad.

kjb875fd said:
they started their final pool selection and i'm wondering if they've started sending out decisions.

and are you in state or out of state?

waiting sucks...
The email regarding pool selection said you will not be notified until march 15th by mail.

YzIa said:
The email regarding pool selection said you will not be notified until march 15th by mail.

i thought it said by march 15th. i don't have the email anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
kjb875fd said:
i thought it said by march 15th. i don't have the email anymore

I do not have the email anymore either, but I am almost positive that it said we would know their decision ON March 15th.

TommyK said:
I do not have the email anymore either, but I am almost positive that it said we would know their decision ON March 15th.
Yep, it said March 15th letters would be mailed (no phone calls or emails).
4 more weeks, No sooner.

From the email:
" This review will take approximately 6 weeks, so you will not hear a decision from the Admissions Committee until March 15, 2005. Final decisions will be sent by US mail and no decisions will be given over the phone or by e-mail."

I emailed Judith Lehman (spelling?) today and she told me that letters are going out March 8th or 9th. Best of luck everyone!
Cheers,
KJ

kmjannie said:
I emailed Judith Lehman (spelling?) today and she told me that letters are going out March 8th or 9th. Best of luck everyone!
Cheers,
KJ

:scared: :scared: :scared: <crosses fingers> :scared: :scared: :scared:

Does anyone know roughly how many spots there are remaining for in-state applicants? Just curious.

No idea for certain how many spots are left. I have heard rumors that only half the class is filled by now, but this is just a rumor. Also, nearly 30 people got in off the waitlist last year. The countdown begins....

I talked to the addmissions office right after the getting the email that let us know that we were in the final applicant pool. The lady said there were approximately 40 spots (instate) that they hadn't accepted anyone for yet. However, you also have to keep in mind that some of the Iowa residents that were already accepted may choose to go elsewhere for a number of reasons.

i think in-staters have a 1 in 2.5 chance of getting in once you've gotten to the interview portion. not sure, though...i know your chances go up significantly after that point. (i'm thinking it's more like 1 in 5 for out-of-staters, but again i'm not sure.)

good luck to those of you who are still waiting! :luck:

Just wondering if any of you in-staters are planning on going somewhere else even if accepted to Iowa.

Members don't see this ad :)
dalynn said:
i think in-staters have a 1 in 2.5 chance of getting in once you've gotten to the interview portion. not sure, though...i know your chances go up significantly after that point. (i'm thinking it's more like 1 in 5 for out-of-staters, but again i'm not sure.)

They interviewed about 550 applicants according to usnews last year. 243 instate, 304 out. 128 instate were accepted, and 149 out of state were accepted. So actually its about 1/2 for each in/out of interviews will receive acceptances.

dangit. I just wish that out of state tuition was cheaper. anyone know if notification is snail mail or email?

ribbi_j said:
dangit. I just wish that out of state tuition was cheaper. anyone know if notification is snail mail or email?

Regular mail. They should be coming within the next week or so.

Does anyone know whether or not they sent the letters out today? The admissions lady said that it would be today or tmrw depending on when they got them all printed. I know this sounds crazy, but I want to know whether or not I can expect a letter tmrw or Thurs, so I can prepare myself. Best of luck everyone!
Cheers,
KJ

Vomitonme said:
Regular mail. They should be coming within the next week or so.

kmjannie said:
Does anyone know whether or not they sent the letters out today? The admissions lady said that it would be today or tmrw depending on when they got them all printed. I know this sounds crazy, but I want to know whether or not I can expect a letter tmrw or Thurs, so I can prepare myself. Best of luck everyone!
Cheers,
KJ

...letters were indeed sent out today.....i spoke with the admissions office earlier today...good luck! :thumbup:

littleroo said:
BUMP

Yikes! We midwesterners should find out tomorrow or Thursday then. :eek:

I'm really nervous. I loved Iowa, it's tied for my first choice, along with Creighton. I'll be so excited if I get in!

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Anyone find anything in their mail? I live in Iowa City so I was wreck all day thinking that I would find out today. Unfortunately, there was nothing in my mailbox. Guess I will be doing it all over again tommarrow.......

TommyK said:
Anyone find anything in their mail? I live in Iowa City so I was wreck all day thinking that I would find out today. Unfortunately, there was nothing in my mailbox. Guess I will be doing it all over again tommarrow.......

I live in Iowa City as well and I didn't receive anything today either. I just started reading this thread today so I would've been totally unprepared if I found something in the mailbox today. Now I have time to get all nervous before I go to the mailbox, and I get to see if my spring break is made a whole lot better or ruined.

TommyK said:

I live in Iowa City too and I did not receive anything yet. I haven't checked today's mail yet ... I have two exams today to focus on that are keeping me from being a wreck. G'Luck

good luck guys. i will be checking my mail this week for Iowa also.

REPORT BACK PLEASE!

3 tests and counting.... :scared:

kmjannie said:
Cheers,
KJ
did you apply last year? for some reason I thought I remember your username from these threads when I applied to Iowa last year.

I applied for the class that entered in 2003.

I have the lucky (or unlucky) #13 on resident alternate list. I guess last year they went to #31 on waitlist and #23 the year before so it usually gets accepted. Not an outright acceptance but definetly could be worse. Oh well I guess I will wait some more.......

TommyK said:
I have the lucky (or unlucky) #13 on resident alternate list. I guess last year they went to #31 on waitlist and #23 the year before so it usually gets accepted. Not an outright acceptance but definetly could be worse. Oh well I guess I will wait some more.......

Not that you'd care since you're from IA, but for us nonresidents that might be interested, where'd you find out how far down the waitlist they've gone the last couple years? Any information on the out of state precedence? I'd love to know about what my chances are if I'm waitlisted...My mailbox had nothing in it but I'm in southern missouri... hopefully tomorrow will have good news.

Thanks a bunch.

I would call the admissions office number. They are pretty nice and gave me the basics. After searching "iowa and alternate" I believe the non-resident alternates will get accepted up to anywhere from the #30s to #50s depending on the year. Just search it. There was a lot of info on it but I wasn't paying particularly close attention to the out of state alternate list. Good luck.

ribbi_j said:
Not that you'd care since you're from IA, but for us nonresidents that might be interested, where'd you find out how far down the waitlist they've gone the last couple years? Any information on the out of state precedence? I'd love to know about what my chances are if I'm waitlisted...My mailbox had nothing in it but I'm in southern missouri... hopefully tomorrow will have good news.

Thanks a bunch.

Did anyone out of state receive anything? I am in CA. Thanks.

I'm out of town until Monday and it is killing me that I won't be able to check my mail until then. I wish we could just call and ask. Oh well, I guess. Well, good luck to everyone. I hope we all get in.

I was also wondering if the envelopes were thick or thin for those of you who got either a waitlist or acceptance. Just curious.

fortunefaded said:
I was also wondering if the envelopes were thick or thin for those of you who got either a waitlist or acceptance. Just curious.

rejection envelopes are thin and obvious....got mine yesterday....good luck to everyone else!

waitlisted (thin letter)...and they gave me my # on the waitlist...how considerate. :D

Just got the letter today,
Got me a good spot on the waitlist :)

Feels good to know I'll be going to med school.

I received my letter today and I got waitlisted. :( I am a non-resident and wondering what my chances are for getting off the waitlist (#29). Any thoughts? Thanks!

accepted today (saturday) :)

I'm out of state. Thick envelope.

lis79 said:
I received my letter today and I got waitlisted. :( I am a non-resident and wondering what my chances are for getting off the waitlist (#29). Any thoughts? Thanks!

wow...i'm REEEEALLLLLY close to your ranking. let's just say if i get
a call u may get one too. :D

ellia08 said:
accepted today (saturday) :)

I'm out of state. Thick envelope.

congrats! :thumbup: when did you interview?

They said there is a lot of movement off the non-resident waitlist so i would think that you guys would have a pretty good shot at getting in.

Out of State Waitlisters,

I talked to the office today and got some info to pass on to everyone on the out of state waitlist.
39 people from the out of state waitlist are currently in last years class. of those the last person taken was number 71 from the original list. The year before that the last person taken was number 51 and in 2000, they dipped all the way into the 90's to fill the out of state portion of the class. Hopefully this helps and eases the anxieties of some folks. Good luck everyone

dave

TommyK said:

Based on the above, I have the (apparently) unlucky #39 on the resident alternate list.

Whew. I went to my parent's house today to pick up some things and I dug around in a pile of mail only to discover that I had received an acceptance to Uni. of Iowa a couple of days ago. Mom said she didn't think anything of it and assumed it was junk mail. lol

I'm not 100% on going to Iowa (in-state applicant here). I have already been accepted to DMU and love that school a lot too. I will decide within the week.

Good luck to all applicants waiting to hear and the waitlist crowd.