anyone hear from Ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here been accepted or rejected yet??

Members don't see this ad.

jimjones,
I just got accepted last thursday to rcsi. I interviewed early in Feb. in Boston. Have you spoken with any students at rcsi? Do you know of any substantial reasons for an American student to not attend?
Did you apply to american schools?
I am still waiting on several applications in the U.S., but will most likely attend rcsi in the fall.
-grad'02

hi..i am intersted in going to RCSI....what were your stats like (MCAT and GPA)..just to get an idea...and how was the RCSI interview???...do they grill you???

thanks for your help..and congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, anyone who can post stats for any of the 4 Ireland schools through Atlantic Bridge, it would be greatly appreciated! Also, when are application deadlines for Ire. schools. Do they coincide with American schools. I am very interested.

Thanks.

The deadline for Atlantic Bridge is Nov. 15, or it was for this last year. Irish schools commence in October, so it falls roughly the same time as US med schools, although US med schools tend to start in August and September.

I just found out that my registrar's office didn't send Louis Keenan of Atlantic Bridge my fall semester transcript even though I ordered it in January. F#@$%!#@ registrar. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but plan to do so in April, my GPA is a 3.75 (hopefully too after this sem). Am waiting for word from Trinity College who should be notifying people this month and next. But also hope to interview with RCSI in May/June.

Sorry I took a while to get back.
Now, please do not use my stats as a guideline because I have no idea what they use as cutoffs (just like american schools..who knows?), etc. Also, I am not sure how much weight is given to each portion of the application during their decision process. here i am...
30 MCAT
B+/A- av.(from rep. school).

This feedback about ireland is very helpful...I found your posts - Csand1, leorl. Its exciting to know that you all are considering rcsi. I hope we get to speak face to face someday in ireland.
-grad02

Oh, and the interview...
Not very difficult, not too easy. My interview lasted about 40 minutes and was administered by two members of the committee. Know about yourself and what you can offer to the school...just show them who you are(dare I say be yourself). They were cordial..very nice people, no one to be intimidated by.
I know this is very general, but I hope it helps
-grad02

Ooooh I see, you're out of high school applying for the 6 year program. I think the rest of us will be college graduates entering their 5 year program. So CONGRATS!! You'll probably enjoy it very much (well, as much as one can enjoy med school)

are any of the irish schools using USMLE style exams??..do they get you ready for the USMLE??

No, I am graduating from college..I'll be in the five year program.

oh, sorry grad! whoops!

As to USMLE prep in Ireland. The Irish schools do not gear you for the USMLE like some of the Aussie schools, North Americans wishing to take the USMLE have to study on their own time outside of class. I'm not sure what kind of blocking they use, but the north americans taking the usmle typically take them in the summers and return home for it. No one I know has had a problem with this. I believe there may be a Kaplan USMLE prep class in Dublin, but I've never heard of anyone taking it.

As for interviews, I've heard absolutely nothing, although I'm not sure if that was affected by the late status of my application, since my freakin' school seems to have problems with getting transcripts and letters of rec. in on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason I am interested in stats is because I have heard that the Ireland Schools do not interview (except for RCSI). It is mostly about what you look like on paper. I was also wondering: I was a non-science major undergrad (psych). Would just the premed prerequs. be preparation enough to enter the 5 yr. program instead of 6.

jm1021, I think that's a question you'll have to talk with the specific medical schools about...or maybe even get advice from the atlantic bridge people, because most schools on their websites say they specifically look at science graduates for consideration for the 5 year program. While they do value the psychological aspect of health, I don't know if they'll think that just taking the premed courses will suffice cuz some of the 1st year courses include stuff like biochem and the beginnings of anatomy modules.

Hey Jim, just wanted to let you know I got into RCSI (5 year program) not being a "hard" science major. My degree is in Health Sciences.

Just curious. Everyone seems to be talking about RCSI and Trinity. Is anyone applying to University College Dublin. I'm biased considering that I'll graduate from UCD in 8 weeks time. But, they are all essentially the same education - with one caveat: UCD will not baby you through and prepare you for the USMLE - you must figure out US requirements and study for boards on your own time. However, it's much cheaper than RCSI - on the order of many thousands of euros/year (and I think cheaper than Trinity). Really I"m just curious if UCD is being promoted by Atlantic Bridge?

i was under the impression that none of the Irish schools train you for the USMLE?????....so your saying that UCD doesnt while trinity and RCSI do???

i'm confused..please help!?!?!

HI, I applied to UCD. The Atlantic Bridge allows you to apply to UCD, Trinity, RCSI, and UCC. I applied to all 4. Can you give examples of difs between UCD and Trinity? If I am accepted to both, no idea which I'd pick. THanks

Dublingrad, i don't think you have anything to worry about. People talk about RCSI and Trinity more because those just happen to be the ones that are more well known. Kind of like in the US how some people are like "huh??" at Case Western, while others are like "oh, great school." UCD is a very fine school. There's essentially no difference in terms of educations and standards between any of the Dublin med programs. Probably not among any of the Irish schools either, but I only know about the Dublin ones. I haven't looked at figures yet, but yeah it's probably a little less expensive than Trinity and a lot less expensive than RCSI. I'm not sure if UCD is hooked to any particular association in the US, I know that Trinity is very well associated with the american pediatrics association (I think that's what they're called, my old pediatrician told me about it and encouraged me to apply to TCD because of it).

Atlantic bridge doesn't promote any of the colleges more than the others. It just offers the programs on the website without any bias. As for USMLE, NONE of the Irish schools gear north american students for it. All those wishing to practice in the US must study for it on their own.

Differences between TCD and UCD....in terms of med ed, not a whole lot. The setting itself...well, TCD is older...the oldest college in the Republic of Ireland and modeled off Oxford/Cambridge. Therefore, the school itself has a lot of history and tradition, and cool buildings/classrooms that make you feel like you're in a 1920s movie setting or something. The gym facilities SUCK, but they're planning a renovation in the near future. It's mainly famous because of humanities (classics, English, drama) and have produced famous authors/playwrights. However, it does get a lot of attention as a research university and science facilities are good there, even among older buildings (you'll have anatomy in an old building but then science labs in a relatively new building). Computer access is terrific.

UCD is not as aesthetic as Trinity, but might have more modern facilities. I bet Dublingrad could tell you more! The gym facilities are definitely WAY better than Trinity's at the moment, and is not such an "old boys" school. UCD's fame lies in its business/economics, and social sciences...but again, the med program is excellent and respected as well. Although Trinity requires more leaving cert. points (that Irish secondary school students have to take), both med programs take only the ones with very high marks.

That's about all I can tell you unless you ask specific q's. hehe but UCD is in for a good arse-whippin' at this year's Colours boat race :wink: .

it must be very difficult to study for the USMLE on your own...how do you guys handle it???
i thought Ireland was a good bet for canadians and americans so thats why i was interested..but if its not gear towards the USMLE....thats an added weight on your shoulders...do you think an of the aussie schools are better suited for USMLE??....or should i go to SGU or Ross??

i mean if you are an american or canadian and graduate from ireland...where u going to practicE???

ireland???

I do not think "gearing" for USMLE is all that important. In the US, it's not like you get a USMLE class either, unless you take Kaplan or TPR. WHat is meant by "gearing" is that your basic classes will cover all the material on the USMLE, but as with the MCAT...it's up to you to practice and study on your own.

However abroad, they have their own curriculum which might not necessarily follow ours. But usually med ed is pretty standard.... you have biochem, anatomy, pharmacology/immunology, etc etc etc. wherever you go. But they won't pick out stuff and say "this is going to be on your USMLE." As well they shouldn't, they do not have a responsibility to cater to Americans. North Americans also go to Ireland for more Clinical exposure which will also help on boards exams.

I don't believe you have to worry with the Irish schools. Many North Americans do just fine, get great scores...or at least pass :wink: . Going to Australia with that belief is a little flawed. Aussie schools do not cater to USMLE needs either, except for Flinders, I have heard. While the Aussie schools are wonderful, I believe I've heard their system (PBL) and focus in more social areas vs hardcore sciences during the first couple years makes studying for the USMLE a bit harder. Do a search on Aussie schools on SDN and you'll see various opinions.

If you are that worried about it, perhaps you should not be looking into foreign schools but into staying domestic. However, I would not advocate going to the Carribean over Irish and Australian schools either. USMLE studying will be an added weight no matter where you go, and there are no foreign schools save Carribean schools or extensions of American schools that are specifically designed for Americans in foreign countries.

do you know if as a canadian..you would be able to practice in europe after graduating from ireland??

thanks

I am not sure about practicing in Europe in general. If you go to an Irish school, you could potentially practice in Ireland, and then I'm assuming your degree would hold in europe. However, the main concern before that would be getting residency. In order to work in Ireland, you would have to do residency in Ireland (or that would be the easiest way). It's very hard for international students to obtain an Irish residency position, but a couple of my Canadian friends have. It's very competitive, and irish nationals are given priority, but not impossible. After that, they will probably stay in Ireland or see the conditions for practicing in other European countries.

I think I'll try to address a few different posts with this one. I am an american (born and raised in San Diego and a graduate of UCLA - BS in psychobiology) that preferred to study at UCD. so, I can address some concerns related to Americans/Canadians studying in Ireland.

First, I don't think there is any difference between the education at any of the four schools. You will get a great education at all of them. But, of course, you will get out of it what you put into it.

I personally think that you're better off going to Trinity or UCD over RCSI primarily to save some money. If money isn't an issue, flip a three sided coin.

The schools are well known in the states and you will get plenty of interviews if you study, get competitive board scores, and good letters of rec.

all of my classmates (from canada/states) did relatively well on the boards (200-250+) with most falling somewhere around 220. The other score breakdown that is better known on this side of atlantic corresponds to 80-99. There were two 99's from my class. Unfortunately, neither were myself. There were a number of students (primarily Irish) that failed the boards. I believe they failed because there was no pressure to do well and study hard for them. From my school we have people going into Path, EM, Internal med, surgery, and I am hoping to get Diagnostic Radiology. On all of my interviews (nearly everyone had a similar experience) I was amazed by how well known and respected UCD/Irish schools are. I was in Pittsburgh at a community hospital for one interview and two well respected attendings were grads of UCD. So, I didn't get ANY foreign grad grief on my interviews. It was a pleasant surprise.

My advice to anyone considering Ireland - stay in Dublin (Trinity, UCD, RCSI). Your travel options are much better - why not enjoy living in Europe while you can - and there is more to do than in Galway or Cork.

If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer them but finals are rapidly approaching and I've got a few things to look over :confused: .

Two final comments. UCD will win the Colours and anyone that doesn't like cloudy, windy weather should prepare themselves accordingly. Dublin is NOT San Diego or Los Angeles so it was a difficult change for me to accept.

DublinGrad,
I was wondering if you would mind filling me in on some financial info. I will be applying to medical school for the class entering fall 2003, and like you, studying in Ireland might be something I choose to do. I am just trying to weigh all factors. Here are a few questions:
Will loans cover the total cost of education over there?
Ballpark figure of what one might spend on living expenses, and if loans will cover any of that.
What is the approximate total debt for American students? Does that 5th year end up costing a lot more?

No matter where I go to school, loans are paying for it all, so I just want to make sure Ireland is a feasible option. Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

who told you they take only 5 a year??

whoa CS, they definitely take more than 5 international students per year :) . Remember, they like US/Canadian money. Actually, I remember doing a pub crawl with Trinity's biological society (the one that the medical students join, they squirt peach schnopps at you with a syringe). I made friends with new zealanders, australians, americans, canadians, and 2 gals from England. I don't recall meeting a single Irish person that time. I have quite a few Irish med student friends, but also a good handful of their international med students. I can't say what percentage of each class is international, perhaps you could email them and see if they publish statistics like that.

Differences? hmm, you'd have to post a specific question because in general terms, the differences...and similarities have been outlined. It's hard to say differences except ones of aesthetics and facilities because the standards and education are pretty much the same.
I only know one Trinity med program professor, and he is a standout one for being very demanding and likes to yell, but in reality if you get to know him he's rather personable,hehe. So what would you like to know?

About the loans question...loans should be able to cover it, I haven't explored that question because I personally am not looking to take out loans.

LA FHEILE PADRAIG!!!!!!! To those in Dublin, have an awesome day dodging the US tourists, the awesome parade, and the green guinness with shamrocks in the head :) . I missed out a bit last year cuz of FMD, but got to see some fireworks! Drink up for me!

to get a residency in the states..most residency programs want some clinical experience in the states??

how many months of electives do u get at an irish medical school??

and is it difficult to obtain an elective in an american hospital??

irish and australian schools will provide a rigorous enough education to leave you in a position to do well on the USMLE's. If you feel uncomfortable, take a Kaplan course in your holidays before taking them. There's other benefits to Ireland/Australia over the Caribbean schools: a new culture, a normal life (imagine you can still go out Saturday nights clubbing or relax on a Sunday afternoon at the pub with classmates.) Or on a term break, head to London or Paris, or Fiji or New Zealand if in Aus. Compare that to being sequestered on an island for two years!

Trinity only relies upon stats. They do not require MCAT scores, nor do they require an interview. UCD requires MCAT scores, but I don't think an interview...only RCSI interviews. I don't know what weight is given to GPA and MCAT scores, but Trinity would be 100% reliant on GPA and personal essay.

Could someone tell me general tuitions for RCSI and Trinity? I have heard that RCSI is a lot more expensive than any other irish school, but when I was looking on the web yesterday I saw the RCSI brochure. It says that RCSI tuition is 17,140 Euros + a matriculation fee of 133.32 and a registration fee of 126.97. That puts total school-related fees at around 17,500 Euros. Then, I found an old Trinity brochure from the 2000-2001 year. For Non-Eu students, tuition was 17,776 Euros and that has probably increased by now. HMMM? So I don't get how RCSI is more expensive when Trinity's list fee is a bit more pricey for international students.

Are the premed course requirements for the Irish med schools comparable to the ones for U.S. med schools (biology, chemistry, physics, etc.)? I went to the Atlantic Bridge Web site and couldn't find a definitive answer. Also, does know if they care what your major was as an undergrad?

Okay, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but go to the tcd website (www.tcd.ie) and go to the faculty of medicine, and they will have a link for admissions requirements. They'll tell which subjects the students have to take for their leaving cert, as well as the standards needed for entry. I think they had to have taken the leaving cert in chemistry and physics, I'm not sure about biology.

As far as major...for the 5 year program, they require that you graduated with a degree in a science major. I'm not sure how lenient they are with that, or whether they consider graduates with non-science majors for their 6 year programs.

btw, you an english major? :)

Leorl,
Yes, I'm an English major. Guess the name kind of gives it away. :) Thanks for the info. I'll check out that link you suggested, and I'll also check with individual schools to see if they'll give a poor English major a break. :)

A kindly RCSI student emailed me and said tuition for RCSI is roughly 25,000 Euros which is about $22,000 USD. This person said that a lot of American students take out stafford loans to the tune of about $35,000. Apparently, American students have a lot of leverage at RCSI (i.e. participate fully in events, even student government and med clubs), and are very happy there.

I have yet to hear from my Trinity friends, but the last I looked it was around 17,770 euros for the 2000-2001 year, so Trinity does end up being a little less.

In May???! Brilliant!! That works out better with my timing than April would. I have heard there is a Kaplan USMLE prep in Dublin, but I have never actually heard that anyone uses it. You might actually want to check with Kaplan for that answer.

As far as USMLE month off, I don't believe Trinity has one, but that doesn't hinder their ability to study by themselves and do well. My friends just studied during the holidays and took them in the summer (I think one of them did it this past August).

I got my UCD acceptance back in February, but I declined it.....
Applied to the six year program at UCD, TCD, and RCSI

stats: 3.65 gpa, 93% out of high school....

good luck

jm1021
what kind of loans can one borrow to study abroad and how does one go about it? i am sorry i have no idea because this will be my first and i too will definitely need a loan.Plus how long does the processing take? Thanks a lot i appreciate your help.

Did they really say decisions won't be till May??
:p

I applied to both Irish and Australian schools and chose Australia for two reasons: shorter course (4yr vs. 5yr) and cheaper. Next, think about where you want to practice, is it back in the States? Then, both are equally well-respected, and you'll have to go through the fmg process either way. You're residency options will, too, be equally limited because you're not an American grad. Basically, whatever's hard to get is a little harder, not impossible, just harder. An Irish degree is fully recognised throughout the European Union, but an Australian degree is fully recognised by United Kingdom only. (Meaning you don't have to jump hoops to have your degrees recognised if you wish to train in those countries) These details may not play any role in your decision if you come back to the States. Another point:hungover:istance. You're looking at about a 15 hour flight between Sydney and L.A. and about a 4-5 hour flight between NY and Dublin. Obviously, the latter being much cheaper. Finally, philosophy of education. Irish schools are traditional, didactic programs with a clear division between pre-clinical and clinical learning. The Australian grad programs are PBL, problem based learning centered around a systems approach. Either way, I don't think you can lose. Just choose what's best for you.

I'm applying to both, and it's really really hard for me to decide. Maybe rsk can help me out AGAIN :) . I really should send him and kimberli cox a present.

My attraction is more for Australia...I've already been to Ireland, and while I made some of the best friends of my life there, I've already been there and done that. I've never gone to Australia and I'm told the country is perfectly suited for me, so I'm curious. Plus great weather, (hot guys ehhe), beaches, etc.

My issue right now is one of timing. rsk, how did you handle it? See, supposedly I'll hear from Trinity in May, and then RCSI in September...from what i hear, they usually want your response in a week. However, Australian applications don't even open until May, with decisions commencing in late September/October. This causes a bit of a time conflict.

Also, I really wanted to go to Univ. of Melbourne (my sis was accepted there for grad school), but if you have a good science background, you skip 1st semester...that means you don't start college until July! Well july, heck, I might as well wait a month and stay in the US, not that I want to. Unless I attend 1st semester to get used to the setting. Or pick another school as my first choice. Yargh. I really like the PBL format too.

I dunno, it's up in the air right now, but I know I'll be happy at both places. I love Ireland, and it is a shorter distance to travel. I want to see Australia and living expenses are cheaper. It's really hard to balance the pros and cons.

CSand1, no I don't think a lot of people who apply to Ireland and Australia apply to the offshore schools. Our reason for choosing these countries is quality of education PLUS experiencing a new culture. The carribbean...while it's a nice vacation spot and has a separate culture, is kinda considered a US hand-me-down. I'm probably gonna get flamed for that, but it doesn't have that uniquely worldly feel that the european/oceanic areas do. Plus, the whole stigma of lack of quality at some of the caribbean schools, although ones like SGU and Ross seem to be quite reputable. But going completely international for me seems to be a much better bet.

How come everyone's saying they get responses in May??

I just spoke to Keenan over at atlantic bridge,
he told me that UCD begins notifying applicants by the end of March... that's this week!

i applied to UCD and RCSI... eagerly awaiting responses!

Accepted to UCD today. Anyone else?

Congratulations jimjones...

i'm still waiting to hear... what were your mcat scores and gpa when applying?

around 3.3oa, 3.4sc, 30MCAT. I think I have a well rounded ap also.