anyone hear from Ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this info. separate from the application for housing AB sent you? (and trinity did again along with the official offer for placement in medicine)? If not, maybe I should pop them an email and see what the housing situation is.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really remember, but I don't remember sending it in with the housing app. I paid the $15 fee, but I think you pay the $165 or whatever after you receive a room. Oh wait, that's for Trinity only so I don't know how the rest of the colleges handle the application.

Buy them here, they do sell US to Irish converters but probably at a more expensive price and shoddier. Also, gee, don't ship your desktop :). There are computer labs. And I know it's not like having your own in your room, but it's either get a laptop or use the labs. Shipping would be way high for trying to ship your desktop. Also, most major electronics appliances (laptops, PDAs, etc) come with ac adapters that can handle international voltage. This is means that you don't have to by a voltage converter, but you only have to get an adapter plug so you can fit your thing into the irish plugs. International means: 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz. Those are the exact ranges printed on all adapters able to handle worldwide voltage. (Physics, remember? watts = power. Volts = voltage :) , Hz = frequency).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Just wanted to find out how many people have decided to go to Trinity. Just about 2 months to go. As of now I know P and I are going for sure. Leorl ..I assume you aren't going to Australia anymore?.Pnkjnky ..what's your situation.I'm really looking forward to the whole experience and meeting all of you
cheers,
S
PS-Does any one know what exactly goes on during the orientation week besides the obvious settlement of paperwork etc.Will we get to meet the rest of our class then?

Oh..one last thing..anyone else assigned to a room in GMB?:)

Hmm, okay time to pop them an email. I haven't heard ANYTHING about housing yet, and I sent my application in really early. GMB is nice. It caught on fire last year (the attic, not the rooms). It was interesting seeing the roof on fire with this lone firefighter up there putting it out. Anyway, they're nice. But...you have a curfew???? I can't remember how it works.

I haven't ruled out australia yet, but it's looking more and more likely I'm going to Ireland. I have to hear back from the Aussie people first. During orientation week, you meet with your tutor and probably at least some of the students, the graduate-entry students anyway. You also walk around and sign up for clubs, a lot of clubs also hold their first meetings during orientation week or the week after. ya just see the sights and get ready for class, i guess! Kinda similar to orientation week here (meeting your advisor, moving in, getting books, visiting the activities fair, etc.)

hee hee! awwww I was just jokin! :) anyway, do you know the limit on how much airlines let you carry? I'm not planning on bringing that much stuff, but a little always turns out to be more than ya think! btw, airfare...I think american airlines has the cheapest deals right now ..if you're planning on returning around christmas. The cheapest I've seen is for like $735 if you leave Sept. 27th or so and return Dec. 20th or so. Round trips are always cheaper than one way

I'm a student in Dublin (its great there by the way). Just wanted to give you guys a tip, book a ticket for a year from the US (most student tickets allow this for the same cost as a 2-3month ticket which is still more expensive than a short <30day trip) and book your return in May or June (whenever the term is over), then book your ticket home at christmas from dublin. Its cheaper and easier this way for 3 reasons.

1. airline tickets seem to be cheaper in dublin/better deals
2. you will only be buying a short 2-3 wk ticket for christmas so you pay less than a ticket for 3months.
3. you will know exactly at that point when 1st term exams finish and when 2nd term starts.

Alot of people do it this way, check it out and see what works better for you. Just my 2cents. Enjoy Ireland, its really hard not to.

OH YEAH!!! I Forgot about the whole airlines thing being cheaper from Dublin. THANKS! Oh wait...but the deal I have you can only be gone for a max of 6 months. Hmm. I also don't know if I will be going home for the summer. I'm going to try to get a work visa for the summer months (I don't know if that is allowed), cuz a lot of major training happens in the summer.

I'm afraid i don't know too much about Cork, its a fun town and yes, the people are very friendly. Its much smaller than dublin as i'm sure you know but its considered irelands 2nd city. Cork has a really good jazz festival and its supposed to have a pretty good music scene year round. I know nothing really about UCC, i know there are alot less internationals there than at the dublin schools but i'm sure thats not news to you. Ive heard that its a nice modern campus but i haven't actually seen it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Try calling student services at UCC i'm sure they would be able to give you tons of information or student contacts. Good luck.

pnk jnky,
I sent you an e-mail.

Originally posted by grad02
jimjones,
I just got accepted last thursday to rcsi. I interviewed early in Feb. in Boston. Have you spoken with any students at rcsi? Do you know of any substantial reasons for an American student to not attend?
Did you apply to american schools?
I am still waiting on several applications in the U.S., but will most likely attend rcsi in the fall.
-grad'02

Hi, I am an Australian currently going on to second year in RCSI. Just wondering how you guys know about to apply RCSI. (I found it years ago on the net by pure luck. Couldn't wait for postgraduate in Australia, thus heading for Ireland.) Also, are you being accepted in first year or pre-med?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard about RCSI from being in Dublin previously, and because my pre-med advisor knew of it (the little that she does know). Also, the Atlantic Bridge program through which most US and Canadian applicants apply list RCSI on their site, so inquiring minds check out RCIS's website.

Okay, for Trinity there are two rounds of housing assignments. I wasn't successful the first round, leading me to ask, what is the criteria for one to "become successful" in housing assignments?? is it random, or are they somehow picking and choosing? I don't really understand how they do it. I turned my thing in as soon as I got it, so they got it late June/early July.

Hey everyone...just wanted to say thanks for all the info! Everyone on the Ireland threads have been great! I also wanted to post and say I am finally done. I turned down Rush University in Chicago last week, sent a letter to Sydney declining my deferred offer there, I received housing in Goldsmith Hall and I am off to Dublin come late September. I am looking forward to meeting everyone who is attending Trinity and getting ready to tackle the *&%$# load of work we are going to have together. How exciting!!! What an experience this is going to be for all of us! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck as things begin to wind down and tell people to enjoy them selves before the real fun begins. Ha ha. Wooo hoooo Anatomy, biochemistry, some of the best clinical training in the world, meeting new people, studying?a ton, traveling all over Europe, going out for pints, participating in clubs, athletics?I only have one last thing to say...BRING IT ON! Wake up and smell the formaldehyde folks, it?s time to get excited!

Ps Anyone else besides Coach P and I heading to Trinity????

Good choice P. I hope to see you in about a year and some change. Keep all of us who are going to apply this year updated on how Trinity/Dublin is treating you. Best of luck.

Thanks for the sites Trinners. Hmm. Significant contribution to campus life? yeah...? I've done a year there before and rowed for their highly successful team? Hmm, I hope I get placement during the second round, although the website made it sound like all allocations have been made. Because if I have to go find housing, that would be a serious bitch. (sorry for the annoyance, I have not had a good day).

Leorl - did you say on your rooms application that you've had rooms in College already? Because there's such demand for rooms if you've already lived in College for a year you are unlikely to get a room again. Friends of mine who spent a year in rooms as an ungergrad in Trinity have been told to forget about submitting an app for rooms during their time as a graduate student (unless there's significant medical/personal reasons).

Give Margaret Woodbyrne in the Accommodations Office a call and see what the story is. She's really nice...

No, I never was in rooms. Last time I was in Rathmines, which was okay but made getting to training a pain in the butt. The main reason I want rooms besides the obvious convenience factor is because it would cut down on the time it takes to get to the boathouses, as well as convenient gym time (the little that's there hehe). I've been emailing this girl named Hazel who seems really nice...she just replied to me and told me it's all luck, but I'm wondering if I should email her my reasons and that I've attended Trinity before to see whether that would help. But then, that might just be pushing it?

Thanks. If not, Trinners, could you do me a favor and keep your eyes open for accommodations notices for places around campus in a suitable area? I'm not sure if housing availability is as bad as it was two years ago...i just got my place then completely by luck.

Leorl - did you get space on your application for a "supporting statement"? If not, I'd say it wouldn't do you any harm to email Hazel and tell her that you rowed for college etc etc.

I'll keep my eyes open for accommodation notices in College. They usually don't start appearing until Sept though. When are you planning to fly over? Decent, affordable accommodation in Dublin can be a major pain in the arse to find...

Thanks tons Trinners. When I leave depends on if I have to search for housing or not. I was planning on leaving Sept 27th, because I thought all medical international students would be guaranteed housing, but if not, then i'll have to leave earlier. I know it's a pain in the butt cuz I had to do it two years ago! And it doesn't only affect where I live, but when I leave (i.e. airfare costs) etc etc etc. I think I'm going to ditch the Australia plan, I don't really have any more time to wait.

Thanks for all your help, trinners. I'll email a supporting statement to Hazel (we weren't given room on our applications, but I figure it couldn't hurt). When I get over there, I'll bake you a neuron cookie.

There are 4-6 Internet sites advertising and dealing apartments for renting all over Ireland, include Dublin. Price ranged between 600EU to 1400EU monthly for one person. I happened to forget the address, but the RCSI student office knows about them.

There is a place - The Temple-Baa place can be cheap, but I personally think I can't handle that place too much at all.

The college have a place, Mercer Court, for students to stay for a year. Just next to Mercer library and a few 500 meters away from the college at York St. I never lived there, though.

Also, I think the best places are in Customer house square! Though there are no specific agents to deal with; all private dealing, just have to check the Irish newspaper/classfields.

http://www.daft.ie/

The Dublin Accommodation Finder Terminal is probably the best website for finding accomm in Dublin. Anything resonably priced gets snapped up pretty quick though . Some landlords might look for a reference from a previous landlord and/or an employer reference.

Temple Bar isn't that cheap anymore. Plus it is the city's party district so it can get noisy...

Customer House Square?!?! Do you mean Customs House Square? There are better places to live in Dublin...

Anywhere on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) line is as accessible as being in town. Pearse Street Station is right at Trinity's back gate near all the science/medical lecture theatres and the medical school office. Apartments in the city can be tiny but if you look further out they are generally larger and a bit cheaper.

hi. I live near temple bar and its not too bad as far as noise, can be a bit expensive though, but your walk home after a night out is not far. I have lots of friends who live in Custom House and its a really nice area, a bit of a walk from trinity and surgeon's but nice new apartments in a rapidly developing area. The area around St. Patricks is full of student apartments for relatively cheap, but it can be more dangerous than other spots (nothing too scary though). Mercer court is great for students at RCSI in their first year.
ok, thats it. good luck with the apt hunt. daft.ie is a good site.

Hey sounds like LEORL is heading to Dublin. I feel as if I should ask for her autograph when I meet her...the Queen of SDN Ireland threads! Whooo hoooo. :clap: Good luck with the housing search...I would offer to help, but I think everyone replying is far better versed in the subject as I know nothing at all. Making me pretty much useless...umm....never mind...I am going to shut up now. Good luck.

-p

LOL we'll have to get an SDN "convention" together...in Dublin!! SDN's going international, baby!!

But yeah. It looks like I am heading to Ireland :)

For those of you with rooms...can you tell me when it says you can start moving in? I'm going to use that date to plan travel time.

Leorl - the tenure for rooms usually begins the week before Michaelmas term starts which would be Monday 30th September, but it could be earlier for new entrants to College as registration for new entrants is also the week before term.

Hey LeorL...I am heading over around the 28th. They said that I would not be allowed to move into my room until the 30th, but I did apply to move in early. We'll see!! Anyway, pm me with any questions at [email protected]. I can also give you my number from there and we can chat some more.

-p

ps the info on the p's will be discussed at a later time.

Hey thanks P! I'm thinking, maybe if i go over the 25th then i'll get there on the 26th (thursday) when the paper with all the housing things available comes out. Or maybe try to secure one beforehand through daft.ie . However, I don't know how well that would work out, with me not being over there yet. I don't want to go too early in the event that I do get housing during the 2nd round of offers and then be stuck in a hotel for several nights...or having to bother my friends to put me up for a weekend. We'll see.

Trinners, I sent a supporting statement and they said they'd attach it to my application. So i dunno how much help that will be, since they probably won't look at applications if the draw is really random. I wonder when in early August they mean. the cheapest flights I've seen are under $700, and I don't know how long that will last. Maybe I should just book now and figure it out later. I would still have all of fresher's week to sort it out.

tell me the story of the P's! :) I'll give my number from there as well, closer to when I leave. That is, if having the battering in my phone die out completely didn't somehow obliterate it.

I am psyched LEORL...so far I have met two great people heading to Trinity...you and Coach P. I spoke with Coach P on the phone a few times and we are going to have a blast....while we study our a%$ off. Watch out. ANyhew, yeah drop me a pm at my e-mail above whenever you want to chat. You can probably answer a bunch of my questions. For starters, do you know what the best mobile service to get over there is? Oh and as for lap tops, are there any problems with formating between here and there? Do you happen to know when the examination period ends and what day we should book are flights home for in Dec? Any info would be very helpful. ;) THanks

-p

ps The story on the p's

Hey p!

IMHO, the best mobile service is O2 (the others are Vodafone and Meteor). For "pay-as-you-go" either O2 or Vodafone are pretty much the same. Contract phones usually work out cheaper with O2. Meteor has crap coverage - I'd give them a miss...

There's no probs using US laptops over here. Just remember to bring a socket converter for the plug.

Teaching for Michaelmas term ends officially on Friday 6 December. I think the histology practical exam is the following week and possibly other clinical skills exams. Dates for exams aren't usually set at the beginning of the year but the Health Sciences Faculty are usually mindful that a lof of medical students are from abroad and will be trying to get home for Christmas.

See you during freshers week :)

Thanks Trinners...that is helpful info. So how long after the term closes do finals usually take?? Would I be safe booking a ticket for the 19th or is it best to get an open ended ticket?? Any info would be great! What year are you in there? How have you enjoyed it so far?? I am ready to just start at this point...I have made the final decision, I know it's a crap load of work...let's just let it begin already! Sorry I am a bit anxious!

Thanks Trinners...I guess I am just going to have to buy a ticket and change the date once I figure out when the finals will be. Tons of fun. Anyway, thanks again.

-p

ps Sorry to pry, but what year are you there? Are you part of the North American contingency? :) Thanks

Hey, this question is for anyone....is it worth buying this crockery set for students or would I be better off buying it on my own:

This is what they give you for 165 Euro:

Quilt, Quilt cover, Pillow, Pillow case, 2 sheets

2 glasses, 1 tea towel, 1 plastic chopping board, 1 frying pan, 1
7" saucepan
1 6" suacepan
1 tin opener
1 wooden spoon
1 paring knife
a selection of tableware sufficient for two settings

I can't believe I am asking about crockery...things to know I guess. Excellent Smithers.....

thanks everyone....oh and I am living in Goldsmith, so I don't know if that will make a difference.
-p

Hmm P, that does sound useful. I'm not sure if you can get everything cheaper if you buy them in separate entities, but that one is convenient. But since you're in a suite-type thing, prepare to share your kitchenery :) Make someone else buy the hot pot :)!

BTW...trinners isn't part of the NA contingent. He's already at Trinity, having done both undergraduate and masters work. He is in our same program, that is the graduate-entry program for medicine so he'll be entering 2nd year with us. Hence, his name cuz he's a full out trinner :)

Btw P, if you've got AIM, IM me at screen name Leorl :)

Thanks for the intro Leorl! :laugh:

The crockery set sounds pretty good but they forgot the corkscrew and bottle opener!!!! ;)

*gasp* i KNEW they were forgetting something!!! (p.s. P, where are you getting this set?)

and HI P, i see you're viewing this the same time I am :).

and...I'm just posting so I can rate this thread :). How many times do you have to rate a thread before it shows up?

Thanks for the info LEORL. Looks like you sold me on the crockery set. It came with a sheet in the housing package. Hummm. Anyway, AIM...not so much a member because I can't access it from work. The e-mail address I posted above it the best way to reach me as I usually have my account open most of the day. E-mail me on that...probably the best way to get in touch with me. I am also unfamiliar with rating...humm.

Oh and Trinners...sorry to even consider you in the NA contingency! I know from living in Australia that can get a man smacked...bloody yanks! Ha ha woops. So we now know four of our fellow medical students entering Second Med! This is very cool. Does anyone know others starting at Trinity in Oct?? Tell us about yourself people. Where are we from and what do we do? What are your stories LeorL and Trinners?

Story buzz?

Hehe not much to tell. I graduated from Case Western Reserve University in the spring, and wanted to go to Trinity because I'd spent my junior year abroad there and loved it tons. I met other canadians and americans there pursuing med so I discovered it was an option for me, which I loved because I couldn't really see myself being happy staying in the States....I always knew I'd live elsewhere at some point, not because I am unhappy here at all, but because I just want to see other things. Hmm, so I earned BA's in Biology, Psychology and Classics (I triple majored) and my major extracurricular activity is rowing ;). I did the usual research/publication spiel, but rowing was my main activity. I didn't volunteer in a clinical hospital, but I volunteer by tutoring for AOL (Latin/Greek/Exercise stuff) and on campus. My main medical interest right now is sports med, so I want to do residency in whatever can get me there...PM&R, EM, or do I say..ortho. But I'm also interested in neuroscience (as that's my research) and neurology, as well as psychiatry. In other words, I tend to spread myself thin ;).

Anyway, I was also considering Univ of Melbourne in AUS, because my twin's going there for grad school in forensic psychology. However, as I've not heard from them yet and they put off my emails, I figure i'm not going to wait for them anymore. They only select 10 international students anyway so my chances would be slim.

I really hope to hear from the housing people soon, and I'm planning on booking my flight for the 25th or 26th of sept. I'll give you my phone number in sept. Really excited to meet y'all.

There's a 5th one..GlamGirl, but she's going to RCSI. We can still hangout :). And we can hang out with that lone UCDer too ;) *gasp*. ehhe (jimjones?)

Hi, yeah, what's with my being the only SDN'er to be going to UCD? Is there something I don't know about the place? :eek:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting psyched. My classes start before yours I believe, September 16. That may seem funny to you guys now, but I'll be the one laughing when I'm done in May and you are sweating it out till June.

My wife and I are going over August 20th and have 4 days in which to get an apartment for September 1st. Then the last week of August we are on a last minute vacation in the med somewhere.

OH my God! Jimjones...no one told you about the 'thing' at UCD??? Oh man! I can't believe you haven't heard that yet.

Kidding...ha ha. Good luck apartment hunting and have fun in the med...I figure we'll be visiting that area a bunch during our five years!

-p

word of advice jimjones... as soon as you're over there and settled into your hotel/hostel/whatever, get to an internet cafe and check out the irish housing sites (like www.daft.ie). It'll be harder since you don't have a phone, but check stuff out the day they advertise...cuz the housing situation in Dublin is a bit mad! There's another paper that comes out every Thursday...and Monday (i think it's monday) that has new apartment listings, I can't remember what it's called but I think it may be a magazine of the Evening Times. GOOD LUCK! it shouldn't be Soo hard to find something suitable, but even 4 days of apartment hunting can be quite enough.

Hey everyone...I am meeting up with a student entering 6th med at Trinity this afternoon, so post any questions you might have regarding moving, living expenses etc... He is close to the light at the end of the tunnel, so I am sure that he will be able to provide some invaluable insight into a plethora of things. Post your questions and I will post his responses tomorrow. I am leaving to meet up with him around 1 pm EST, so keep that in mind.

;)
-p

Hey Leorl (or any soon to be TCD meds),
I just read your post in the "no mcat" thread, and you mentioned that at Trinity they "like to see some sort of research." I have a decent GPA (3.75, plus two A's in physics this summer) and a bunch of good ecs, but pretty much no research experience. Do you think that will be a big problem? Trinity is my #1 choice, so I am hoping a lack of research will not put me at a severe disadvantage.

Finally it works!.For some reason I could no longer post replies under my old acct ie Coach P.Anyways, here's a question to Trinners/Leorl or anyone else who has lived on campus at Trinity.I have been assigned housing in the GMB and was wondering what the cooking facilities comprised?.Do we have a common stove/ refrigerator ?.

JMD, besides the GPA and the ec's I had a couple of publications when I applied to Trinity. As I found out later these seemed to have worked in my favor. One of my lor came from a Trinity grad here and he seemed inclined to believe that they like applicants with research experience.My tutor at Trinity works on the same stuff I have been doing here .Coincidence?.Maybe so..but embellishing that good GPA with some research couldn't hurt. That being said I wouldn't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't done a lot of research.Go ahead and apply!.Besides you have a year right?. Get yourself in a lab somewhere and start working the pipettes!:)
cheers

Hey coach p - the GMB is probably the best place to live in College! Cooking facilities in all rooms in College are basic but adequate. There's a common cooker, oven and fridge. There will probably be no microwave, toaster or kettle, unless someone else brings it and lets you share it.

Who's your tutor?

Hey Everyone!

I'm headed to UCD in September! Anyone else?!?