Anyone hear from PD about rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssPsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard from UCSF and Stanford but was wondering if anyone else hear from other programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from MGH/McLean, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Yale, Penn.

as it was offered i did hear from u colorodo, wash u and uc davis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, reading this type of thread from past years has been very helpful to me. On the other, I don't want to further the anxiety of those who haven't heard anything yet. Because of this, I'll wait til after match day to post program feedback on this thread for future readers.

However, if anyone going through this year's match wants to PM me to inquire about feedback (or lack thereof) from a specific program please feel free to do so. These are the programs on my current rank list, in no particular order: Columbia, Emory, Brown, Yale, UNC.

***Post Match Day Addendum: Rank List Feedback from Chair/PD/APD

To paraphrase:
*Columbia (phone call, early Feb): "you're ranked very highly and we hope to see you here next year"
*Emory (email, mid Jan): "we anticipate ranking you in the top portion of our list"
*Brown (email, late Jan): "we think you're a good fit for our program and hope to see you here in July"
*Yale (email, late Jan): "we were impressed by you and think you would flourish here"
*UNC (snail mail from chair, early Feb): "we really liked you and hope you liked us too"

What are you guys talking about? Do you mean that PD's contact you after you have submitted the ROL? Are they talking about your rank lists or how highly they have ranked you? :confused:

Has anyone gotten a call from Pitt, Pratt, OHSU, LIJ or Syracuse? How bout morgantown or UMDNJ?

Between my roommates and myself (all going for psych) we've been called by Stonybrook, Loyola, UConn, Texas A+M, Allegheny...

Just curious which programs are calling whom... and what they are saying!

What are you guys talking about? Do you mean that PD's contact you after you have submitted the ROL? Are they talking about your rank lists or how highly they have ranked you? :confused:

We're talking about as the rank list deadline approaches and PDs want to let you know that they are interested in you, in the hopes that perhaps they can tell you things that will make their program more attractive and perhaps, without asking directly, get some sense of your level of interest in their program. They do not know where you have ranked them and they do not tell you where they are ranking you. They may say things like "We plan to rank you highly," though this cannot be taken as a sure thing. If they really like you, you may very well get a call from the head of the department or from some head of service.

Ahhhhhh. I see how people could start to get worried if they don't hear from a program and whether or not that means they are not being ranked highly. It's like when I was applying to med school and I knew that UNC calls accepted applicants on Monday nights to deliver the good news over the phone. I spent so many sad Monday nights waiting for the phone to ring. It went on like that for several months until they finally rejected me. I didn't even make the waitlist. Good times...

I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, reading this type of thread from past years has been very helpful to me. On the other, I don't want to further the anxiety of those who haven't heard anything yet. Because of this, I'll wait til after match day to post program feedback on this thread for future readers.

I am with you on this. These boards can definitely freak people out. I was just checking out some Step 2 CS threads because I recently took the test (no P or F, yet). I wasn't really worried about it at all until I started reading peoples' horror stories i.e.- feeling great about the exam and then failing. Now I have this ominous "I failed" feeling

Anyways, point is I don't want to give anyone that feeling... so i'll just wait and celebrate with everyone on SDN after match day... when we're not all basing our futures on bump-us-up-your-list propaganda from PDs :)

However, if anyone going through this year's match wants to PM me to inquire about feedback (or lack thereof) from a specific program please feel free to do so. These are the programs on my current rank list, in no particular order: Columbia, Emory, Brown, Yale, UNC.

If anyone is going to be scarred by reading this thread, then it is their own fault; those who read this thread know full well what they are seeking when they click on the link.

These boards can definitely freak people out. I was just checking out some Step 2 CS threads because I recently took the test (no P or F, yet). I wasn't really worried about it at all until I started reading peoples' horror stories i.e.- feeling great about the exam and then failing. Now I have this ominous "I failed" feeling

It's like watching a train wreck, sometimes you just can't help yourself even when you know better. Good luck with passing CS, let us know when you do so we can have a beer (or several) in your honor. :luck: :D

It's like watching a train wreck, sometimes you just can't help yourself even when you know better.

Exactly.

I'll definitely be down for some beer drinking once I get my score... but I think an "F" may actually call for more drinking than a "P" :D

I am with you on this. These boards can definitely freak people out. I was just checking out some Step 2 CS threads because I recently took the test (no P or F, yet). I wasn't really worried about it at all until I started reading peoples' horror stories i.e.- feeling great about the exam and then failing. Now I have this ominous "I failed" feeling

Anyways, point is I don't want to give anyone that feeling... so i'll just wait and celebrate with everyone on SDN after match day... when we're not all basing our futures on bump-us-up-your-list propaganda from PDs :)

Hey, I just retook step 2 ck for the second time last week, and CS a few weeks ago. At this point, if I fail either one, I'm REALLY hosed. I felt confident after each, but, well, yeah- I visited that forum too, and now I get the butterflies when I think about it! Nothing to do but watch the mailbox each Thursday, and wait for the scores to come in...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey JJBMSIV, does "INTJ" refer to your Myers-Briggs? If so, then you're destined to pass :)

*laughs* Indeed it does. Personality types are a hobby of mine, I find them fascinating. Thanks for the encouraging words, man!

SSpsych, did you hear from UCSF and stanford by phone or email? What did they say? Thanks.

UCSF, Stanford, and Longwood called. Yale emailed me.

Strangeglove, did Columbia and NYU call you or email you?

I've gotten a couple emails, though not from everybody. Zero phone calls.

UWash - email
Stanford - phone call
UCSF - phone call
UCLA - nothing?/don't remember
UCSD - email
Longwood - phone call
Yale - nothing?/don't remember
Penn - phone call
Columbia - phone call
Cornell - nothing?/don't remember

I suspect phone vs email might be a matter of institutional policy rather than an indication of how much they like you.

Actually I find the phone calls kind of annoying and weird. They basically force you to give some kind of indication of how you are ranking them. I wish everyone would just trust the Match and not play stupid games. I feel really rude about this but I have stopped returning them because I am tired of trying to find nice but ambiguous things to say.

Some of the programs actually called me multiple times, or did phone calls and emails. I am like, geez. I already said whatever I was going to say. Can you stop trying to mine me for information please? :mad:

UWash - email
Stanford - phone call
UCSF - phone call
UCLA - nothing?/don't remember
UCSD - email
Longwood - phone call
Yale - nothing?/don't remember
Penn - phone call
Columbia - phone call
Cornell - nothing?/don't remember

I suspect phone vs email might be a matter of institutional policy rather than an indication of how much they like you.

Actually I find the phone calls kind of annoying and weird. They basically force you to give some kind of indication of how you are ranking them. I wish everyone would just trust the Match and not play stupid games. I feel really rude about this but I have stopped returning them because I am tired of trying to find nice but ambiguous things to say.

Some of the programs actually called me multiple times, or did phone calls and emails. I am like, geez. I already said whatever I was going to say. Can you stop trying to mine me for information please? :mad:

Nice to be wanted.

Actually I find the phone calls kind of annoying and weird. They basically force you to give some kind of indication of how you are ranking them.

I hear ya. I was getting in my car carrying 2 bags of groceries when my phone rang... answered it without really looking thinking it's a friend, and it is a PD asking "So, do you have any questions? What else do you want to know about us?"

I wanted to ask her whether i should have the chicken gumbo or the baked potatoe soup that I just bought for dinner, but refrained.

The phone calls can definitely be akward.

so when you get a phone call from a PD or an email, how seriously do you take it? I mean, noone is giving up where they are ranking me, just that they are ranking me highly or would be honored if i came there, etc. So do you think they call their top 20 or just their top 10? Any thoughts? Should I let this effect my rank list? If you dont receive any contact but hear that others are, should you count yourself out? :eek:

They are so sneaky, doing this a couple days before lists are due. Couldn't they of done this like a month ago??? :mad:

I second that. Rank programs according to how much you liked them, not how much or little feedback you've gotten. If you look over past threads you'll see a number of posters who were misled by loving phone calls and emails from PD's, and a number of whom matched with programs that they never heard from at all.