anyone hear from USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So has anyone spoken to Eva lately? I can't seem to ever catch her :(

Members don't see this ad.

Mysteree said:
So has anyone spoken to Eva lately? I can't seem to ever catch her :(

Email her.....she gets back very quickly.....(if you need her address let me know)

has anyone heard when the next round goes out? i was told the end of this week....also, will this round be the last?

McGill Graduate said:
Email her.....she gets back very quickly.....(if you need her address let me know)

has anyone heard when the next round goes out? i was told the end of this week....also, will this round be the last?

Thanks, I do have her address. :) I can't imagine this coming round to be the last, cause I've noticed that they're interviewing people this week. I've hearing rumors (hopefully true) that this is the last batch. Cause that means that finally the waiting will be over!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats snail-mail some people have referred to rather then email...i hope this isn't a stupid question lol...sorry if im a little slow...is snail mail regular mail...

I just got an e-mail response today from Eva saying that they are hoping to have the next round of acceptances out early next week.

absurdhippo said:
I just got an e-mail response today from Eva saying that they are hoping to have the next round of acceptances out early next week.
which means at the end of next week lol... :scared:

absurdhippo said:
I second that ...I just talked to ryan and he said that the next acceptances are going out early next week and the class is 54% full. So there is still hope....

k now im confussed cuz eva said its almsot 3/4 full but ryans said 54% ..............which one is true??

gsJ said:
k now im confussed cuz eva said its almsot 3/4 full but ryans said 54% ..............which one is true??
I don't think its 3/4 full....I think they gave out acceptances for 3/4 of the capacity of the class but only 54% are attending, again its my understanding. Good luck!

mkdds said:
I don't think its 3/4 full....I think they gave out acceptances for 3/4 of the capacity of the class but only 54% are attending, again its my understanding. Good luck!

There is a deposit deadline on May 1st for the people who put down the first deposit.... My guess is that 3/4 of the class is full, but that only 54% is filled by people who have placed the 2nd deposit (so far).... I bet some more people will be putting down their second deposit by Monday (partly because they let you do it over the phone by credit card... that's what I did last time).... However, I would like to add that I just sent in my 2nd deposit for tufts (also due May 1st), so there's another spot open at USC...hopefully there will be plenty more for all of you...good luck!!!!

cgDDS, Just curious, why did you choose Tufts over USC??

I am in the same dilemma.

Members don't see this ad :)
well.. after interviewing at both schools, i felt like it was a no brainer (tufts over USC)... partly because i thought boston was great, tufts was more impressive, tufts is cheaper (by about 60k)0 and, most importantly, i really did not like pbl (among other things)....after being accepted to both schools the decision became a little tougher becuase i am from the west coast so i thought that it would make sense to attend usc if i am going to practice in california...

my decision was based on the fact that (in my opinion) tufts is a much better dental school than USC.... i think that USC is a very popular/prestigious school, but that their dental school does not live up to the name... in the end you're paying for the name of the school and not the "quality" of the education (mainly pbl)... i could go on a lot more about my decision (i have had over a month to think about it) but that's what it came down to.... if you want to hear any more just PM me....

cgDDS said:
well.. after interviewing at both schools, i felt like it was a no brainer (tufts over USC)... partly because i thought boston was great, tufts was more impressive, tufts is cheaper (by about 60k)0 and, most importantly, i really did not like pbl (among other things)....after being accepted to both schools the decision became a little tougher becuase i am from the west coast so i thought that it would make sense to attend usc if i am going to practice in california...

my decision was based on the fact that (in my opinion) tufts is a much better dental school than USC.... i think that USC is a very popular/prestigious school, but that their dental school does not live up to the name... in the end you're paying for the name of the school and not the "quality" of the education (mainly pbl)... i could go on a lot more about my decision (i have had over a month to think about it) but that's what it came down to.... if you want to hear any more just PM me....

USC PBL was designed for medical school students to have a strong science foundation, so you do get a good education there if you take advantage. The thing with USC is that it’s very easy to procrastinate, be lazy and therefore jeopardize your education. I personally know people there and last year 7 of them matched in OMFS. As clinical experience is concerned all I can say is "downtown Los Angeles."

I'd just like someone to tell me, why USC's adcom is incapable of sticking to a deadline? They've postponed their acceptance date, every single time! This is torture, cruel and unusual punishment! Anyone else feel the same?

jokerjoe12 said:
USC PBL was designed for medical school students to have a strong science foundation, so you do get a good education there if you take advantage. The thing with USC is that it’s very easy to procrastinate, be lazy and therefore jeopardize your education. I personally know people there and last year 7 of them matched in OMFS. As clinical experience is concerned all I can say is "downtown Los Angeles."

Also, 11 students matched into ortho. They have a high specialization rate.

PBL is very practical and has a lot of real world applications. Before I interviewed, I was a skeptic. But after I interviewed, I'm a believer. ;)

EyeAmCommi said:
Also, 11 students matched into ortho. They have a high specialization rate.

PBL is very practical and has a lot of real world applications. Before I interviewed, I was a skeptic. But after I interviewed, I'm a believer. ;)

Same with me, I feel I can fit in with PBL... sitting in class just gives me a headache. I'm a self-learner anyways... Plus for me, USC will "only" be about 260k since I can commute :thumbup:

pbl is not for everyone. grading can be quite subjective. everything has pros and cons. just think about it more and talk to people who are in the program, some people love it, others hate it.

Mysteree said:
I'd just like someone to tell me, why USC's adcom is incapable of sticking to a deadline? They've postponed their acceptance date, every single time! This is torture, cruel and unusual punishment! Anyone else feel the same?

I feel exactly the same....Ive basically given up, and the worst thing is that I am definately moving to Los Angeles (from Canada) because my fiancee has been accepted to the PhD computational biology program at USC.

O well theres always next year.....

McGill Graduate said:
I feel exactly the same....Ive basically given up, and the worst thing is that I am definately moving to Los Angeles (from Canada) because my fiancee has been accepted to the PhD computational biology program at USC.

O well theres always next year.....

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, maybe if you have to apply next yr, then you'll be a resident by the time you're accepted.

Don't give up just yet..there's still some teeny tiny hope for us. If you don't mind my asking, sas USC the only place you were interested in,because your wife will be going there, or did you have other accpetances as well?

Mysteree said:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, maybe if you have to apply next yr, then you'll be a resident by the time you're accepted.

Don't give up just yet..there's still some teeny tiny hope for us. If you don't mind my asking, sas USC the only place you were interested in,because your wife will be going there, or did you have other accpetances as well?

I hope you get accepted..if not this year you can reapply next year..it is never late..

Mysteree said:

:)

haha Mysteree.....im the wife....im female! And to answer your question, we applied to multiple schools in Canada and in the states including UBC, U of T, BoU, Tufts, UoP, to name a few.....Im waitlisted at BU but my fiancee wasnt accepted to harvard, mit or BU....(not sure yet if i get into BU what i'll do!).

Basically we had to make a decision, and the best decision for both of us was USC because it was the best program for him and, at the time, i was pretty confident I would be accepted too.... but Im still waiting (its been since January 20th) and its torture to be pulled along like this.

So I have decided if I dont get in this round, I will re-apply mid may, and start looking for jobs for the upcoming year....I have a masters degree so im hoping i will be able to find a job in a lab fairly easily :luck:

Anyway good luck to all of us, i hope we hear sooner than later!

Has anyone heard anything today?.......im probably being overzealous since "early next week" seems to mean "late next week"

McGill Graduate said:
Has anyone heard anything today?.......im probably being overzealous since "early next week" seems to mean "late next week"
I called and they said middle to end of the week..and since theres only a day between the middle of hte week and end of the week imma guess that its gonna be friday lol :scared:

Alrighty folks, it is the middle of the week. Let's hear some good news!

Anyone, anyone, anyone?

McGill Graduate said:
so i guess today is not the day?......

by friday for sure i hope :x:

McGill Graduate said:
This is rediculous...just say friday if you mean friday. Im so fed up!
me 2 McGill graduate....I just called them and they said " by the end of this week" so it's tomorrow...

Are they sending acceptances through e-mail now or just snail mail?

Do you think they gonna tell me if I email them asking about my status in the ranked waiting list? :confused:

c882115 said:
Do you think they gonna tell me if I email them asking about my status in the ranked waiting list? :confused:
Nope already tried... :(

li1p0ptart said:
Are they sending acceptances through e-mail now or just snail mail?

e-mail, they just take a little awhile to decide.

nope nothing yet ....the wait sucks

Are they going to postpone again???

littlepepe said:
Are they going to postpone again???

i think some are being sent out today via email. i got one around noon. :thumbup:

I can't believe this, but it's happened to me! =D I'M IN!!!! I JUST GOT AN EMAIL FROM EVA!!! So they did go out today! Don't give up guys, I'm sure you'll be hearing from her soon! I read the subject of the email and started screaming, I can't believe it's finally come true!

lifescool said:
i think some are being sent out today via email. i got one around noon. :thumbup:
You got one today @ noon?

I just got one too. I'm in!!!!! I can't believe it!!! I was just thinking I should retake the DAT for the next cycle. I check my email and then it happened!! Keep up hope out there!!!

Mysteree said:
I can't believe this, but it's happened to me! =D I'M IN!!!! I JUST GOT AN EMAIL FROM EVA!!! So they did go out today! Don't give up guys, I'm sure you'll be hearing from her soon! I read the subject of the email and started screaming, I can't believe it's finally come true!

Congradulations! Mysteree. Good luck. :luck:

I didn't get one this round. =/. For those of you who just got in, when did you interview? I interviewed two weeks ago.

Thanks littlepepe, will you be attending as well?

lipotart-I interviewed way back in mid Feb

littlepepe said:
Congradulations! Mysteree. Good luck. :luck:

I really dont get it.....what the hell do they think is wrong with me, i feel im an ideal candidate....this is so not fair....im so discouraged.

(congratulations to those who were accepted this round :) )

McGill Graduate said:
I really dont get it.....what the hell do they think is wrong with me, i feel im an ideal candidate....this is so not fair....im so discouraged.
I feel you...me 2 :mad: :(