1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone heard about Xavier Medical School in Aruba?? Please Advise!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prepharmgirl09, Jan 26, 2009.

1. A friend of mine contacted me today about Xavier Medical School in Aruba: http://edu.xusom.nl/

The website declares: "Our Medical School offers studies in the Caribbean with Guaranteed Clinical Rotations in the United States. Best of all there are no MCATs required for admission."

This also sounds too good to be true...and when something sounds too good to be true...well, you all know the end of that story. I just think it sounds really sketchy--please correct me if I am wrong about all of this. Give me some info if anybody has it about this school. To be honest with you, I think he is trying to take some shortcuts to get into medicine and I think he is really only hurting himself in the end.

Thank you in advance :)

2. chemnerd89

chemnerd89 In it for the lulz
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "The Xavier University School of Medicine at Aruba is prime choice for foreign students to persue their medical studies overseas in the Caribbean."

lol

and no "MCATs"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NotAndrew

NotAndrew Loves Jesus, America Too
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is a joke, right? It's been done a lot on this site...

Just to humor you - YES it is too good to be true. There really is little comparison between these Caribbean schools and US MD/DO schools.

But if they were good substitutes... it would be AWESOME to spend 4 years on a tropical island...

5. yungwunn911

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i was actually in aruba this month, and accidently passed by this medical school. I could be wrong, maybe I just saw one of the buildings, or the wrong building, but this school is ugly and creepy at night.

I feel bad for whoever goes there as it it very close to the bars and clubs. There's no way to get work done.

6. I wasn't joking around and I totally agree--it seems like a diploma mill and a scam to me. I just got off the phone with my friend again and I told him to take the MCAT and go to a real MD/DO school. There is no substitute for hardwork and he needs to get that. Thank you again :)

7. I wouldn't want to be at a creepy school either LOL :)

Definitely can't get work done being near bars or clubs! I will pass this along...hopefully my friend gets this stupid idea out of his head soon!

8. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

a few of them are supposed to be on par with american schools...ross, st. georges, and one or two others.

9. Lordhokage

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yeah, never heard of this one. Maybe their guarantee is a lifetime guarantee? Within your lifetime, I guarantee that you will be able to get a rotation?

10. I heard that there are a few legit schools down there...I pass that info along. Thanks again :)

11. LOL :)

It sure does sound sketchy!

12. dr zaius

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, watch out for those crazy Dane's if you go out to the bars in Aruba.

13. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    10+ Year Member

Everytime I see this, I'm reminded of Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock:laugh: Please tell me there's someone else who knows what I'm talking about.

Tracy: [doing commercial] Bread is one of the worst things in the world, but we've already needed it. Until now. By burning three different types of meat together, the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine takes bread out of equation. Now you're sandwich is all of the good stuff. That's delicious!
    Dr. Spaceman: And it's healthy. Hi, I'm Dr. Leo Spaceman. I'm a working physician with a degree from the Ho Chi Minh School of medicine.

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?
    Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keep stopping my research!

14. chemnerd89

chemnerd89 In it for the lulz
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great Show

15. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't mind living in Aruba for four years...

16. NoMoreAMCAS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I like, I like. Guess who just moved to the top of my med school list? I can't believe I wasted all that time with the stupid MCAT.

17. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

You mean the "MCATs"

18. medlover14

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Caribbean schools are largely alike - some have some bells and whistles that others don't and charge 3x the tuition, but at the end of the day, you are just paying for an opportunity to take the USMLE and be able to practice in the USA.
    Caribbean schools are legit and they are a way to do this for people who otherwise can't get into USA/Canadian med schools. It is definitely important to educate yourself thoroughly before starting these programs.
    I am a current student at a Caribbean website, and I am telling you it can be done. It's just not for everyone.

#18 medlover14, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  19. gonnif

gonnif Only 680 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    About a decade or so ago, getting an MD from one of the better off-shore schools was reasonable path to medicine in the US. At that time the number of US-based medical school graduates was about 8,000 less per year than the number of available residency slots. Since then, the number of graduates has increased tremendously but the number of residency slots has remained static. Off-shore schools are bearing the brunt of this residency squeeze filling only about 6,000 slots this year and predicted to drop to 3,000 or less in 3 to 5 years. Additionally, many of the lesser known off shore schools will be undoubtedly closing the 2023 date approaches to meet accreditation standards, yet no body has been established to do that. Lastly, there have several congressional bills to curtail loans to off shore schools, though inaction in congress has them at a standstill.

By the way, the performance comment should be looked at on how many start medical school, get a degree and then a residency slot. In US schools nearly 97% of those who start medical school get their MD within 8 years (accounts for those doing combined degrees. Of these 95% get slots. That is starting medical school to residency slot is 92%-93%. If you remove those going into research or other non-clinical fields and never go on to residency, that would go up a point or two. The "better" off-shore medical schools lose 50% of students and of those, 80%-85% get slots. So 40%-45% of those who start the better off-shore get a residency slot. The lower quality applicants leads to a tremendous rate of student drop out.

In sum you have close to a 95% chance of starting medical school in the US and getting a slot. You have half that much at 40%-45% from a "better" off shore school

20. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds legit.

I knew online med schools were going to become the next boom industry.

Aonyx, Tommyguns89 and DokterMom like this.
  21. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Those online cadavers are the future

DokterMom likes this.
  22. DokterMom

DokterMom SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Not even a U.S. based Website... What IS medical education coming to? :laugh: