Anyone heard about Xavier Medical School in Aruba?? Please Advise!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

prepharmgirl09

A friend of mine contacted me today about Xavier Medical School in Aruba: http://edu.xusom.nl/

The website declares: "Our Medical School offers studies in the Caribbean with Guaranteed Clinical Rotations in the United States. Best of all there are no MCATs required for admission."

This also sounds too good to be true...and when something sounds too good to be true...well, you all know the end of that story. I just think it sounds really sketchy--please correct me if I am wrong about all of this. Give me some info if anybody has it about this school. To be honest with you, I think he is trying to take some shortcuts to get into medicine and I think he is really only hurting himself in the end.

Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

"The Xavier University School of Medicine at Aruba is prime choice for foreign students to persue their medical studies overseas in the Caribbean."

lol

and no "MCATs"

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a joke, right? It's been done a lot on this site...

Just to humor you - YES it is too good to be true. There really is little comparison between these Caribbean schools and US MD/DO schools.

But if they were good substitutes... it would be AWESOME to spend 4 years on a tropical island...

i was actually in aruba this month, and accidently passed by this medical school. I could be wrong, maybe I just saw one of the buildings, or the wrong building, but this school is ugly and creepy at night.

I feel bad for whoever goes there as it it very close to the bars and clubs. There's no way to get work done.

Just to humor you - YES it is too good to be true. There really is little comparison between these Caribbean schools and US MD/DO schools.

But if they were good substitutes... it would be AWESOME to spend 4 years on a tropical island...
I wasn't joking around and I totally agree--it seems like a diploma mill and a scam to me. I just got off the phone with my friend again and I told him to take the MCAT and go to a real MD/DO school. There is no substitute for hardwork and he needs to get that. Thank you again :)

i was actually in aruba this month, and accidently passed by this medical school. I could be wrong, maybe I just saw one of the buildings, or the wrong building, but this school is ugly and creepy at night.

I feel bad for whoever goes there as it it very close to the bars and clubs. There's no way to get work done.
I wouldn't want to be at a creepy school either LOL :)

Definitely can't get work done being near bars or clubs! I will pass this along...hopefully my friend gets this stupid idea out of his head soon!

a few of them are supposed to be on par with american schools...ross, st. georges, and one or two others.

Yeah, never heard of this one. Maybe their guarantee is a lifetime guarantee? Within your lifetime, I guarantee that you will be able to get a rotation?

Everytime I see this, I'm reminded of Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock:laugh: Please tell me there's someone else who knows what I'm talking about.

Tracy: [doing commercial] Bread is one of the worst things in the world, but we've already needed it. Until now. By burning three different types of meat together, the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine takes bread out of equation. Now you're sandwich is all of the good stuff. That's delicious!
Dr. Spaceman: And it's healthy. Hi, I'm Dr. Leo Spaceman. I'm a working physician with a degree from the Ho Chi Minh School of medicine.

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?
Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keep stopping my research!

Everytime I see this, I'm reminded of Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock:laugh: Please tell me there's someone else who knows what I'm talking about.

Tracy: [doing commercial] Bread is one of the worst things in the world, but we’ve already needed it. Until now. By burning three different types of meat together, the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine takes bread out of equation. Now you’re sandwich is all of the good stuff. That’s delicious!
Dr. Spaceman: And it’s healthy. Hi, I’m Dr. Leo Spaceman. I’m a working physician with a degree from the Ho Chi Minh School of medicine.

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?
Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keep stopping my research!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great Show

I wouldn't mind living in Aruba for four years...

I like, I like. Guess who just moved to the top of my med school list? I can't believe I wasted all that time with the stupid MCAT.

You mean the "MCATs"

Caribbean schools are largely alike - some have some bells and whistles that others don't and charge 3x the tuition, but at the end of the day, you are just paying for an opportunity to take the USMLE and be able to practice in the USA.
Caribbean schools are legit and they are a way to do this for people who otherwise can't get into USA/Canadian med schools. It is definitely important to educate yourself thoroughly before starting these programs.
I am a current student at a Caribbean website, and I am telling you it can be done. It's just not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a current student at a Caribbean website, and I am telling you it can be done.
Sounds legit.

I knew online med schools were going to become the next boom industry.

Reactions: 2 users