Anyone heard about Xavier Medical School in Aruba?? Please Advise!!

P

prepharmgirl09

A friend of mine contacted me today about Xavier Medical School in Aruba: http://edu.xusom.nl/

The website declares: "Our Medical School offers studies in the Caribbean with Guaranteed Clinical Rotations in the United States. Best of all there are no MCATs required for admission."

This also sounds too good to be true...and when something sounds too good to be true...well, you all know the end of that story. I just think it sounds really sketchy--please correct me if I am wrong about all of this. Give me some info if anybody has it about this school. To be honest with you, I think he is trying to take some shortcuts to get into medicine and I think he is really only hurting himself in the end.

Thank you in advance :)

chemnerd89

In it for the lulz
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Medical Student
"The Xavier University School of Medicine at Aruba is prime choice for foreign students to persue their medical studies overseas in the Caribbean."

lol

and no "MCATs"

NotAndrew

Loves Jesus, America Too
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
About the Ads

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
This is a joke, right? It's been done a lot on this site...

Just to humor you - YES it is too good to be true. There really is little comparison between these Caribbean schools and US MD/DO schools.

But if they were good substitutes... it would be AWESOME to spend 4 years on a tropical island...

yungwunn911

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
NJ
Status
Pre-Dental
i was actually in aruba this month, and accidently passed by this medical school. I could be wrong, maybe I just saw one of the buildings, or the wrong building, but this school is ugly and creepy at night.

I feel bad for whoever goes there as it it very close to the bars and clubs. There's no way to get work done.

P

prepharmgirl09

Just to humor you - YES it is too good to be true. There really is little comparison between these Caribbean schools and US MD/DO schools.

But if they were good substitutes... it would be AWESOME to spend 4 years on a tropical island...
I wasn't joking around and I totally agree--it seems like a diploma mill and a scam to me. I just got off the phone with my friend again and I told him to take the MCAT and go to a real MD/DO school. There is no substitute for hardwork and he needs to get that. Thank you again :)

P

prepharmgirl09

i was actually in aruba this month, and accidently passed by this medical school. I could be wrong, maybe I just saw one of the buildings, or the wrong building, but this school is ugly and creepy at night.

I feel bad for whoever goes there as it it very close to the bars and clubs. There's no way to get work done.
I wouldn't want to be at a creepy school either LOL :)

Definitely can't get work done being near bars or clubs! I will pass this along...hopefully my friend gets this stupid idea out of his head soon!

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008

a few of them are supposed to be on par with american schools...ross, st. georges, and one or two others.

Lordhokage

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah, never heard of this one. Maybe their guarantee is a lifetime guarantee? Within your lifetime, I guarantee that you will be able to get a rotation?

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also, watch out for those crazy Dane's if you go out to the bars in Aruba.

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Everytime I see this, I'm reminded of Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock:laugh: Please tell me there's someone else who knows what I'm talking about.

Tracy: [doing commercial] Bread is one of the worst things in the world, but we've already needed it. Until now. By burning three different types of meat together, the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine takes bread out of equation. Now you're sandwich is all of the good stuff. That's delicious!
Dr. Spaceman: And it's healthy. Hi, I'm Dr. Leo Spaceman. I'm a working physician with a degree from the Ho Chi Minh School of medicine.

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?
Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keep stopping my research!

chemnerd89

In it for the lulz
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Everytime I see this, I'm reminded of Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock:laugh: Please tell me there's someone else who knows what I'm talking about.

Tracy: [doing commercial] Bread is one of the worst things in the world, but we’ve already needed it. Until now. By burning three different types of meat together, the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine takes bread out of equation. Now you’re sandwich is all of the good stuff. That’s delicious!
Dr. Spaceman: And it’s healthy. Hi, I’m Dr. Leo Spaceman. I’m a working physician with a degree from the Ho Chi Minh School of medicine.

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?
Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keep stopping my research!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great Show

Dr Lyss

Professional Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Behind You...
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't mind living in Aruba for four years...

NoMoreAMCAS

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical

MILK07

Silence, I kill you!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I like, I like. Guess who just moved to the top of my med school list? I can't believe I wasted all that time with the stupid MCAT.

You mean the "MCATs"

Aug 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Caribbean schools are largely alike - some have some bells and whistles that others don't and charge 3x the tuition, but at the end of the day, you are just paying for an opportunity to take the USMLE and be able to practice in the USA.
Caribbean schools are legit and they are a way to do this for people who otherwise can't get into USA/Canadian med schools. It is definitely important to educate yourself thoroughly before starting these programs.
I am a current student at a Caribbean website, and I am telling you it can be done. It's just not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

gonnif

Only 182 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Caribbean schools are largely alike - some have some bells and whistles that others don't and charge 3x the tuition, but at the end of the day, you are just paying for an opportunity to take the USMLE and be able to practice in the USA.
Caribbean schools are legit and they are a way to do this for people who otherwise can't get into USA/Canadian med schools. It is definitely important to educate yourself thoroughly before starting these programs.
I am a current student at a Caribbean website, and I am telling you it can be done. It's just not for everyone.
I've been keeping a blog of my journey for anyone who is interested in checking it out:
www.drnicolefox44.blogspot.com
About a decade or so ago, getting an MD from one of the better off-shore schools was reasonable path to medicine in the US. At that time the number of US-based medical school graduates was about 8,000 less per year than the number of available residency slots. Since then, the number of graduates has increased tremendously but the number of residency slots has remained static. Off-shore schools are bearing the brunt of this residency squeeze filling only about 6,000 slots this year and predicted to drop to 3,000 or less in 3 to 5 years. Additionally, many of the lesser known off shore schools will be undoubtedly closing the 2023 date approaches to meet accreditation standards, yet no body has been established to do that. Lastly, there have several congressional bills to curtail loans to off shore schools, though inaction in congress has them at a standstill.

By the way, the performance comment should be looked at on how many start medical school, get a degree and then a residency slot. In US schools nearly 97% of those who start medical school get their MD within 8 years (accounts for those doing combined degrees. Of these 95% get slots. That is starting medical school to residency slot is 92%-93%. If you remove those going into research or other non-clinical fields and never go on to residency, that would go up a point or two. The "better" off-shore medical schools lose 50% of students and of those, 80%-85% get slots. So 40%-45% of those who start the better off-shore get a residency slot. The lower quality applicants leads to a tremendous rate of student drop out.

In sum you have close to a 95% chance of starting medical school in the US and getting a slot. You have half that much at 40%-45% from a "better" off shore school

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Sounds legit.

I knew online med schools were going to become the next boom industry.
Not even a U.S. based Website... What IS medical education coming to? :laugh:

About the Ads