anyone heard from Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sdos2009 said:
well thts wat it is really, cause your clinical skills u have to work on on your own time. we only spend a few hours a week in a dental lab, but many people go in on thier own. personally i spend friday and saturday nights next to the stove doing waxups cause they dont give us a torch.

Columbia sucks. :p I hope I get in :D

Members don't see this ad.

sdos2009 said:
well thts wat it is really, cause your clinical skills u have to work on on your own time. we only spend a few hours a week in a dental lab, but many people go in on thier own. personally i spend friday and saturday nights next to the stove doing waxups cause they dont give us a torch.
:laugh: don't lie to all these people! you are out fri/sat nights partying.

they provide us with alcohol lamps to do the waxups. most people get it finished on friday (our lab day) but some people do come in during the weekends for extra practice.

La Miraflorina said:
Quick question: The website doesn't say anything about pre-clinical lab work... i.e. learning on dummies etc... They make it sound like dental students are thrown in with medical students for 2 years and then expected to learn clinical skills during the last two years. Please tell me that isn't the case. What's the curriculum really like?
well i know for first year we do have lab work but not on real patients. the first two years are mainly getting the technique down, but in the last two years it is working with actual patients. columbia is making an effort to include more lab and earlier in the curriculum (they even told us there is this one class...i forget which one...which used to be 3rd year but they bumped it up to second semester of 1st year. something like that).

sdos2009 said:
haha, just steal the burners and then return them. i've seen ppl do it, i'm doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Subway: A/C 1 Way uptown

Preclinical: You have 1 entire day of Dental Anatomy and Occlusion. You learn many clinical skills that most first years do around the country. Most people go in later in the week just to practice, and the clinic is open until 11 on the weekdays.

We do get alcohol lamps unlike what others have said about sitting on the gas on Friday and Saturday nights. That boy is not on the gas doing wax models, he is out partying atleast up until now.

The med school portion is pretty good. If you are interested in learning more than just teeth (as with a set of teeth comes a patient), Columbia is a good place to learn about the entire body.

Negatives: Though you are not on the same curve as med students, if you are a competitive person then you work your ass off (but Columbia is presitigious university for a reason).

Goodluck in your interview process!!!

La Miraflorina said:
Quick question: The website doesn't say anything about pre-clinical lab work... i.e. learning on dummies etc... They make it sound like dental students are thrown in with medical students for 2 years and then expected to learn clinical skills during the last two years. Please tell me that isn't the case. What's the curriculum really like?

Oh yea, one more question. If we can stay in Bard halls the night before interviews, why didn't they tell us??

Here's is my reply from one of your previous questions from several months ago. Columbia is a great school. Good luck!

I go to Columbia so i can help answer some of your concerns. Columbia has a reputation for being very academic and medical science based for the first two years and not so strong clinically. The curriculum, however, was revised two years ago. So NOW,although it is still academic and we do take anatomy, physiology, human development, neural science, pharmacology, immunology, and microbiology with the medical students, we have additional dental related classes that we take the first two years, including oral histology, local anesthesia, dental anatomy and occlusion, operative dentistry, orthodontics, oral radiology, cariology etc.

First year, we start clinical studies from day 1. Actually the dental anatomy text along with an interactive CD was handed out during orientation so we could start reading up. We had that class for the first half of first year where we made crown preps and did wax ups. The second half of first year, we had operative dentistry where we made cavity preps..class I, II, III, V and restorations using amalgam and composite so we learn to use our handpiences, instruments, mirror etc while working on a manequin head. In addition, we have an ortho class where we make retainers, do cephalometric analyses, molar uprightings, and lingual springs etc. We also have introductions to pediatric dentsitry and prosthodontics during the end of first year.

During second year, we have more operative dentistry and the prosthodontics (face bow, casts, bridges, crowns, stent fabrication..), periodontics, endodontics, physical diagnosis, oral pathology, and oral and maxillofacial surgery courses in addition to the many med classes .

Between second and third year, we are assigned to various hospital rotations around nyc. Third year, we see patients in the clinic and we also work in an area of concentration that we choose such as community dentistry, pediatrics, private practice, oms, ortho, just to name a few and we do extra work in that area.

Fourth year, of course, is also seeing patients in the clinic as if it were a full-time job.

drengineer said:
Any recommendations on which hotel shall i stay at while interviewing at columbia?

Waldorf Estoria. I dunno how far it is but I hear the prices are modest and the accommendations are great.

*Edit* Sorry for ressing this old thread :D

EyeAmCommi said:
Waldorf Estoria. I dunno how far it is but I hear the prices are modest and the accommendations are great.

*Edit* Sorry for ressing this old thread :D

the waldorf astoria? modest prices? you might as well have told em to stay @ the plaza. i dunno where you got your info from,but if 400$/night and upwards is modest....hah.

plazaday said:
the waldorf astoria? modest prices? you might as well have told em to stay @ the plaza. i dunno where you got your info from,but if 400$/night and upwards is modest....hah.

Yea it's pretty cheap, didn't you know? Paris and Nicky Hilton lived there and if "they" can afford it, we all can!

But really if I were interviewing, I'd probably stay at a $50 a night motel or something.

EyeAmCommi said:
Yea it's pretty cheap, didn't you know? Paris and Nicky Hilton lived there and if "they" can afford it, we all can!

But really if I were interviewing, I'd probably stay at a $50 a night motel or something.

Not sure if you can find a $50 / night motel in NYC...

dat_student said:
Not sure if you can find a $50 / night motel in NYC...

Commi's can!