Anyone heard of XUSOM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simply_me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Has anyone heard of XUSOM?? (Xavier University School of Medicine).
I saw its commercial on TV. It is located on Bonaire Island. Could anyone please give me some information about this university? Is it recognised in Canada?
On its website ( www.xusombonaire.com ), it is said that high school graduates that go to that school can start their residency at the age of 23. Is it really true???

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP !
Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I saw its commercial on TV. It is located on Bonaire Island. Could anyone please give me some information about this university? Is it recognised in Canada?
On its website ( www.xusombonaire.com ), it is said that high school graduates that go to that school can start their residency at the age of 23. Is it really true???

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP !
Thanks for your time.

Don't go. If you have to go to an offshore school, stay with the big four. If you go to Xavier, you're going to have one helluva time getting a residency after you graduate.

Oh really?? I was planning to apply for admissions there...
so if I graduate from that medical school, would I really have a hard time getting in residency?? I am ready to work hard, study harder..... but do u really think its that hard???

please do help. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely harder to get into a residency program from a Caribbean school. That's why when you apply to the Caribbean, you should first apply to the big 4, which are more established and have better track records of their graduates obtaining residency positions. I've heard of Xavier too, but its a very new school. You should only apply to a new school as an absolute last resort.

Don't go. If you have to go to an offshore school, stay with the big four. If you go to Xavier, you're going to have one helluva time getting a residency after you graduate.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the info !

But, what is BIG FOUR?? I m sorry but I have no idea what it is.
Please do answer.

Thanks.

Best advice is this:

Apply to the Big 4
then................if you do not get in..............
Look to the schools that are successful, there are a handful (SJSM is below some of them for sure I know............)

MUA, AUA, SMU, to name three that come to mind

These schools have Doctors practicing from them not just residents

X.....Bonaire has no residents nor Doctors practicing from there and it is not the same school as the one in Aruba.

SO check everything out

For the Big 4 there is little to worry
but if you start to look at the rest you need to check and verify everything:scared:

Hello everyone,

I think that it’s amazing that there are so many people with comments about Xavier who have never been there or, what's more, have never attended medical school.

Listen....you want to know the good, bad and the ugly...I will tell you all. Believe me when I tell you that they all have there little problems no matter where you decide to go and whoever says different is naive.

The program at Xavier is fast paced, intense and at times overwhelming. Despite this, it is a very good medical program geared towards preparing you for the USMLE step 1 from your very first lecture in anatomy and beyond with a student to instructor ratio of about 20:1

As far as the argument goes for Xavier students not getting good residency’s....well, ignorance does have its price. I will be finished with my 3 1/2 year medical school program in 7 months and am looking forward to the residency match. Further, friends before me have already gone onto great residency programs in Internal medicine, surgery, anesthesia, neurology and urology. All these residencies’s mentioned were just filled this past match with personal friends of mine. That's the true fact of the matter.

Also, let me point out that you cannot be a so/so student and get a good residency. If you want a really good one you must do well in your medical school studies & score well on the USMLE steps 1, 2 and 3. If you do all that you can do it will work out.

In fairness, please understand that the reputation of the Big 4 is indeed wonderful. Any of these schools, including Xavier, will be a good choice. However, Xavier does have many of the Big 4 students that transfer into our MD5 program that prepares you for USMLE step 1. Not to sound boastful, but prideful....no one in my class made below 88 on either USMLE step 1 or 2. This is the good.

Now for the bad....Xavier, at this point, has no loans to offer their students. Therefore, you must rely on your own cash, investments or, for some, parents. The cost for your basic sciences in Aruba (which was wonderful) will be $6,500 every 15 weeks (15 weeks = 1 semester) payable up front X 4 semesters. Then for MD5 and beyond will cost $7,700 every 12 weeks (payable up front).

The new owners, a group of doctors from New York, have a "zero-tolerance" policy in place that will prohibit you from continuing your clinical rotations if the payment is not made prior to beginning. Despite the fact that there are no loans available to students is irrelevant to the new owners.....they just want your cash and nothing less. How you get it to them is your problem. Sad, but true....physicians selling out medicine for money.

At this point it pains me to tell you that you would be better off going to one of the Big 4's for the reason mentioned above. Xavier is a wonderful learning experience in a very beautiful area, however with new policies implemented by new owners who obviously care more about your money than you it is wise that you go elsewhere.

Xavier23

Hi there,

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP !
Thanks for your time.

Hey, I put an extensive quote on the main page for you. I am a current Xavier student about to graduate and spent my first 16 months of basic sciences in Aruba. I've given you the skinny on it all!!!!!
Good luck

Soooooooo not true!!!!! Many hospitals are now IMG friendly. If you do poor on your boards then yes, you will have a hard time. However, being 7 months from graduation (Xavier, Aruba) I am excited about match day due to the fact that many of my Xavier friends have already accepted great residency positions at wonderful hospitals. Having said that, it is unfortunate that I cannot, at this time, reccommend Xavier to anyone that needs loans to attend. At this juncture it is cash only. Thus, thoes students needing loans need to apply elsewhere.

Soooooooo not true!!!!! Many hospitals are now IMG friendly. If you do poor on your boards then yes, you will have a hard time. However, being 7 months from graduation (Xavier, Aruba) I am excited about match day due to the fact that many of my Xavier friends have already accepted great residency positions at wonderful hospitals. Having said that, it is unfortunate that I cannot, at this time, reccommend Xavier to anyone that needs loans to attend. At this juncture it is cash only. Thus, thoes students needing loans need to apply elsewhere.

What about loans from private lenders who send you the check directly or put it straight into your bank account?

I have a friend who is 19 years old and is starting at XUSOM(transfer from international).

What about loans from private lenders who send you the check directly or put it straight into your bank account?

I have a friend who is 19 years old and is starting at XUSOM(transfer from international).

Considering that....there would be no problem. With XUSOM at this point they offer no loans so you would have to come up with your own type of funding if necessary

You might know a lot of people that matched in a variety of good residency programs, but the school is doing a terrible job advertising their residency placement. Until this point I didn’t even know that Xavier had graduates in residency, because is certainly no in the Xavier web site.

personally knowing several program directors, i can seriously say that people in this forum really don't know much about the american process. In the eyes of residency directors, there is no "BIG 4" when it comes to the caribbean. To them, it's just one distinction - American grad vs. Foreign grad. American grads, who are always given preference, have everything (grades, rank, board scores) taken into consideration whereas IMGs have only their board scores taken into consideration, and are working with the "IMG check mark" against them. As far as gettin residency, they ONLY have official match statistics for american schools- the program directors don't come on to SDN to see what kind of a rep "X" caribbean school may have. So to them, unofficial reputation = no reputation. Get it? I know guys who've come out of teeny weeny no-name cheepo caribbean schools, rocked their boards, did some research, and got top residencies- all without having any connections. that's all there is to it - USMLE STEP 1. if you think xavier or watever school fits what you're looking for in your price range, let me remind you that "school rep" or "big 4" should have nothing to do with your decision, cuz it'll have nothing to do with the decision of those who hire you.

personally knowing several program directors, i can seriously say that people in this forum really don't know much about the american process. In the eyes of residency directors, there is no "BIG 4" when it comes to the caribbean. To them, it's just one distinction - American grad vs. Foreign grad. American grads, who are always given preference, have everything (grades, rank, board scores) taken into consideration whereas IMGs have only their board scores taken into consideration, and are working with the "IMG check mark" against them. As far as gettin residency, they ONLY have official match statistics for american schools- the program directors don't come on to SDN to see what kind of a rep "X" caribbean school may have. So to them, unofficial reputation = no reputation. Get it? I know guys who've come out of teeny weeny no-name cheepo caribbean schools, rocked their boards, did some research, and got top residencies- all without having any connections. that's all there is to it - USMLE STEP 1. if you think xavier or watever school fits what you're looking for in your price range, let me remind you that "school rep" or "big 4" should have nothing to do with your decision, cuz it'll have nothing to do with the decision of those who hire you.

Big 4 should be the first choice for anyone applying to the Carib schools not b/c it's likely to impress PD's. And of course, waaaay before such "first" choice the real attempt to get in U.S MD/DO programs should be made. It's for the sake of the applicant him/her self, not any PD. These schools have produced many practicing physicians, not just residents. All of those 4 schools have both NY and Cali approvals making licensure possible in all 50 States. Sometimes problems still may exist, but there is a precident for medical licensure in all States of graduates from these schools. And 3 of the abouve except SABA have FAFSA Stafford loans, which is a big deal today.