Anyone here come to med-school as a transfer from another program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mgro33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question and I was someone could answer. I have a year off after I graduate this may, and I was going to apply to some PA schools, Optometry schools, or some enhancement programs and then apply to medical schools after a year of being in these programs. Please let me know if anyone has successfully been able to get into medical school after being in another program of this type. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

My school wants you to finish the program you are in, so if you are in a doctorate program, then you will need to time it so that you get your degree before you start medical school.

PA programs are only two to 2 1/2 years in length, depending on where you go and prior experience. Most are 2 1/2 years (masters programs).

Good luck!

Thanks Greek Medic. What school do you go to?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
most medicals schools will require a letter from ur advisor or ur academic program that states that u are going to complete the program. yes people have been sucessful in getting into the medical schools after entering these programs but only after they graduated from the "programs" but of course ther are few exceptions.

thats ur question right?:confused:

Originally posted by Mgro33
Hi, I had a question and I was someone could answer. I have a year off after I graduate this may, and I was going to apply to some PA schools, Optometry schools, or some enhancement programs and then apply to medical schools after a year of being in these programs. Please let me know if anyone has successfully been able to get into medical school after being in another program of this type. Thank you very much.

It is unethical to apply to one of these professional programs with the intention of quitting and going into medical school. Optometry and PA are medical professions by themselves, and should not be considered stepping stones to medical school. Medical schools will not look kindly on this, and the PA and Optometry schools will not accept you unless you blatently lie by withholding the information that you will be attending medical school.

More appropriate things to do with you time off would be to get a master's degree, to do volunteer work in the US or abroad, to get a medically related job, etc.