Anyone here do the 5 year plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msmouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get into the dental school I want, they have a 5 year plan.
I am a non-traditional student with a young family. I would love to get it over with in 4 years but reality tells me that I should spread out year 1 and 2.

If you did this, how was your course load and were you able to juggle that with a part time job?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this. What school allows that?

Honestly, it sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Thousands of people (many of whom have families) graduate from dental school every year and 99% of them did it in the normal 4 years. Why can't you? Why pay five years of tuition when you can pay four (not to mention the missed income as a result of being in school longer)?

I've never heard of this. What school allows that?

Honestly, it sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Thousands of people (many of whom have families) graduate from dental school every year and 99% of them did it in the normal 4 years. Why can't you? Why pay five years of tuition when you can pay four (not to mention the missed income as a result of being in school longer)?

UMDNJ offers a 5 year program. They stretch out the first 2 years and the last 2 are the same as everyone else.
I'm not sure I can handle leaving the house at 7 AM and getting back around 7pm and still needing time to study each evening which leaves me no time for my kids.
I just have to think it over and see what would be best for me and my family. The tuition part would suck and so would the extra year but if it's the difference between skating by and doing well, I'm doing the latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the 4 year. You will still have plenty of time with your kids. You will not be in class from 7am-7pm. I had 3 half days a week during 1st year (different dental school though). Why on earth would you want to pay another year of tuition!

I'm in my second year and I'm married with a 3 year old boy.(and another boy on the way:soexcited:)
It's honestly not that bad at all. Yes, there will be times when you have to buckle down and study because you have a bunch of exams in a row. Other than those instances, I spend A LOT of time with my family. We go to museums, out for walks, malls, you name it. The first few few months of dental school were a little tough because I had to adjust to the curriculum and figure out how to balance everything. After that, it was all good.

I feel very strongly that having a family is NOT a reason to go to a 5 year program. It will cost you extra money, not to mention I've got several people in my class alone that have 2, 3 ,even 4 kids. They get through it all just fine and still hang out with their families all the time. Last point, besides the fact that I have a family and am with them A LOT (to the point that you might think I may not even be in school sometimes) I still pull good grades. Not a C yet:xf:

I say go to a 4 year program. You will do much better and have more time with your family than you think.

Five years sounds a lot worse to me. There are a lot of people in my class who have kids (some who had kids while IN school) who get by. I would think it would be better for you and your family to get out of school sooner, get a job, and start earning an income than spending an extra year and an extra year's tuition to give yourself more free time...??? It doesn't make any sense to me...

Thank you so much for all your replies! I had no idea there were that many non-traditional students out there. I feel a bit more confident now! Of course, I need to get accepted first, haha!

Thank you so much for all your replies! I had no idea there were that many non-traditional students out there. I feel a bit more confident now! Of course, I need to get accepted first, haha!

I think your understanding of "the five year program" is off. Typically, a dental student who is not doing well academically in their Freshman year, but shows effort, potential, or experienced a personal/family crisis, can sometimes be placed into "the five year program," which spreads out their courses from the first 2 years and keeps the last 2 clinical years the same.

This is more of a probational thing than a choice. I highly doubt UMDNJ will offer the five year program as an option for an incoming dental student. It is something a dental student will be placed in if the school feels that they can only make it thorough the curriculum with a lighter, more spread out academic course-load.

a popular 5-year program at many schools is basically when you flunk a class, and they make you repeat the entire year