Do grades matter if you plan to be a GP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do grades matter in any way (ex. better associate opportunity, correlation with salary, etc) if you just plan to work right after graduation as a GP?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope not in my experience. It does however come back to haunt you if you discover a specialty you like towards the end of dental school or after a few years of GP private practice but don't have the grades.

Reactions: 2 users
Do grades matter in any way (ex. better associate opportunity, correlation with salary, etc) if you just plan to work right after graduation as a GP?

I'm aware of numerous individuals who held this mindset, only to realize later that they wanted to specialize, resulting in setbacks down the road. Although it's a small percentage of people who experience this, it's still something worth considering.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aware of numerous individuals who held this mindset, only to realize later that they wanted to specialize, resulting in setbacks down the road. Although it's a small percentage of people who experience this, it's still something worth considering.
I will try my best until the end since I could be applying for competitive AEGD/GPR if I lack confidence.
But if given that I will work as a GP, grades don't matter in any way?
Thanks in advance.

I will try my best until the end since I could be applying for competitive AEGD/GPR if I lack confidence.
But if given that I will work as a GP, grades don't matter in any way?
Thanks in advance.
Grades don’t matter for your career as far as getting a job. What does matter though is trying hard in class to master the material you’re going to be using for your career

Reactions: 1 users
Go look at all the residency application threads on here and see how many people are concerned they aren’t top 25% in their class. Probably wishing they tried a little harder now that they decided to specialize years later. But if you are 100% sure you don’t want to specialize, then grades don’t matter. But like others said, you should still try and learn.

Reactions: 2 users
Go look at all the residency application threads on here and see how many people are concerned they aren’t top 25% in their class. Probably wishing they tried a little harder now that they decided to specialize years later. But if you are 100% sure you don’t want to specialize, then grades don’t matter. But like others said, you should still try and learn.
Thank you for the clarification.