Anyone here get mono during college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

two thirty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but I'm pretty certain I have it. I'm a junior with a decent GPA, but I was just wondering how much this will affect me. I've heard stories of people who can hardly get out of bed for weeks and I can't see this not ruining my grades this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I had it sophomore year, during the heat of the semester and finals week. I just went to class like normal. It's something you have to will yourself through.

and whatever you do, do NOT bring it up to ADCOMS.

It might suck, but bringing it up would make it seem like you are making an excuse (wether you are or not) for your grades. They do not want to hear that.
Just as Dante said, you just have to suck it up and do the best you can. Things happen, you just have to do the best to work around it.
For example, during the outbreak of the piggy flu, I got diagnosed the night before a final semester project was due. Health center sent me home... it was a group project. The professor said, I don't care, you either hand it in when it is due (tomorrow) or it's late. I had to do the project all for myself. Was it fair? I'm not going to argue, but the point is, it sucks and you just have to find a way to do the best you can.

Feel better though!

Members don't see this ad :)
What sucked is like 3/6 classes were night classes. I dragged myself to ochem 2 and physics 2 basically dead tired. Thank god I had good friends who could photocopy notes for me and help me with what I missed.

I had it sophomore year, I tried to ignore it and continue with classes and ended up unconscious for a few weeks with a very high fever after it built up in my liver (one of those weeks was finals week). Take it easy if the doctor says you have it. Don't worry about grades so much, just do your best. I missed most of my finals and that semester was by far my lowest. On applications that allowed for additional information I mentioned that I was sick that semester. Admissions understood, my gpa every semester was basically the same except that one so I think it would have looked weird to not mention it. I didn't put it in my personal statement, just a two sentence note in additional info or responded when asked on interviews.

I'm in med school at Columbia, so I think it turned out just fine.