Anyone in 3-year accelerated programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you who are currently pharmacy students... anyone going to 3-year accelerated programs willing to share how hard/stressful the program is.... I am about to transfer to a either 4 year or 3-year professional program but can't decide which one. I don't know if i can handle the stress level

Thank you much, I know your time is precious :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard and stressful...much more so than the 4yr program. If you are more of a mature student, then do the 3 year. If you are younger and want to get uber involved in stuff, go to a 4 year school

It's pretty hard. You're learning the same material in less time. If you can handle a lot of pressure, then go for it. If you want to party a lot and not be super busy ALL the time, go to 4 year. People will tell you differently at different schools, but from my experience, it's intense. It's not HARDER because it's the same material but you have to have better time management and stretch yourself in more directions in the 3 year. But...I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your insights! I'm not really the party type... but i'm not the bookworm type either.. although I think I could have been classified as one when i was taking Anatomy & Physiology during summer school doubling up with chemistry during that session :p

I'm really want to do the 3 year because you get out 1 year earlier... but then i don't want to regret it later.

Doesn't the 3 year program go to school year round while the 4 year program have their summers off? therefore there isn't THAT much of a difference between the number of classes you would have in 1 semester btwn the 3 year and 4 year program.....

sorry I know i have a lot of questions.... but who else to ask but people who are already doing it! ;)

at USN a 3-year school. you get 6 weeks off after your first year as long as you don't have to remediate "retake" and exams. after the 2nd year, you jump into your rotations for 3rd year in May-June and you go the whole year minus one 6 week rotation which you have off. we go to school on a lot of the federal holidays (like presidents and things like that), we get 2-3 days off for spring break, 2-3 days off for thankgiving, and 2 weeks for xmas break. that's about it. so we go a lot. gator girl summed up how it feels pretty good-busy.

at USN a 3-year school. you get 6 weeks off after your first year as long as you don't have to remediate "retake" and exams. after the 2nd year, you jump into your rotations for 3rd year in May-June and you go the whole year minus one 6 week rotation which you have off. we go to school on a lot of the federal holidays (like presidents and things like that), we get 2-3 days off for spring break, 2-3 days off for thankgiving, and 2 weeks for xmas break. that's about it. so we go a lot. gator girl summed up how it feels pretty good-busy.

I don't think I will like USN that much.. not because it's a bad school or anything.. but the idea that it's near Las Vegas.. the weather must be horribly HOT!!!! i think I would suffocate during the summer months...
but thanks for your insights!

I don't think I will like USN that much.. not because it's a bad school or anything.. but the idea that it's near Las Vegas.. the weather must be horribly HOT!!!! i think I would suffocate during the summer months...

I go to Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ. The accelerated program is not that bad. We had a 5 week vacation between 1st and 2nd year. A week off between each quarter(sometimes longer because finals week usually ended early like wed). The the last year you have rotations Nov-May 8-5... no tests... yeah!!!.
The weather is HOT but not as bad as you make it sound. The weather is much better than having to bundle up to go outside when it gets freezing cold and scraping ice off your car like in the northern states. Plus its not humid. Plus its always sunny and the weather definitely can't make you depressed.

i was not trying to tell you i think you should go to usn, i was simply telling you about how this 3 year program works.

as for the weather, you are indoors most of the summer anyways. but back to the topic......

i was not trying to tell you i think you should go to usn, i was simply telling you about how this 3 year program works.

QUOTE]

oh... I understand that completely. I actually think that you very much detailed how your school works and it helps me a lot! I actually kind of like the USN block system... although I have never tried or seen that before, but I just think that I would like it? ..... however, I am always skeptical about weather..... I went to Las Vegas a couple years back during the summer and the outdoors, even for a couple minutes almost 'killed' me....