Anyone interested in hospital pharmacy management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested? Do you have any questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an expert or something? Just curious....

BTW- Do you like the Biaxin pack? How bout the Ketek pack? Maybe the Zithromax Tri-pack? :laught: love the name!

i am somewhat interested but possibly losing clinical knowledge make me afraid to go into that route. plus you probably need MBA or somekind, and i am so sick of school already, but anyway, how can i become per say, director of pharamcy, and what do they actually do besides P&T committee involvement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe an expert BS artist...

I'm not a fan of macrolides.. why? At the dose commonly prescribed, they are bacteriostatic. Most of you guys already know that. Zpack.. glorified long acting Erythromycin at 500mg now and 250mg qd x 4 hardly eradicates bacteria. It has to rely on patients immune system for it to fend of the infection strep...mycoplasma...etc. Many physician friends of mine prescripbe Zpack when an overzealous moms think their kids (with viral infection) need an antibiotic.

Give me a bacterocidal drug... oh wells...we really don't have much of an arsenal against bugs anymore...and not much in the pipeline.

Clinical trials comparing Ketek vs Amox, Amox/Clauv, and Cefuroxime only shed Ketek to be similar in efficacy... but less effective against Haemophilus..species.. I could be wrong. I barely skimmed through it. I'm not impressed with Ketek.

Give Once Daily Aminoglycosde 7mg/kg/day along with Pip/Tazo to eradicate Pseudomanas... Now that's fun.

Caverject said:
Are you an expert or something? Just curious....

BTW- Do you like the Biaxin pack? How bout the Ketek pack? Maybe the Zithromax Tri-pack? :laught: love the name!

You're going to forget clinical knowledge.. bet on it. You don't need an MBA.. you need a strong background in biostat to evaluate clinical trials..communication skills... and common sense money knowledge. P&T is an essential tool in providing cost effective pharmacy services at an hospital. But you also have to make sure that the hospital's pharmacy practice is compliant with state regs and accrediting body's mandates...ie JCAHO.

Implementation and maintenance of clinical programs is important. You also will need to lead a group of pharmacists and technicians. Budget. Purchasing. Group Purchasing contracts. etc..etc.. spend a week with a director of pharmacy at a mid to large hospital. Or take a management rotation during your 4th year. I don't know of anyone who has a desire to be a director of pharmacy who couldn't become one. If you want it...opportunities are there.

I started off as an evening pharmacist, then clinical coordinator..then director. It was a natural growth pattern for me. My first project out of RX school...I just decided to write an aminoglycoside protocol for a 350 bed hospital...because we didn't have one.. I did it on my free time. Cuz I enjoyed it. Then the doors started to open up.

kwakster928 said:
i am somewhat interested but possibly losing clinical knowledge make me afraid to go into that route. plus you probably need MBA or somekind, and i am so sick of school already, but anyway, how can i become per say, director of pharamcy, and what do they actually do besides P&T committee involvement?