Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Anyone know a internet source that can teach me about mirrors (specific kinds of questions)

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by csx, 09.27.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. csx

csx 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I got TPR phys and it teaches me how to use the lens equ to find the answer. However theres nothing on how to answer questions like "an image placed outside the focal point of a concave mirror will be? real/inverted, virtual/upright, etc" (a more qualitative approach).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. csx

csx 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    nvm..i think i found something but if you know somethign dope still let me know!

4. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Just use the equation.

I find memorizing all that random stuff is useless and too confusing.

For each situation you are given, make up some numbers for that situation and plug them into the equation.

5. Hadi7183

Hadi7183 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Check the freelance teacher on YouTube. I myself learned about mirrors/lenses just by watching his videos. His videos are awesome in general, and he has lessons on almost all MCAT subjects. I think he is from UC Berkeley.

6. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    You can answer your question using the lens equation, although I think you meant to put object instead of image.

Using the lens equation, make up a number for f, a bigger number for do and you'll fine that you'll get a positive number for di. If di is positive, that means the image is real and always inverted.

This summary helped me, and I also used online simulator to help visualize things.
    http://faculty.spokanefalls.edu/InetShare/AutoWebs/AsaB/Phys103/MirrorsThinLens.pdf

About the ads