Anyone know about Civil Service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptainPicard

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm seeing a number of opportunities around the US (and the world) to work as a federal civil servant. However, I'm confused about the salary. It's looking like someone starting off as a pharmacist would only make about $60k/yr, after COLA. Then it would be be about $70k/yr after a year of working.

Has anyone ever looked into this? Is that really how much the pay is? I'm excited about the mobility, but I've got some student loans to pay off 🙁
 
Federal pay scales are tricky to read and one can easily (and mistakenly) assume pay is much less than it really is. There is a basic pay scale (Basic Pay), then overseas housing allowance or basic housing allownace (OHA or BAH), then possible cost of living allowance (COLA), and a couple other allowances (BAS) that tack on to a final sum. The basic pay is taxable and so are bonuses. Often there are retention or sign on bonuses. What program specifically are you looking at?
 
Federal pay scales are tricky to read and one can easily (and mistakenly) assume pay is much less than it really is. There is a basic pay scale (Basic Pay), then overseas housing allowance or basic housing allownace (OHA or BAH), then possible cost of living allowance (COLA), and a couple other allowances (BAS) that tack on to a final sum. The basic pay is taxable and so are bonuses. Often there are retention or sign on bonuses. What program specifically are you looking at?
this post is exactly correct...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I'm just searching the USAJOBS website. I see civil service postings for various airforce and army bases. Would someone working that situation really receive BAH in addition to COLA despite not being active duty military or PHS ?

The BAH would certainly make a big difference.
 
Well, I'm just searching the USAJOBS website. I see civil service postings for various airforce and army bases. Would someone working that situation really receive BAH in addition to COLA despite not being active duty military or PHS ?

The BAH would certainly make a big difference.
As a civillian, no you won't get BAH or COLA with a job inside the United States. Don't let the bottom number of the pay scale distract you. You need to understand that as a GS-11 employee, they have a scale of what the can pay you and not everyone that is a GS-11 is a pharmacist. The pay is competitive with the outside world.