Anyone know any of the essays on the secondaries to MSUCOM,PCOM,NYCOM, Kirksville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmybee

Internal Medicine Hospitalist, formerly med/peds
Reaction score
Hi......I didn't put my DO app in until the second week of July so I am a little behind. If anyone could give me some of the essay questions for the following schools it would be greatly appreciated.

MSUCOM
NYCOM
PCOM
Kirksville

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used similar essays for MSUCOM and PCOM. MSUCOM is a very comprehensive essay. Mine was around 2-3 pages at about 12 font double spaced. MSU asks pretty basic stuff, like why Osteopathic med, why do you want to be a doctor, how has various life experiences contributed to your desire to become a doctor (ie work, volunteer, family experiences), how do you see the future of medicine and the role of doctors in the foreseable future. I applied 2 years in a row and the essay changed little (if any over that span). PCOM is a lot less specific, basically why osteo med. I used the same essay from MSU for PCOM (with some modifications). NYCOM doesn't send out a secondary per say. When I applied (last year) I recieved a little index card saying that I would not recieve a secondary until after I was selected for interview. Kind of backwards if you ask me. I never persued it any further, though. Someone from NYCOM could best answer that one. As far as Kirksville goes. If I remember correctly, there wasn't any essay to write. Instead they ask you two questions to which you submit a one paragraph response to each. I can barely remember, sorry. I think one of them was "why osteo med." As you can see the prevailing theme on all of the DO secondaries is "why osteopathic med?" If you want to get ahead I'd start there. Dive into it. Ask yourself what experiences led you to osteopathic med and how has these experiences will make you a successfull osteopathic physician.

That's why MSUCOM is such a great essay. It asks you to hit on all the aspects of that question and in the end forces you to write a more comprehensive essay which can serve as a platform for numerous other apps.

Good luck to you and don't worry you not that far behind at all. You should be in pretty good shape.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Thank you very much for the reply. It was very helpful!

NYCOM does do things a little backwards, but for a good reason. They do not send out secondaries. you basically fill one out the day of the interview if you are selected for an interview. I think its actually a little better that way. At least NYCOM wont take your money unless you really have a chance of being accepted. The essay questions are not really all that big a deal. They basically ask you why you chose to apply to NYCOM and there may be one there on why you chose osteopathic medicine. I really don't think they're looking for poetry so you don't have to worry about being on the spot. They'll most likely ask you the same thing when they interview you so its more like a reminder of what you said and of who you are. I wouldn't stress to much about it.