Anyone know anything about the Sinai waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously, I'm on it. I really liked it there and i'm curious how their waitlist usually works. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that i know is that i'm on it. FECAL MATTER!

Originally posted by exmike
The only thing that i know is that i'm on it. FECAL MATTER!

Damn, so they just let anyone on it, huh? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys,

I know the Sinai waitlist moves a lot. Almost all of the MSI's in my student host's suite came in off the waitlist, so there may be good news yet! Apparently many applicants come off it since Sinai doesn't interview too many people in proportion to the number of applications they get.

Also, did you guys officially get word about being on the waitlist? I know that Sinai re-reviews many applicants so there could be a chance if you haven't heard otherwise that you're still being reviewed...

Either way, good luck y'all! :clap:

tf

Did those on the waitlist find out through email or snail mail?

bump

just got put on the sinai waitlist. ergh. looking at last year's waitlist thread, it looks like most people were put on the waitlist in april or may ... but this year it looks like a lot of people have been put on it early. i don't think i can really handle waiting six or more months to get a word from them ... :(

Originally posted by dara678
bump

just got put on the sinai waitlist. ergh. looking at last year's waitlist thread, it looks like most people were put on the waitlist in april or may ... but this year it looks like a lot of people have been put on it early. i don't think i can really handle waiting six or more months to get a word from them ... :(

or maybe they're just more efficient this year :D

If things are the same as they were last year, their waitlist is comprised of ~300 people. On a similar note, the PI I work for at Mt. Sinai called in a few days ago for a co-worker of mine asking why she didn't get an interview - they told her that her numbers were too low(3.2ish) and that the average GPA this year was going to be 3.69-3.70. Also, she applied late.

However, if you're really interested in going, contact the Dean of Admissions, Scott Bernett(sp?).

Originally posted by Kashue
they told her that her numbers were too low(3.2ish) and that the average GPA this year was going to be 3.69-3.70. Also, she applied late.

Ok, I'm screwed.

If things are the same as they were last year, their waitlist is comprised of ~300 people. On a similar note, the PI I work for at Mt. Sinai called in a few days ago for a co-worker of mine asking why she didn't get an interview - they told her that her numbers were too low(3.2ish) and that the average GPA this year was going to be 3.69-3.70. Also, she applied late.

I don't know, but I wouldn't necessarily say she didn't get an interview because of her GPA. My GPA wasn't much above hers (3.35) and I got an interview. It's difficult for them to be put on the spot like that so i'm sure many adcoms just say something obvious like that, but there are so many different factors. Moral of the story: to those of you with a low GPA on the waitlist, there is hope yet! Your application is not all-gpa.

Originally posted by exmike
Ok, I'm screwed.

Well, she doesn't have an MPH, or MS like you do exmike. Her MCAT was also 29. Also, she applied late.

You're not out of the running exmike, just keep sending letters of intent and if you can, try to get a hold of the Dean, Scott Bernett. He holds a lot of weight in the admissions committee.

I was complete at Sinai in late September, early October. My stats are at or above Sinai's norms and I've gotten a bunch of other interviews but not at Sinai, so go figure. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by facted
I don't know, but I wouldn't necessarily say she didn't get an interview because of her GPA. My GPA wasn't much above hers (3.35) and I got an interview. It's difficult for them to be put on the spot like that so i'm sure many adcoms just say something obvious like that, but there are so many different factors. Moral of the story: to those of you with a low GPA on the waitlist, there is hope yet! Your application is not all-gpa.

Facted, Sinai is numbers driven. Trust me on this. They also want diversity in their class but not at the risk of the average GPA/MCAT going below their averages. They told a post-doc friend of mine straight up when he didn't get off the wait-list that it was his MCAT of 27 that did him in despite that he spent 6 years as a grad student there + 4 publications + 3 letters of rec from Sinai faculty + knew some of the Adcomm.

Your MCAT is also above their averages plus the fact your a minority. She's white and has a 29 MCAT. They also told her something to the effect that they would need someone with a higher GPA to balance her 3.2ish and since it was so late in the game, it wouldn't be possible. She was really hurt especially since she's worked for Sinai for several years and it was her first choice.

Facted, Sinai is numbers driven. Trust me on this. Your MCAT is also above their averages plus the fact your a minority. She's white and has a 29 MCAT. They also told her something to the effect that they would need someone with a higher GPA to balance her 3.2ish and since it was so late in the game, it wouldn't be possible. She was really hurt tho especially since she's worked for Sinai for several years and it was her first choice.

The whole #'s thing again...whatever. I'm not a minority as I've addressed earlier. There are hispanics who are not minorities, according to AAMC and I'm one of them. I do agree with you that MCAT is very important, which is the whole point of my post. They told her that her GPA of 3.2 is too low and that's why she didn't get an interview, but I just mentioned that perhaps that wasn't the full story. Her MCAT of 29 is also significantly lower than their average MCAT. I just wanted to let people on the wait-list with low GPA's have a little more hope...there are a lot of things that go into an application.

i'm wondering now what kind of numbers they DO want ... i mean, i don't have stellar stats, but they are at or above sinai's average ... i guess something must have went wrong with the interview. :(

i'm just really bummed about sinai because i really really *really* wanted to live in nyc next year ... but no nyc schools have given me any love. *sigh* oh well ...