Anyone know how to apply for MD/phD program for a foreign student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mu22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, everyone,

I graduated from a foreign medical university, and I had been surgeon for 5 years. Now I'm in the 2nd year of one phD program in anatomy department, and I have fellowship for this program. But I want to be recruited into MD/phD program in the same lab of this department. My question is:

*If I were recruited, How could I get funding for my MD period?

Any suggestion is welcome, Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

mu22 said:
hi, everyone,

I graduated from a foreign medical university, and I had been surgeon for 5 years. Now I'm in the 2nd year of one phD program in anatomy department, and I have fellowship for this program. But I want to be recruited into MD/phD program in the same lab of this department. My question is:

You might want to post this message in the MSTP forum.

mu22 said:
hi, everyone,

This is so difficult, especially when one considers how well-qualified you are, but there are two major issues you will face when trying to get into an American medical school as an international....even if it's only to transfer to the MD/PhD program. Most schools only let U.S. nationals into the MD/PhD program; it is rare, though not unheard of, for a foreign national to get into the MD/PhD program. That said, those foreign nationals need to have completed the equivalent of a bachelors degree in the U.S. or Canada before applying. A foreign medical degree will not fulfill that requirement. I personally know a couple of U.S. citizens who started a PhD, took the MCAT in their first or second year, then applied to the MD/PhD program and gained admission with the aim of ‘picking up in lab where they left off’.

Without a bachelors degree from the U.S. or Canada, you are automatically ineligible to apply to most American medical schools - in spite of the fact that you already have an M.D. from another country and you only want to transfer. Usually, they will accept 60-90 credits in the sciences in place of a bachelors degree (a full year of college chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, physics, and probably English and a couple of additional subjects).

It seems like your fastest route it to finish your PhD, take the USMLE step 1 and step 2, get your ECFMG certificate, then apply for a U.S. medical residency. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)