Anyone know of a US med school that offers elective periods for British counterparts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2000
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a med student at the university of cambridge with the intention of spending my elective period in a US med school but i don't know which university has what links...
so help!!!!



Hi Jessica...

While there are lots of US schools which don't accept foreign clerks, there are many that do. There are some basic tenants common to most of these...

all will require a statement that you are in good academic standing

all will require proof of liability insurance

nearly all require proof of immunization status (e.g, Hep B, MMR, PPD, etc.)

many require a letter of recommendation from your Dean or a faculty member

many require an application fee (can be up to $200), but most don't IMHO

all will require a transcript of your med schooling

With all that in place, you are ready to begin your hunt! First, if your school already has ties with a US school those are usually the easiest to arrange.

No? Then most schools will have a web page which details procedures for applyinf for visiting clerkships.

Keep in mind that New York schools require a letter of permission from the State, and USMLE Step 1 scores.

Because there are so many that do accept foreign clerks, it would be difficult to list them all. If there is a certain area of the country you're interested in, I can suggest schools or suggest that you check out the web pages of schools in that area.

The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) has a link under Student/Education of all US schools listed by state. You can start there. http://www.amsa.org

Hope this helps.