Anyone know of any medical volunteering/experience trips abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
why is it that people give sympathy to people breaking the law to drink and drive but discourage volunteering and criticize someone asking for advice about volunteering?

I have no sympathy for any one. I have empathy for those who try to help themselves without putting others at undue risk. If you get a felony conviction or DUI, you've screwed yourself in my book.

Members don't see this ad.

hey dr josh, DropkickMurphy posted that dumb picture to show that people go overseas to take pictures to show on their application. thats a small group of people who have these romantic ideas that they can go abroad and take pictures so they get into medical school. there are nonlegitimate organizations where you do that. you book a trip and go for 5 days to do nothing but pay money to the staff. theyre tourist businesses. its sad stuff

hey dr josh im happy that you are wanting a legitimate org where you actually help. the best organization is unite for sight. go to http://www.uniteforsight.org/intl_volunteer

its awesome awesome and youre totally needed by the docs you work with. you make a big difference

i think ive become the spokesperson for unite for sight on sdn. send me questions if youve got any.

a video about volunteers , patients and doctors who make a difference

Yea, I've seen you post it and I'm looking into it a bit. I guess I was just a bit concerned about the cost of it; how much will it end up costing me personally. And are drs available to give you the training and stuff you need to complete before going there. I don't even know how to approach that. Give me details and maybe I'll look into it more seriously. Thanks.

There are several threads on SDN in which pics have been posted of peoples' overseas experiences.

Then why do you have to go overseas? We have more than sufficient numbers of those here. Is there something about having to get a stamp on your passport and enduring a transoceanic flight that makes it more meaningful? :laugh:

Ok give me some legitimate worthwhile organizations around here. it doesn't have to be overseas. I'm actually volunteering at a camp with children with cancer this summer. Tell me about some good experiences instead of all this photcopying stuff. They were good in the beginning, now they're not funny and you arebecoming more and more annoying and egotistical.