anyone know someone who got in with a 7 in Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all... I'm a premed... stats GPA: 3.5 and just got my MCAT score of 7,10,10,Q ... I'm pretty disheartened about my verbal score and am asking you if you know anyone in your classes or other schools that got in with similar stats... or with a 7 in verbal...

thank-you so much

Members don't see this ad.

My good friend got into U Miami, UF and USF with a 7 in verbal (but a combined score of 30, and English is her second language).....there are lots of people who get in with 7's on verbal.

I had a 27 (9,9,9) / 3.66 and I got into UF, Temple and Finch

There's hope for you :) This time last year I first sent in my amcas (Oct 3rd).

buena suerte!

Me. :(

I only took the MCAT once, but I'm a super slow reader back in my college days. I didn't finish the last 3 passages. :(

My combined was 30, and the 7 was the only bad thing on the application. I'm kind of embarrassed by it still, and don't talk about it much.

Remember that there's more to your application than a single score. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctora Foxy, Dr Andrew... you guys are great, you really made me feel better today, I have a feeling you'll both make fantastic doctors.

thank-you

:love:

A good friend of mine got a 6 on verbal, a 12 on bio, and a 14 on physical sciences. He will be graduating from medical school in May.:)

I know a guy at u of miami on full scholarship who got a 23. there is hope!:)

One of my college roommates is now a 3rd year at Harvard Medical school got a 7 on his verbal. Granted he got 14, 14 on his other 2 sections. He was heavily recruited by all the top 25 schools. I mean after his acceptances deans were calling and writing him back to lure him to their schools.

no offense, but i don't believe that.

I earned a 7V-12PS-12BS (second try) on the MCAT and was accepted to several schools last year. Getting acceped with a 7 in verbal can be done, but keep in mind the whole application screening process is very random (IMHO).

No no, of course I believe you can get accepted to many schools even with a 7 verbal. It's just for harvard I don't believe it... not unless English is your second language of a few years being in the states AND you got an S or T on the writing portion. But it doesn't matter.. .if they did, that's great for them! Just remember everyone... verbal is the most important section, generally speaking, for medical schools.

I recieved a 7 in verbal and got a number of interviews last year and I am now a MS1 at Einstein. Just apply to a fair number of schools to account for the fact that the 7 is going to eliminate you from a majority of schools that are more number oriented. If all else is good, the interview is the place where you can really redeem yourself. Good luck and don't try to think too much about that 7. It hurts, but its not the entire picture. Cheers. :cool:

I scored a 7 on the verbal, but scored decently over all... I got interviews with all TX schools (I wanted to stay in-state), and I'm currently an MS2 at Baylor. It can be done. One score will not ruin you, but I can safely say that they'll scrutinize your application a lot more if they see a 7, especially in verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
got 7 on verbal, M on writing sample (esl). other scores pretty good. got into 3 med schools.

I got in w/ a 7 on verbal also...
It was frustrating when I got the scores, and only applied to 2 schools b/c I was certain that I was going to have to take the test again (MCAT). Turns out I got accepted into both, and I'm starting my second year, kinda... already finished micro, psychiatry...

As long as you're sincere about being a doc, the adcoms will notice you and remember you.:) ;)

After having interviewed and evaluated many applicants, I can tell you that no one looks at one number. Committees are usually made up of a number of different faculty members, with different philosophies and different values. For example, there might be one there that is bent on numbers, and they might focus on a student's science GPA and try to argue against their getting accepted. Meanwhile, there will be others who are not so numbers crazy, and will argue for your acceptance, pointing out all the wonderful things on your application. It really functions like a jury, where there are some there to represent you and some to scrutinize you. Take home message: no one score or number decides your fate. The only exception is the MCAT when speaking about certain Ivy League places, where they have cutoffs (even though they deny it).

Some of you doubt my story that my roomate got in to Harvard, UCSF, and other top schools with a 7 verbal. Remember that he got 14's on the other sections. My college roommate is an URM. I think that is why the deans of the schools wanted him to chose their colleges so badly. But I didn't say that in the begining because I felt that this takes away from his extraordiary accomplishments in academics. I believe he deserved to be there in any case but I guess Harvard doesn't like to see a 7 verbal unless it's a special circumstance.

Originally posted by DR
The only exception is the MCAT when speaking about certain Ivy League places, where they have cutoffs (even though they deny it).

Is this true? From what I have observed, Harvard tends to look beyond numbers. This is from actual cases, not what Harvard claims. I have read and known a number of people who got into Harvard with 7 in verbal and 30 MCAT's. I think Harvard is really into recruiting people with unusual and extraordinary circumstances, including those who have an undeniable sense of compassion and joy for the practice of medicine.

If anything, I think Harvard is the last place that plays the numbers game. Although, Columbia and Upenn tend to focus heavily on numbers.

Will someone corroborate my account?

what about the UC schools? do they have cutoffs for the verbal score? or do they look at the whole package when giving out secondaries? =D

Originally posted by misscalipig
what about the UC schools? do they have cutoffs for the verbal score? or do they look at the whole package when giving out secondaries? =D

They do have cutoffs. But if you show that you are a wellrounded person with interesting experiences and EC's, they will look beyond the numbers. That is why the personal statement is so important.

Hey canes 2006 I love your avatar. Thats my favorite Disney movie, Do you look like Bell? The funny thing my wife looks like her. it's all good hehe:D

Originally posted by Cambrian
They do have cutoffs. But if you show that you are a wellrounded person with interesting experiences and EC's, they will look beyond the numbers. That is why the personal statement is so important.

does anyone know the cut offs? or is it hush hush ;0)

I know someone who got in with Verbal 4, to a top 20 school(US News).

You just have to be persistent, shine in other factors (PS/BS 13-14's, ECs). Don't give up, especially those ESLs.

These scores can come up. My first VS was a 4. This past April I scored an 11.

My writing score is still very low, but I got in, anyway.

Well as the person who started this thread just over a year ago... I'll update you all on my situation... well from writing the MCAT and scoring a 7,10,10,Q --> I re-wrote it and scored a 7,12,12,O. Alas my verbal did not improve and my writing sample went down a little too! BUT I got in to med school last month and am completely thrilled.

So bottom line: NEVER GIVE UP! there is always hope! if one score is low, just make sure to shine in the others :)

so good luck all and keep thinking positively!

my mcat physics teacher got a 6 and i think got into finch; he had a 14 on physical sc. though...and a 13/14 on bio