• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Anyone learn 2 languages at once during med school?

About the Ads

ThetisAntithesis

2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Interested in this as well. Not 2 languages though lol.
I took online Spanish recently and teacher was great. Was hoping to continue but didn't think I'd have time as an incoming MS1.
I think I'll play it by ear, see how it is and if doable, start up again.

Lexdiamondz

7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Learning two closely related languages simultaneously when starting from scratch will be easy in some ways and difficult in others. On the one hand there's enough common vocab and grammar that you won't have to truly "relearn" two whole languages. OTOH you will inevitably get the two confused.

penpenclown

5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2015
Minnesota
  1. Pre-Medical
Why not learn one language and then ladder with the other?

At least you can use anki for both. Language learners on Reddit are the only group of people I know of as staunch in their support of Anki as med students. In fact I don't know if anyone else even knows what Anki is haha.

Reactions: 1 users

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
  1. Medical Student

At least you can use anki for both. Language learners on Reddit are the only group of people I know of as staunch in their support of Anki as med students. In fact I don't know if anyone else even knows what Anki is haha.

Is anki popular for languages?

blockrudder1

Oct 14, 2019
  1. Medical Student

Another reason to be grinding on anki :smack:

Thanks though ill definitely look into that reddit community!

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
  1. Medical Student
It was literally made for language learning and we just harnessed it's potential.

Wow I didn’t know that. You’d think if it was made for language learning that audio playback would have been built in. Maybe it is. I am not super anki savvy. I just know how to use lightyear lol.

penpenclown

5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2015
Minnesota
  1. Pre-Medical
Wow I didn’t know that. You’d think if it was made for language learning that audio playback would have been built in. Maybe it is. I am not super anki savvy. I just know how to use lightyear lol.
I'm no anki expert so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I've used decks that had audio.
Thanks though ill definitely look into that reddit community!
r/languagelearning is the main one and has a lot of good resources. There are usually subreddits for specific languages with varying quality.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.