Anyone like me out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DryEye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member to this forum but have been reading the posts here for a long time. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has gotten an acceptance (and to which school) with my kind of stats. I am going to be re-writing the OATs in July. I have applied to Waterloo once but got rejected. I am now planning on applying to the US for the first time ever in Aug/Sep 08.

Here are my stats:
First degree: cGPA 3.0, Science (Prereqs): GPA 2.8
Post Bacc: 3.9 GPA (one full year; 10 courses)
Optometric Assistant: 4 years
Research Assistant: 1 year at a university
Held a number of volunteer positions: Children's Hospital, Geriatrics Hospital, Tutoring, Student Counsel
Other Jobs: Medical Assistant, Salesperson
OAT Score: Aiming for atleast 360 or more
I am a mature student, hoping that my life experiences can play a role.

So anyone like me out there who can give me some hope?

Thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum but have been reading the posts here for a long time. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has gotten an acceptance (and to which school) with my kind of stats. I am going to be re-writing the OATs in July. I have applied to Waterloo once but got rejected. I am now planning on applying to the US for the first time ever in Aug/Sep 08.

Here are my stats:
Held a number of volunteer positions: Children's Hospital, Geriatrics Hospital, Tutoring, Student Counsel

It sounds to me like you'll do just fine. I'm currently a 2nd year at UMSL. Here's my stats:
First degree: GPA 3.4 (BSci in Math w/ Computer Science minor)
Worked as a software engineer for 12 years. (7 years or so doing medical billing software programming/support)
OAT Score: 330 (TS 340)
Pre Req GPA (all classes taken at night at a community college): 3.85
Optometric Experience: minimal shadowing.

I walked away from a comfortable career so that I could pursue my childhood dread of being an optometrist. If I can do it without any 'real' optometric experience, you should have no problem, given your experience, grades & enthusiasm for the field.

rkl_OD2be

Hi,

Here are my stats:

If you really can get a 360 on your OAT, then I think you're in the clear. My college GPA was slightly higher than yours, but not by much believe me. OAT was 330 and I got in UHCO. I'm not sure how competitive it is now, but with all your extra activities, I would think you should have no problem getting in. Although, do you want to be in huge debt after you graduate and work for walmart????

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx for the replies!

Hmmm...how long does it take to pay off the debt?? I'm thinking of coming back to Canada to practise. From my experience with ODs, it really isn't too bad to open a practise, especially an office next to a well known optical store... Where I have worked, eye exams were $100 and are now up to $120.

I don't plan to work at Walmart or Sam's Club... At the least I hope to work as an associate. I heard that usually the owner takes 50% of what you make... I have thought about this a lot actually... I know there's not a lot of $$ in optometry unless you really try to expand your own business and put in 7 days/week of work. I really just want to be an optometrist... I really hope I can pay off the loans and then take it from there...

What is your situation with your loan? How long have you been an OD?

Thanx for the replies!

Hmmm...how long does it take to pay off the debt?? I'm thinking of coming back to Canada to practise. From my experience with ODs, it really isn't too bad to open a practise, especially an office next to a well known optical store... Where I have worked, eye exams were $100 and are now up to $120.

I don't plan to work at Walmart or Sam's Club... At the least I hope to work as an associate. I heard that usually the owner takes 50% of what you make... I have thought about this a lot actually... I know there's not a lot of $$ in optometry unless you really try to expand your own business and put in 7 days/week of work. I really just want to be an optometrist... I really hope I can pay off the loans and then take it from there...

What is your situation with your loan? How long have you been an OD?

It all depends on how you take out loans or obtain money. If you are getting money from banks and making repayments at a 30 year interval after graduation, then monthly downpayments will be less, but you'll be done after 30 years. Remember that a 30 year payback is NOT bad at all. I know of some very rich OD's who own multiple practices, and make close to 750K net, but still have some of their loans left to pay. You've probably read this OD's articles in optometry magazines or seen him lecture before. I'm a strong believer that cash flow is more important than paying back immediately.

I was lucky in that I bought and sold houses before I started OD school, and used that money to pay for school.