Anyone managed to tie in a love of Finance / Investing into their personal story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member2223

Pondering non-trad...
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about this as this is my passion but I wonder how I can tie this in to my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I work in finance right now and it has mostly been a net negative in interviews. Since 2007, financial industry is bogeyman in this country, perhaps rightly so with the subprime crisis and all.

I would strongly advise against saying “it’s your passion” anywhere because adcom members will say “so why isn’t he working at a hedgefund or prop shop.” You can mention it as a hobby, or if you do anything to empower disadvantaged communities via investing (ex. Financial literacy) but avoid the word passion.

Spoke about financial literacy promotion within disadvantaged communities in my essays. It has come up in interviews as a positive

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a part of who you are, then I would absolutely include it. You should include all of your work experiences/hobbies on your application because the more things you list, the more well-rounded you will appear. However I would caution against mentioning finance as a "passion" because, as was said above, people will ask you why you are pursuing a career in healthcare instead. You should have a good reason for this question ("why medicine?") and if finance is a part of that (e.g. you want to puruse a joint MBA/M.D. degree), then that's even better!

I would want to know more about which is your stronger passion and purpose: finance or medicine. They are both completely different things, so I would want to know why you haven't looked into health admin (MHA)? Who are your role models that emulate the balance you desire in finance and medicine? Who are your mentors who can talk you into or out of this idea of yours?

There are a number of people who work, get an MBA, get tired of working, and decide to go to med school.

While you want your personal statement to convey who you are, you also want it to show that you have: (i) a strong desire to pursue medicine; (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits and experiences necessary to be an asset to a medical school and the profession. Make sure that you understand what you are trying to accomplish before you begin writing, and make sure every sentence in your personal statement furthers that purpose.

Last edited: