n618ft

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a primary care residency - PGY1. We get as much OR time as we want and I'm taking them up on the offer. Unfortunately, it's making me miss the OR and hands-on work like crazy. Does anyone have some feedback with their own experiences in handling this?

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Every once in awhile but then I remember the schedule that surgeons and obgyns have (the 2 specialties I was considering) and I am SO happy that I'm doing primary care.

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm in a primary care residency - PGY1. We get as much OR time as we want and I'm taking them up on the offer. Unfortunately, it's making me miss the OR and hands-on work like crazy. Does anyone have some feedback with their own experiences in handling this?
Is it more the OR or is it hands-on work? If it's hands-on work, how about the ICU?

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Do you miss the actual operating room, or would you prefer to be doing procedural-based medicine? IM is so broad you can absolutely do plenty of procedures, but actual OR (as opposed to cath/GI/Pulm labs) time will be minimal.

OP
N

n618ft

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Actually miss complicated abdominal and pelvic surgeries :-/

AlmostAnMD

7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I'm missing the OR every day of my residency

Specifically, I have to walk right by it to get to where I'm going

Reactions: Raryn

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Actually miss complicated abdominal and pelvic surgeries :-/
I'm lost here help me out, you are in a "primary care" residency, so IM vs FM? But you get as much OR time as you want? Enough time to catch a complex LAR or hysterectomy? You don't have clinical obligations as most interns do? I'm in anesthesiology now, but I didn't have any downtime to catch a 5 hour surgery in the middle of the day during internship...

Why did you decide on IM/FM vs OBGYN (which is what you clearly are aiming towards?) in the first place, there is a lot of primary care involved in that specialty.

OP
N

n618ft

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm lost here help me out, you are in a "primary care" residency, so IM vs FM? But you get as much OR time as you want? Enough time to catch a complex LAR or hysterectomy? You don't have clinical obligations as most interns do? I'm in anesthesiology now, but I didn't have any downtime to catch a 5 hour surgery in the middle of the day during internship...

Why did you decide on IM/FM vs OBGYN (which is what you clearly are aiming towards?) in the first place, there is a lot of primary care involved in that specialty.
Matched into FM - first choice was OB. Great program though. Considering we have GYN, OB, Ortho, GS and our calls cover L&D... clinic is once a week for half a day... plenty of surgery and as long as we don't violate hours we can follow patients to the OR. Electives next year can be surgical too. Was debating reapplying locally or just finishing this and getting more experience afterwards whether that be rural or another residency. More than willing to max out my schedule for the next few years - great family support to not burn out and I don't mind the 80-100hr weeks.

jthedestroyr

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2013
South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I liked Ob too but matched anesthesia. I think I liked the idea of what they do. I get to the hospital at 6 or 0530 if it's a big case and we get pissy if we leave between 5-7. My friend that's an Ob resident gets up at 330-4, gets home late AND has clinic.

Yeah, grass is greener my friend until you see it really isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: northernpsy

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Matched into FM - first choice was OB. Great program though. Considering we have GYN, OB, Ortho, GS and our calls cover L&D... clinic is once a week for half a day... plenty of surgery and as long as we don't violate hours we can follow patients to the OR. Electives next year can be surgical too. Was debating reapplying locally or just finishing this and getting more experience afterwards whether that be rural or another residency. More than willing to max out my schedule for the next few years - great family support to not burn out and I don't mind the 80-100hr weeks.
If you tried to match OB and didn't, I wouldn't leave your current program. Finish and if you are still interested, apply for an OB residency.

OP
N

n618ft

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I didn't rank every program and didn't apply anywhere near where I am. I'm the SE but applied strictly to the NE since my parents are there for a few years. Very competitive applicant - 30 interview offers. Spoke with a couple PD's and they told me they ranked local people higher and if that's what I really want to do, I should reapply now.

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
I didn't rank every program and didn't apply anywhere near where I am. I'm the SE but applied strictly to the NE since my parents are there for a few years. Very competitive applicant - 30 interview offers. Spoke with a couple PD's and they told me they ranked local people higher and if that's what I really want to do, I should reapply now.
Just realize that it you take this step, it will likely mean you losing your current spot regardless of matching to an ob spot. You'll need a lor from your PD for the application.