Anyone NOT receive NYU secondary invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I consider myself lucky that I am not going through this process this year, HOLY **** they are being tough.

NYU's always been a heavy hitter with #'s but this makes sense! With more applicants and still only a class of 160 which means probably still only a couple hundred interviews, NYU is going to have to kick people out right away.

Look on the bright side, at least they aren't leading you on, like some other schools, up the road from us!

It's much better to save your money for other secondaries than be told to send a secondary and wait till Feb. 15 to find out interviews are over and you never heard back.

Good luck guys, and incase you're wondering my #'s, they were right inline with last year's recommendations for applicants that somehow has vanished from the website.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received a secondary from NYU yet...but my app was just processed on 8/5. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes to receive one after having one's app processed?

darn. i have around a 3.4 and above 10s on my science sections...still no secondary. dumb NYU. you would think that if i was in their grad program they would at least give me a second look....

uclabruin2003 said:
darn. i have around a 3.4 and above 10s on my science sections...still no secondary. dumb NYU. you would think that if i was in their grad program they would at least give me a second look....

Which program?

I can't believe how many people keep telling me that that they were screened out. It's amazing!

davedavedave said:
this explains nyu's really high acceptance rate, they screen out tons and tons of apps

Are you talking about the 27% acceptance rate that USNews uses? If so, you should know that that is a miscalulated number. The real number is under 10%.

I would venture a guess this year will be closer to 5. Agree?

Bendrix said:
The screening process is new this year, but last year NYU included the following line in its application instructions to give applicants a sense of their chances:

"Applicants with GPAs below 3.4 and MCAT scores below 10 in the science sections are urged to strengthen their academic credentials before applying to NYU."

Since discouraging unrealistic applications is out of vogue in the USNews-era, I'm guessing no one this year has seen that warning.

Their screening process must be based solely on GPA's b/c I recieved a secondary invite, and I haven't even taken the MCAT yet (5 more days!).

MissionComplete said:
Which program?

I can't believe how many people keep telling me that that they were screened out. It's amazing!

I am in their public administration program aka Wagner School of Public Service majoring in Health Policy and Administration....seems like even though i want to do good..it wont help....sucks the big one

SanDiegoSOD said:
Are you talking about the 27% acceptance rate that USNews uses? If so, you should know that that is a miscalulated number. The real number is under 10%.

how it is miscalculated? are u sure the acceptance rate is really under 10%?

uclabruin2003 said:
I am in their public administration program aka Wagner School of Public Service majoring in Health Policy and Administration....seems like even though i want to do good..it wont help....sucks the big one
But you haven't actually been screened out, have you? Don't despair, activity from admissions offices comes in waves, and it's still very, very early. Last year NYU didn't start interviewing candidates until November.

Exactly. I think those of us who haven't gotten a secondary yet need to chill out. A few days ago, everyone was scared that Duke screened, when it turns out that it's probably just an alphabetical thing. I realize that NYU is screening, but they're going to issue them in waves, I assure you. Otherwise they would set a deadline for AMCAS submission of August 1 or something.

Best of luck to all

Members don't see this ad :)
davedavedave said:
how it is miscalculated? are u sure the acceptance rate is really under 10%?
I'm not sure that the number in the latest USNews was miscalculated, though around here, rumor had it that USNews had used NYU's percent interviewed, instead of percent accepted. I think that NYU's acceptance rate had typically been around 15%, but that will surely fall this year due to AMCAS use and the disappearance of that helpful tip about competitive numbers.

I'm not convinced that the expected drop in acceptance rate means that NYU will actually be harder to get into this year. I think that the changes in application procedures will mainly serve to increase the number of unqualified applicants and the number of applicants who don't really want to go to NYU, even if accepted. Neither of these types of applicants is likely to occupy a seat in the class of 2009, and neither type is likely to make it harder the qualified, committed applicant to get in.

has anyone recieved an email from NYU that their application is complete/incomplete? I sent my secondary a couple of weeks ago but I havent heard anything from them since. I am starting to get worried that they never recieved it or something

I just called NYU and the guy told me that since I was not invited to fill out a secondary at this time my application was not as competitive as the apps that are getting secondaries...he also told me that I wasn't screened out. I guess a 3.5 undergrad, 4.0 post-bacc, 30 MCAT is just too average. :(

it would appear that way...

Nitro said:
has anyone recieved an email from NYU that their application is complete/incomplete? I sent my secondary a couple of weeks ago but I havent heard anything from them since. I am starting to get worried that they never recieved it or something

On Friday (I think), I got an email from NYU stating that my application was complete and that I would be notified when a final action had been taken.

NYU sent me a quick and small email stating I have completed my application.

AMCAS processed 6/23/2004
Secondary invite received 7/26/2004
Submitted on 7/31/2004
Completed as of 8/9/2004
Interview-...hahahaha hopefully I will get one, extreme longshot though

GPA- 3.47 MCAT-25 (8V, 8P, 9B) April 2004
Tons of clinical experience, tons of other stuff, one leadership award, some honor societies

Its a crapshot guys!!!
Good luck all!!! :thumbup:

Chiku said:
I just called NYU and the guy told me that since I was not invited to fill out a secondary at this time my application was not as competitive as the apps that are getting secondaries...he also told me that I wasn't screened out. I guess a 3.5 undergrad, 4.0 post-bacc, 30 MCAT is just too average. :(

does this mean that if we are not invited now for the secondary...that we will not be invited at all? or is there a chance? not that i will get in there...but i would have hoped that i could at least get a secondary to showcare some of my talents...LOL :D

uclabruin2003 said:
does this mean that if we are not invited now for the secondary...that we will not be invited at all? or is there a chance? not that i will get in there...but i would have hoped that i could at least get a secondary to showcare some of my talents...LOL :D

The secondary doesn't ask for any additional info that's not on AMCAS....but they do give you a chance to showcase your credit card. and i guess they look over your LORs.

they have a section that asks for any factors you think that could have effected your education. Emotional or physical factors i think...

Personally, I think that was what they were looking in my case...i dont know for sure though...

Other than that...its all about the money... :rolleyes:

as for the question about if they will ever invite you? I have no idea...

i was told that I wasn't screened out, therefore, I might be invited to complete the secondary later on (how does this work?)...that is what I got from this guy.

well, i didnt get a secondary invite until a month later(6/23P, 7/26invite) after my amcas was processed. I have read on SDN some people got invites like a week after their amcas was processed....

Thus, it might be true that you can receive an invite later on...I didn't realize that may have happenned with me but it makes sense. Numberwise, your a lot better than me Chiku...so I wouldnt stress too much. You might get one in a few weeks. Good luck though! :thumbup:

I got an NYU secondary today so they must be sending out their next wave of 2ndaries..good luck to everyone

Just got my NYU secondary.....I called them this morning and they said another batch of emails was going out........

-tx

I just got it too. Check your emails guys :)

Yay I passed their screening!!! I just got their email a few minutes ago :)
Not terrible, no hard essays. Woo hoo!!!

Good luck guys and congrats to everyone else who got invites today!

davidthegnome said:
screened out today 3.39 gpa 33 mcat, a year and a half neuroscience research at mayo, oh well

That's weird, I got the invite but only have a 3.46/34. Not much different than you.

I was processed on 8/4 and received my NYU secondary today. good luck.