1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anyone overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by EMTB2MD, Jul 24, 2011.

1. EMTB2MD

EMTB2MD New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Signing up for undergraduate courses as an older non-traditional student, taking classes and the pressure of getting all 'A+', preparing for and excelling on the MCAT, volunteer work, getting glowing recommendations, the list goes on and on!

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and get 'paralysis of analysis'. Medicine is my dream and has been for most of my life. I can see it, feel it and taste it.

Anyone else out there feel overwhelmed at times? If so, how do you deal with it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    You don't need an A+.

As far as dealing with the stresses, you just have to take everything step by step. I made zero progress when I tried to do everything at once. When I started to break everything down into manageable pieces, I started to see results. If 18000 people are going to med school every year, then it's not impossible.

4. EMTB2MD

EMTB2MD New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of setting daily, weekly and monthly targets to hit so I can measure my progress. I'm hoping this will help!

5. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I've been a resident for all of five weeks, and I feel overwhelmed most of the time. Today was actually better than most, but it was a lighter day than usual. Friday, in contrast, was a disaster. :smack:

I get through by taking things one day at a time. Every day, I tell myself that I will only worry about getting through this one day, and that I will worry about tomorrow's problems tomorrow. I have enough to do today that it's not hard to be too busy to worry about tomorrow! The next day, I do the same thing. And the next day. And the next day. Suddenly, it's a month later, and I'm finishing my first rotation. It's like, woah, when did that happen???

If you continue on in medicine, you will always have too much to do and too little time to do it in. The sooner you come to terms with that and let go of the Type A obsession with perfection, the better off you will be.

6. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    it is good to plan, but don't get too crazy. things aren't going to go as planned. that is just life. but good luck on your journey. i get overwhelmed sometimes and i deal with it. usually in the first 2 weeks of class when i know everything i need to get done, and all the things i want to get done. it will be worth it.

7. CityLights

7+ Year Member

This is great advice.

8. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
  9. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

Sometimes, but then I try to look back on what I have already accomplished that I thought I might not be able to do and like Q says, just work on the here and now. The rest will come soon enough, it always does. It's just one day at a time, one little success at a time.

It's also when/if you do fall short you don't beat yourself up or dwell on it but take it as learning experience of what not to do and move on from there.

Of course this is all easier said than done :p

10. Iwillhealyou

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#9 Iwillhealyou, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. CaptainObvious

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yup. Agreed. I'm 40 years old and the only time I think about medical school is when I'm on SDN. Otherwise, it's 1 day at a time, 1 assignment at a time, 1 test at a time but always with the end goal in the back of my mind. Thinking too far into the future is more a hindrance than a help. I know where I want to go but I don't live for the future. I'm enjoying the journey and adding it to the journal of my life.

Man, that's cheesy. I gotta stop drinking while posting.

12. ShoTyme

ShoTyme We're going STREAKING!!!

Pre-Medical
    There is so much great advice here. I agree that step by step is the way to go. Just like running a marathon. One cannot think about the end, but rather just concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other. Eventually the end will sneak up on you. Then you will most likely have other goals to shoot for that also seem so far away. That's life. Enjoy the ride!

13. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First of all, don't taste medicine. REALLY bad move.

But yes, it's overwhelming. And just when you've finally gotten a good grasp on where you are and what you need, they go and change up the game. There are some med schools where you can literally find students tweaking/freaking out in the hallways. Avoid those places, and as others have said: one step at a time. :)

14. DoctorRock25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think I was pretty overwhelmed when I had to work full time and study for this exam. I mean, who's looking forward to reviewing a deck of physics review cards after a long hard day's worth of work? But, it's something I had to do and I just realize that something greater is going to come after this if I press through the urge to hop into bed.

15. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

Lol, I liked it. Continue on...

16. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I also think that when you are younger, you just don't have enough experience to understand how the world works and you stress out on the little things.

As you get older, applying to med school is not as bad as some other stresses. So what I'm saying, the whole process is a little bit more manageable as you get older because it is not as stressful as other parts of your non-trad life.

I wish everything in life was as easy as sitting in a classroom and getting some grades.

17. NightGod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LOL, right? I love the kids who are taking 13 CR and working 15 hrs a week at Starbucks who get all stressed out about not having enough time to do homework.

18. phillypd

phillypd doing BIG Dr things
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First let me start by saying this to all the people who are older and it seems too much! It is too much! And that's what makes you an exceptional person for doing this..
    I was 26 when i started college (undergrad), i worked full time as a cop (3rd shift by choice) and i went to school full time during the day. (molecular bio major) I did this for four years, non-stop! I handled the same course load as the 19 year olds and it was rough. In between work, class, court, spouse and kid.. I tried to sleep! i was always tired.. i studied more than most b/c it took me longer to grasp concepts. I studied hard for the MCAT... and still scored below ******ed the first time.. and the second time..LOL but eventually i did it..
    Don't worry so much about having the exact same resume as the younger folks... admissions people know that you are working and have a family and other things going on besides school... they actually love that you have work experience and maturity on ur side. So they are usually more forgiving with all the extra things that 20 yr olds have ample time to do. Grades and MCAT scores are still important tho... so keep those up! It has gotten wayyyy more competitive even with D.O. schools.. I didn't get accepted the first go round... so i went and got a grad degree to make my app a bit more competitive.. I got accepted the second go round.. and if you think your busy now... wait till you get in med school.. it's non-forgiving, it doesn't care about ur family..or any other obligations you may have.. you will study like never before... I studied at least 12hrs a day for wks and wks...getting ready for exams. I hardly see my spouse, when i come home he is sleep cause it's 2am and i'm coming from studying with my group. I am now a 3rd year.. and even tho the classes and constant exams are done... you are still reading and studying for rotations.. you'll be asked question of things you have never heard of..or have no idea about.. and they will make you look dumb in front of other students and patients if you are suppose to know something. Everyone goes thru this so expect it.. it's different from anything you have experienced.. but in the end... they will call you doctor!
    If anyone has questions about the process, classes (undergrad/med) inbox me.. i'm always studying or doing something pertaining to school.. so give me atleast a day to get back to you... i haven't been on here in some time because of classes and boards.. but i will try to answer all questions

19. hitchhiker

2+ Year Member

yeah, i applied and now i'm just burned out. Went to a med school open house and that was inspiring, but I really just want to get my EKG cert and start Fall classes again (and hopefully work as an EKG tech)

Until then, the free time is drilling holes in my sanity.