Overwhelmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newolduser

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a bit late in finishing my AMCAS app, mostly because I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm finally at a good place with my Personal Statement, but my activities/experiences section is going to be a beast. I'm not sure how to classify the very different experiences I've had since 2007 (my freshman year of college). I had extensive volunteering and leadership in undergrad. Then, I started a post-bacc, had leadership there, left for 2 years of service, then lived abroad, then did another year of service, then grad school, then a full-time job, then another full-time job, and now we're here. Along the way, I've done A LOT of volunteering and I usually have at least 2 jobs going on at any one point. I typed out every experience I could think of, and the list came to 50+ different things. How are any other non-trads taking *everything* and consolidating it into something cohesive?

I know I can do "Leadership - Undergrad" but if I followed that, each type of those experiences would take up 3 different time periods and I'd run out of room. I guess I just want to know if anybody is/was in the same boat and found a successful way to represent their journey. Any and all help would be extremely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro might say that
- space is limited on AMCAS. narrow your EC list down to the most meaningful ones
- the same activity done during different times can be classed in the same slot
- have you taken the mcat?

I had a similar challenge when picking things for the activities section. I ended up picking experiences to fit the time span I wanted and to help me create the narrative that I wanted. For nontrads, there is an understanding that the activities section is not exhaustive.

Yea I would prioritize clinical ECs over other ECs, and try to frame your activities to fit your PS.