Overwhelmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newolduser

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been a bit late in finishing my AMCAS app, mostly because I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm finally at a good place with my Personal Statement, but my activities/experiences section is going to be a beast. I'm not sure how to classify the very different experiences I've had since 2007 (my freshman year of college). I had extensive volunteering and leadership in undergrad. Then, I started a post-bacc, had leadership there, left for 2 years of service, then lived abroad, then did another year of service, then grad school, then a full-time job, then another full-time job, and now we're here. Along the way, I've done A LOT of volunteering and I usually have at least 2 jobs going on at any one point. I typed out every experience I could think of, and the list came to 50+ different things. How are any other non-trads taking *everything* and consolidating it into something cohesive?

I know I can do "Leadership - Undergrad" but if I followed that, each type of those experiences would take up 3 different time periods and I'd run out of room. I guess I just want to know if anybody is/was in the same boat and found a successful way to represent their journey. Any and all help would be extremely appreciated.
 
@Goro might say that
- space is limited on AMCAS. narrow your EC list down to the most meaningful ones
- the same activity done during different times can be classed in the same slot
- have you taken the mcat?
 
I had a similar challenge when picking things for the activities section. I ended up picking experiences to fit the time span I wanted and to help me create the narrative that I wanted. For nontrads, there is an understanding that the activities section is not exhaustive.
 
Yea I would prioritize clinical ECs over other ECs, and try to frame your activities to fit your PS.