anyone pay for a premed advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Su

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, my schools's premed advisor is new and doesn't know anything. since i am a borderline appliant i thought i would go to a professional advisor to look over my statement,etc. there is this woman in my area who used to be dean of adissions at NYMC, and now she owns a consulting business. do you guys think it's worth it, or will i be wasting my money? thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

how much is she charging...?

basically for an initial consultation and an extra hour it woulod ne 450. i know that seems like an outrageous ammount but i feel that because i didn't have to pay for an mcat prep course (i worked at kaplan) that i could swing it. and the fact that she was dean of admissions impressed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. I get all the info I need right here!

Yeah, skip it.

I agree with Mun (and none). If you really feel the need to spend some money, get your essay read by one of those professional essay editors. I had no advisor (well, no advisor that I ever talked to) and have done just fine.

(I didn't see a professional editor either, but some people on this board had really good luck with them).

Read through all the threads on this site giving advice about how to get in, and "what I wish I had known", etc... Also check the kind of advice you can get on medicalgold and on the forum at examkrackers.com. If you still feel really insecure, pay the money. It's a drop in the bucket and this is far too important a process to nickle and dime the expenses. Basically, I agree with the folks who say you can go it alone, but it is an individual decision and you need to be able to feel that you gave it your best effort.

I was going to, when I thought I hadn't gotten in this year. Since I really didn't know how to improve my app any more, I figured I'd ask a professional.

I was going to use Judy Colwell. She's cheaper than the person you were talking about ($125 per hour) but she's in California. Here's her webpage: <a href="http://www.judycolwell.com/" target="_blank">Judy Colwell Admissions Consulting</a>.

Anyway, I agree with the others that you probably don't need "official" advising unless your situation is very unusual. Hopefully we'll be able to help you out.

That person may help you get into NYMC, but I don't think her advice will be applicable to other schools.

SDN is the best.

DO NOT GET A PRE-MED ADVISOR.

It's a waste of money and if you think that having a paid advisor is going to help you get in you are sorely mistaken.

All the advice you could ever want, you can get through asking questions and reading posts here.

thanx everyone, i really appreciate it

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Nuclearrabbit:
•DO NOT GET A PRE-MED ADVISOR.

It's a waste of money and if you think that having a paid advisor is going to help you get in you are sorely mistaken.

All the advice you could ever want, you can get through asking questions and reading posts here.•••••Absolutly agree with u!!! :)