Anyone preparing to apply to LECOM in the upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heesha21

Reaction score
Hi all. Was hoping to start a conversation about LECOM for those of us planning to apply during the upcoming cycle (summer 2018 start). I am coming at it from the perspective of a non-traditional student looking at the distance pathway, but would love to hear conversation from all sides.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed it and am just waiting on reccomendations and a transcript that had to be mailed. You?

That stinks. I had to re-request one of mine because it was taking so long - turns out there was a glitch when I requested it. I'm applying to the distance pathway which mirrors Bradenton - you?

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is a bit unique - i graduated with a BS in psychology 15 years ago, summa cum laude. Went to school for my PhD in clinical psych and had a 4.0, but left after a year for a bunch of reasons. I'm back in school now to update my core sciences and other pre-reqs and doing well. I did some reasearch and published a couple psych papers when I was an undergrad, but I'm finding it hard to have time to get involved in research or pharm tech experience since I have to work full time in additionto school. I'm hoping they won't consider my past achievements too old to be noteworthy. Distance is my only choice because there are no local pharm schools, so I'm not taking the pcat since LECOM doesn't require it. How about you? I'm a bit jealous of people looking at the accelerated pathway - it would be great to be done so quickly!

Wow, good for you! Yeah, I have orgo 1 and 2 ahead of me too. Well fingers crossed for us! Are you applying many other places?

Why do you want to go to LECOM? It's an unorganized school and admin is always frustrating

Do you go there? If so, why are you still there if you dislike it so much?

I hear its hard to do well on the pcat before you take orgo anyways. Did you apply early decision to either?

Just so you know, once you send your application in don't freak out if it doesn't say "early decision program" on your application. the whole week after i sent my application in it said that i applied for the normal program and i knew i didn't and i called pharmcas and told them what happened and they said that there was nothing they could do but the week after pharmcas changed the status of my application to early decision. Just letting you guys know so you don't freak out cause i was losing my mind thinking that my application didn't go through correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know - thanks! Although I'm impressed you got ahold of a human there - I've been calling for weeks with no luck.

The application deadline is September 4th but on my application it says "decision decision verdict date 10/17/2018" and the applications goes through to lecom once you send it in and pay for it. They have to wait until pharmcas verifies your application but they receive your application as soon as its sent in and before it becomes verified. I would get it in as soon as possible but i wouldn't be too worried about it not being verified by September 4th.

Hi all, I just wonder if anyone apply for LECOM early decision for this new cycle and got an interview yet?

Yes, I have an interview in Bradenton the 20th and I've heard others have interviews as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview in Pennsylvania for the Erie pathway. Most of the time we toured the school and spoke with students. It wasn't something to be nervous for! The interviews were in groups and they asked simple questions. They just want to know more about you, nothing to trick you. Everyone was so kind, the interview session they held made a great first impression on the school. I highly recommend you apply there as well

sounds great, I hope you get in, I applied for bradenton, look forward to it. how was your interview @heesha21 ?

Hey buddy I think we had the interview on the same day....did you hear back from them yet

@livelifehappily ...had my interview this past week. I think it went well. Everyone was very nice. Now its just the waiting game. Anyone hear back yet?

@livelifehappily ...had my interview this past week. I think it went well. Everyone was very nice. Now its just the waiting game. Anyone hear back yet?

I had my interview this week and now is waiting. Good luck to everyone. I think I did ok, could have been better, but so far so good. I wonder if people who interviewed earlier September know the result yet...

Found out I was accepted to the DE pathway yesterday via snail mail, 1 week to the day after my interview. Yay!

Found out I was accepted to the DE pathway yesterday via snail mail, 1 week to the day after my interview. Yay!
Congrats!! May I ask what is your portal status when you get accepted. I was interviewed the same day as you, but I haven’t received mail yet.

All it said was that a decision had been made. I think its the same regardless of if you've been accepted or not. Did you interview at Bradenton or Erie?

DO YOU GUYS NOT REALIZE THAT THIS SCHOOL AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR IS A SCAM??????

Also, did you receive a background check email
or something like that after your acceptance letter came?

Also, did you receive a background check email
or something like that after your acceptance letter came?
I got the background check and drugs screen, but I haven’t received my letter yet. I called Ashley, and she said the letter was sent last Tuesday, however, it has been over a week. I think my letter might missing.

I got the background check and drugs screen, but I haven’t received my letter yet. I called Ashley, and she said the letter was sent last Tuesday, however, it has been over a week. I think my letter might missing.

when did your status change? mine change just yesterday.

My status changed in September 26th. I had an interview in September 20th.

Which pathway did you interview for if you dont mind im asking? I think people said if you receive background check email, meaning you got in... good luck to you, let me know.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but check out this crock of **** claim from LECOM's website:
LOL.jpg

Meanwhile Pharmacist Demand Indicator overall decreasing for the past 10 years:
LOL2.jpg

PDI just dropped below 3 last year btw (i.e. supply is now higher than demand)

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but check out this crock of **** claim from LECOM's website:
View attachment 240722

Meanwhile Pharmacist Demand Indicator overall decreasing for the past 10 years:
View attachment 240723
PDI just dropped below 3 last year btw (i.e. supply is now higher than demand)

So what is your point? we should change our career to something else? or your point is LECOM is claiming an unreal fact?

So what is your point? we should change our career to something else? or your point is LECOM is claiming an unreal fact?
LECOM is claiming alternative fact. What you do with your career is your choice. Just be aware of the stats and trends schools will lie to you

Last edited:
LECOM is claiming alternative fact. What you do with your career is your choice. Just be aware of the stats and trends schools will lie to you

I think what LECOM was saying is simply for encouraging, advertising purpose. If you would look at other pharmacy schools, they'd say somewhat similar to that too. The role of the pharmacists have evolved and become diverse and the future increasingly will want pharmacists with those new roles, consultants, researchers, compouding, clinical, drug administration, etc...not just in retail with good pay like many of us go after.

Any school like LECOM will only prepare you for this career, whatever you do with it after that is up to you. If a job is hard to find because one has not looked out of the box, is not the school's fault, they certainly did not guarantee a job which is the same for all career.

If someone has a strong passion for this career, whatever the school or someone said about the future of your career should not affect your passion. If someone gives up their passion only because someone says it has no future, then that person will not go far. A passion is hard to find, may your passion stay with you.

I think what LECOM was saying is simply for encouraging, advertising purpose. If you would look at other pharmacy schools, they'd say somewhat similar to that too. The role of the pharmacists have evolved and become diverse and the future increasingly will want pharmacists with those new roles, consultants, researchers, compouding, clinical, drug administration, etc...not just in retail with good pay like many of us go after.
You're right. I don't mean to single out LECOM. There are definitely a lot of schools out there that spew out similar bull****. Their primary goal is to make money off of your tuition after all.

I think if they said something like pharmacists role has evolved and becoming diverse then I would let it slide(albeit it's happening at a snail's pace. Provider status is something that has been talked about since the 70s - it's just not going to happen). But to say that demand is growing is an outright lie. I know it is for advertising purposes but it is FALSE advertising.

Any school like LECOM will only prepare you for this career, whatever you do with it after that is up to you. If a job is hard to find because one has not looked out of the box, is not the school's fault, they certainly did not guarantee a job which is the same for all career.

If someone has a strong passion for this career, whatever the school or someone said about the future of your career should not affect your passion. If someone gives up their passion only because someone says it has no future, then that person will not go far. A passion is hard to find, may your passion stay with you.
Again I agree with you. No job is guaranteed no matter which school you go to. But to say that a job is hard to find because one has not looked out the box is a slap in the face to all the struggling unemployed pharmacists out there. It may change in the future but as of today a PharmD is NOT a diverse degree. The majority of positions will be retail or hospital and as you can see, those positions are steadily decreasing. Less than 1% of PharmDs get into industry or research.

Pharmacy isn't like becoming a musician or artist. Whatever makes you passionate about pharmacy, you'll be able to find similar qualities in other professions. Also whenever I ask people what makes them passionate about pharmacy, they have a lot of misconceptions:
  • "I love biology and chemistry" - Then get a PhD. There is very little biology and chemistry involved in pharmacy. The chemistry you take in pharmacy school are just quick reviews and nowhere near the level of chemistry you took in undergrad. You may need to know a little physiology but most of what you do involves memorization of drugs, dosing, side effects, interactions. Just rote memorization.
  • "I love helping people" - Then be a nurse? Nurses get more patient interaction than anybody else. Or go volunteer at the homeless shelter. Yes you get to really make a difference in someone's life every once in a while, but there are better careers if that's your primary goal.
  • "I love the business aspect" - If you want to be an independent pharmacist owner then go ahead but the future is bleak due to competition from corporations and declining PBM reimbursement. Owning your own practice as a dentist or optometrist is more lucrative. If you're a pharmacy manager then you're little more than car salesman with a DM being up your ass about quotas like script goal and flu shot goals. If you're DM then you're middle management, you're not practicing pharmacy at all. Why not just get into business rather than pharmacy school?
Let me ask you, what is it that makes you passionate about pharmacy?

Last edited:
When did everyone hear about an interview from the time their status went into "reviewing by the committee" to actually getting an email about an interview?

When did everyone hear about an interview from the time their status went into "reviewing by the committee" to actually getting an email about an interview?

Hello! I received an interview email from LECOM-B about 2 days after my application status changed to “reviewing by the committee”. Hope this helps!

" LECOM Bradenton Class of 2023 - PharmD" lecom pharm class of 2023 official facebook group.