Anyone read The Osteopathic Medicine Advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharmanderMD

Lvl 15
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished it at work tonight and some of the stories of the effects of osteopathic treatment are remarkable. I had a hard time believing a lot of it but it really excited me about the thought of becoming a DO. Not a doctor who just happens to have gone to an osteopathic med school but a real osteopath.

Anyone else read this? And if so what were your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Havent read it.... a lot of stuff is really just anecdotes and not backed by hard science... which is really one of the major reasons why osteopathic medicine is not taken as seriously. Like read up on cranial... now I havent even started med school, but it seems sketch. Those bones are freaking set...

There is also the argument that osteopaths of old helped their patients simply because they werent giving their patients the "medication" that the MDs at the time were giving - stuff that we now knowcan be toxic. People argue that THAT is the reason their patients got better under the care of DOs, not necessarily OMT. So yea, not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to help you ease off the rose colored glasses.

But either way, I hear you, I am excited to get into school and hopefully keep adding to the profession. I am excited to learn more about medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually spoke with a DO physician today regarding OMT. He said he has used it and brought relief to a lot of the patients in the ICU, but there are still some things that he simply doesnt believe (cranial OMT). He also stated that no one takes the DO OMT seriously because Osteopathic Medicine has done such a ****ty job doing research into what works and doesnt. However, he would say that for a good chunk of medicine. According to him, there are simply a lot of techniques that no one has bothered to properly research, yet we keep doing them anyways. This is really a flaw of medicine in general and its not really fair to pin that on DOs only

I am also excited to get into medical school. OMT could be a handy skill. Hopefully the new wave of DOs that come will actually sort out the stuff that actually works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I really hope people (maybe even I would be interested) in doing solid research on it. You get that stuff in real papers (not just AOA) and it can become a legitimate medicine.
Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I actually spoke with a DO physician today regarding OMT. He said he has used it and brought relief to a lot of the patients in the ICU, but there are still some things that he simply doesnt believe (cranial OMT). He also stated that no one takes the DO OMT seriously because Osteopathic Medicine has done such a ****ty job doing research into what works and doesnt. However, he would say that for a good chunk of medicine. According to him, there are simply a lot of techniques that no one has bothered to properly research, yet we keep doing them anyways. This is really a flaw of medicine in general and its not really fair to pin that on DOs only

I am also excited to get into medical school. OMT could be a handy skill. Hopefully the new wave of DOs that come will actually sort out the stuff that actually works.

I'm jealous of the insight he gave you. The DO I shadowed for a few months was great but he did an MD residency and fellowship so all he could say about OMT was "I think there's a lot of merit to it... I wish I had kept up with it."

Any alternatives to medications and surgeries seem invaluable though, so I'd be excited to learn OMT. The DOs in the book I mentioned above also use a lot of neural therapy which also really piqued my interest. One physician claimed that his near life-long crippling light sensitivity was cured by local anesthetic being injected into a scar that resulted from a back surgery... pretty cool stuff.

I spoke with a DO neurosurgeon, but he doesn't do OMM. Instead, he brings other osteopathic principles to the table and they have really made him stand out as a great spine surgeon who uses surgery as a last resort. He is really into osteopathic medicine, despite not using OMM.

I'm jealous of the insight he gave you. The DO I shadowed for a few months was great but he did an MD residency and fellowship so all he could say about OMT was "I think there's a lot of merit to it... I wish I had kept up with it."

Any alternatives to medications and surgeries seem invaluable though, so I'd be excited to learn OMT. The DOs in the book I mentioned above also use a lot of neural therapy which also really piqued my interest. One physician claimed that his near life-long crippling light sensitivity was cured by local anesthetic being injected into a scar that resulted from a back surgery... pretty cool stuff.

#Billable