Anyone regret becoming a dental student/dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN.
I am not sure if there has been a post similar to this. If there was, sorry for the repost. I am an incoming dental student and I was curious if anyone has regretted going to dental school or becoming a dentist after a particular experience/s.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't really heard of any. Only heard of people like (engineers, accountants etc...) that REGRET NOT becoming a dentist.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't regret becoming a dentist. Had I known when I started college nearly 20 years ago what the shape of dentistry would be like, I wouldn't have done it. Between 1993-2008 things were awesome in American and for dentistry. Now, I don't know why any student would want to be a dentist. The massive amount of debt, combined with the oversaturation, and the influx of corporations is a killer. Dentistry isn't that easy or fun of a job. It has only been attractive because of the pay, the schedule flexibility and the autonomy. Unless you are an established dentist (10-15+ years), you will have none of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh I've been jump back and forth with either accounting and dentistry. I chose dentistry afterall becuz in the long run, dentistry is better in terms of many things however other jobs for example like accounting would be an easier route but in the long run it wouldn't be as good as dentistry. Plus why would u want to do more work wen ur older?... I know many dentists that work only 2-4 days making 200k+, going on vacations every month, taking a lot of time off for relaxation etc... U pick :), but I can assure u that if ur a mature thinker, u will not regret going to dental school and becoming a dentist. Like my parents always tell me, if you take the easier way out while ur young, you'll be working twice as hard when ur older and u wouldn't want that :)

I don't regret becoming a dentist. Had I known when I started college nearly 20 years ago what the shape of dentistry would be like, I wouldn't have done it. Between 1993-2008 things were awesome in American and for dentistry. Now, I don't know why any student would want to be a dentist. The massive amount of debt, combined with the oversaturation, and the influx of corporations is a killer. Dentistry isn't that easy or fun of a job. It has only been attractive because of the pay, the schedule flexibility and the autonomy. Unless you are an established dentist (10-15+ years), you will have none of that.

Dont take it personally but over saturation shouldn't be a problem if ur good at wat u do... The best would always be in demand, and the worst would not keep up. Thats how it works with everything

Even if ur not an established dentist, go do a one year residency and buy an established practice and do a good job from there. Dont need to start from scratch :D

Investing in dental school is just like people investing in stocks but with a more reliable outcome. If u dont put in money and time, ur not gonna make any.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if ur not an established dentist, go do a one year residency and buy an established practice and do a good job from there. Dont need to start from scratch :D

Investing in dental school is just like people investing in stocks but with a more reliable outcome. If u dont put in money and time, ur not gonna make any.

Do you honestly think a 17 year old high schooler should be giving career and million dollar investment advice?

57dd6_orig-5df78_orig_cringe.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Do you honestly think a 17 year old high schooler should be giving career and million dollar investment advice?

57dd6_orig-5df78_orig_cringe.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Though, to his credit, the oversaturation argument is a case by case. It really depends on where you want to setup shop. It just so happens that the majority of dentists would like to practice in oversaturated markets.

Dont take it personally but over saturation shouldn't be a problem if ur good at wat u do... The best would always be in demand, and the worst would not keep up. Thats how it works with everything

It's a completely different world in Canada. New dentists up there are still making a great living. Tell me how a new dentist is going to become a great dentist and business person working for a corporation?

It's a completely different world in Canada. New dentists up there are still making a great living. Tell me how a new dentist is going to become a great dentist and business person working for a corporation?

Yea true but like after 4 years or so u can once u pay of some loan and get experience :D

Dont worry, dentistry will go back up for u guys soon so yea like how pharmacy was saturated but now it's getting better. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy is only getting worse...
So are many things tho like finance, accounting, engineering, computer sciences and the list goes on... The least saturated fields are in healthcare so yea

So are many things tho like finance, accounting, engineering, computer sciences and the list goes on... The least saturated fields are in healthcare so yea

That has nothing to do with the fact that you said pharmacy is "getting better" when things are clearly not improving and becoming more saturated every year.

Do you think Canada will be better in the future for dentistry?

It seems that way to me. The amount of crony capitalism in America is reaching staggering levels, which will help the dental chains immensely (it already is). Also Canada is ranked #6 in terms of economic freedom (America has slipped to 12th place). Canada has recently cut its top income tax to 29 percent, while in America its 39.6%. Corporate income tax in Canada is 15% (its 35% in America). Canada also has a sensible immigration policy (and enforces its borders) so it doesn't have tons of illegal and uneducated immigrants that will drain the welfare system. There was big news this week that the middle class of Canada has now overtaken the middle class of America, in terms of wealth. This means people have more to spend, and are more likely to be choosy and willing to go visit the dentist (which favors private solo dentists more than chains) and more likely to buy higher end dental services.

Here's the link that shows countries' economic freedom (America and Canada included): http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Maybe canada is the place to go???? What do you guys think? Any dentists from Canada or anyone who knows, please chime in!

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the fact that you said pharmacy is "getting better" when things are clearly not improving and becoming more saturated every year.

For now it is. If ur good, u will be fine :)

I was thinking the same thing. Though, to his credit, the oversaturation argument is a case by case. It really depends on where you want to setup shop. It just so happens that the majority of dentists would like to practice in oversaturated markets.

Exactly shees. I have common sense unlike many people on here so... Maybe u should listen to me

Now I'm lost because of your reasonings.... I'm a predental and I feel insecure now because of all this non saturated and saturated thing... So should we become dentists or no? LOL

Tbh, I was so scared about the debt that I debated not attending dental school even after gaining multiple acceptances. In the end, I realized that I need to work, and I rather be doing something I love versus some dead end job. Working in the real world helped me come to this decision..

I've done my best and applied to hpsp and other scholarship programs. From here on out, its up to fate. I will of course try to work for IHS or other organizations that offer LRPs. Hopefully everything will work out. I probably won't be rich, but I'll definitely be very comfortable.

I grew up from very humble beginnings so perhaps that's why I'm able to see things in a more positive light?

There is only so many things you can control in your life. I try to be happy with what I have and not what I don't have.

C'est la vie!

Reactions: 4 users

Where do you practice? Now looking in hind sight what career path would you choose? Also what career would you recommend going forward from here? Interested to hear from you, thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
what 90's predents had to look forward to: sweet economy, low student debt, record low number of dental schools, few dentists, rise of cosmetic dentistry spending.

what 2014 predents have to look forward to: recession, exponentially rising student debt, record high number of dental schools, record high of dental school class numbers, midlevel providers are an actual threat, medicare and medicaid compensation haven't adjusted to inflation or increased at all, corporate dentistry has a strong foothold and it's only a matter of time until they break their way into our tradition as independent solo practitioners.

don't deny the existence of the **** that's about to hit the fan

http://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/Escan2013_Diringer_Full.pdf

Last edited:
90's = sweet economy, low student debt, record low number of dental schools, few dentists, rise of cosmetic dentistry spending.
2014 and beyond = recession, exponentially rising student debt, record high number of dental schools, record high of dental school class numbers, midlevel providers are an actual threat, medicare and medicaid compensation haven't adjusted to inflation or increased at all, corporate dentistry has a strong foothold and it's only a matter of time until they break their way into our tradition as independent solo practitioners.

http://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/Escan2013_Diringer_Full.pdf
Wait is this just USA or even Canada?

Wait is this just USA or even Canada?
Bro, there're <1% of people here who are Canadian...it should be obvious to you that almost 99% of the posts are for U.S. dentists and it should probably be an assumption...

Bro, there're <1% of people here who are Canadian...it should be obvious to you that almost 99% of the posts are for U.S. dentists and it should probably be an assumption...
Oops sorry LOL but like hows the Canadian dental trend? Is it gonna turn bad too?

d4l, I love how you seamlessly switch between giving actual dentists unsolicited advice/analysis and asking standard high school pre-dent questions.

Reactions: 7 users
Oops sorry LOL but like hows the Canadian dental trend? Is it gonna turn bad too?
why don't you stop posting and actually look it up. be a big boy. almost none of the responses to your threads are going to be applicable to you as a canadian.

What percentage of dentists work for corporations? I will also add that many of these are being shut down and heavily scrutinized for their aggressive practices.

I think this thread is a breeding ground for pessimists and naysayers. Sure things might not be as good as they were at some point in dentistry's history, but the fact is the economy is cyclical and every profession has hit a downturn. Relative to other fields, I still say dentistry is great. This is especially true relative to pharm, engineering, law, most business school grads, etc. If you always compare things to what they used to be, you will be perpetually disappointed. Try and see things for what you can make of them. If you can be a good business person with some people skills and a splash of self motivation, you will do very well in dentistry. Just my $0.02

Reactions: 10 users
Where do you practice? Now looking in hind sight what career path would you choose? Also what career would you recommend going forward from here? Interested to hear from you, thanks!
Florida, which is part of the problem. I haven't really spent much time thinking about what I would have done instead. I probably wouldn't have gone to school. Just learn computers, programming, etc, then work for Google , Yahoo or Facebook. I enjoy my job, I would just rather have a consistent income.

what 90's predents had to look forward to: sweet economy, low student debt, record low number of dental schools, few dentists, rise of cosmetic dentistry spending.

what 2014 predents have to look forward to: recession, exponentially rising student debt, record high number of dental schools, record high of dental school class numbers, midlevel providers are an actual threat, medicare and medicaid compensation haven't adjusted to inflation or increased at all, corporate dentistry has a strong foothold and it's only a matter of time until they break their way into our tradition as independent solo practitioners.

Sure, it will suck for predents now. You'll probably be 20-25 years away from making any real money, however, dental graduates in the 1970's saw the same dynamics. The ones who stuck it out had fantastic careers 20-30 years later that made it all worth it. It was a supply/demand thing. Dentistry sucked in the 1970's so people didn't go to dental school. 20 years later there were low number of dentist, better technology and the those dentist did well. Same situation here. Fewer and fewer people will go to dental school, schools will close and 20-30 years from now you'll be in a golden era of dentistry again.

Reactions: 3 users
Sure, it will suck for predents now. You'll probably be 20-25 years away from making any real money, however, dental graduates in the 1970's saw the same dynamics. The ones who stuck it out had fantastic careers 20-30 years later that made it all worth it. It was a supply/demand thing. Dentistry sucked in the 1970's so people didn't go to dental school. 20 years later there were low number of dentist, better technology and the those dentist did well. Same situation here. Fewer and fewer people will go to dental school, schools will close and 20-30 years from now you'll be in a golden era of dentistry again.
I noticed above you mentioned things are different in Canada. You said, "New dentists up there are still making a great living".
From your knowledge, how is the situation of dentistry in Canada. Is is it a little bit better than the U.S?

All I know is that even with today's conditions in dentistry, it's better than the dead-end "Office Space" cubicle job I had before I got into dental school. The daily grind through the hell of dental school still has me never looking back at where I was before this. As @Bereno said, comparing things to how they used to be is a glass half empty approach that will always leave you dissatisfied. Stay positive in your lives even when faced with conditions that seem daunting.

Oh, and keep your student debt loads to a minimum and don't live the lifestyle of a doctor right away because you think you're entitled to, haha.

Reactions: 8 users
All I know is that even with today's conditions in dentistry, it's better than the dead-end "Office Space" cubicle job I had before I got into dental school. The daily grind through the hell of dental school still has me never looking back at where I was before this. As @Bereno said, comparing things to how they used to be is a glass half empty approach that will always leave you dissatisfied. Stay positive in your lives even when faced with conditions that seem daunting.

Oh, and keep your student debt loads to a minimum and don't live the lifestyle of a doctor right away because you think you're entitled to, haha.

I didn't know you got accepted into buffalo. Congrats! how do you like it?

I noticed above you mentioned things are different in Canada. You said, "New dentists up there are still making a great living".
From your knowledge, how is the situation of dentistry in Canada. Is is it a little bit better than the U.S?

From what I read on dentaltown it is. However, once word gets out that there is a place where lots of money can be made, everyone rushes there. Texas is having this issue. In Canada, you have to brave the cold but cold is better than hungry.

From what I read on dentaltown it is. However, once word gets out that there is a place where lots of money can be made, everyone rushes there. Texas is having this issue. In Canada, you have to brave the cold but cold is better than hungry.
Thanks for the reply. It's funny cause when I'd been reading about how good Texas was when I was a first yr pre-dent, I already knew that by the time I graduated D-school, I would be too late to the party to practice in texas. But fortunately other parts of the south are picking up economically. I think we can all safely assume that California is the cesspit (from an economic standpoint and from a dental standpoint).

Thanks for the reply. It's funny cause when I'd been reading about how good Texas was when I was a first yr pre-dent, I already knew that by the time I graduated D-school, I would be too late to the party to practice in texas. But fortunately other parts of the south are picking up economically. I think we can all safely assume that California is the cesspit (from an economic standpoint and from a dental standpoint).

TX is getting an influx of dentists from out of state but I think the conditions will hold up for a while. You just have to use common sense--don't practice in the heart of the metro parts of big cities, look for areas that are heavily residential and with a good pop to doc ratio, etc. many people just want to march into an area with many dentists already (CA and NYC being the worst examples) and expect to do well ignoring the fundamental effects of supply and demand--that will almost certainly lead to failure (and no, being 'good' does not necessarily mean you can negate the saturation). I just bought an office about 50 min away from downtown metro that is surrounded by residential districts (mostly houses and not apts, so it's people who will be here long-term), has a doc to pop ratio of 9000:1. I live in the metro and just drive out to work. I feel that this is a favorable setup and there would be no way in hell I would have bought an office downtown and have the same confidence.

The good thing about TX is that it's economy is strong. Oil and gas creates a lot of jobs and ExxonMobil is just about to move its World HQ to about 3 mi away from my office with tens of thousands of employees and their families. There is no state income tax precisely because of this strong economy. Sales tax and cost of living is low as well.

Then again, none of this matters to 90% here of the dentists (present and future) who just want to be in NY or CA like moths to a flame. I certainly don't mind in their helping to keep this a secret.:laugh:

In my view, dentaltown is full of immature whinies. Yes, dentistry is tough work both physically and mentally, but it is also the one who got them the nice houses, cars, and bank accounts. There is a plethora of jobs out there who can do worse--a lot worse. So a lot of them should grow a pair, let them drop, and be a real man about it. Firm is right about the trend--at the current rate, pretty soon the costs/benefit of being a dentist will be outweighed to the former, but for the ones who are already in it or can do so cheaply (comparatively) at state schools, enjoy the ride. Work hard, use common sense about where you will work, and you will do well. On, and don't work for bloodsucking corporations--you will be treated like **** and you will never realize more than 1/3 of your ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Plus why would u want to do more work wen ur older?... I know many dentists that work only 2-4 days making 200k+, going on vacations every month, taking a lot of time off for relaxation etc... U pick :), but I can assure u that if ur a mature thinker, u will not regret going to dental school and becoming a dentist. Like my parents always tell me, if you take the easier way out while ur young, you'll be working twice as hard when ur older and u wouldn't want that :)

I think to say dentistry is a stable profession is fine. I don't think it is safe to assume the later parts of your career will be as you just described them.
You'll probably work hard the entire way through.

I do agree that dentistry will probably continue to be viable (six-figure income, not necessarily $200k+ inflation adjusted dollars). Like was said before, we can probably safely assume the economy will weaken and improve cyclically over time. Plus, corporate proliferation, insurance-driven income suppression, and mid-level competition all seem like slow-acting forces. Only a crash in demand would be "problematic"; an effective OTC caries prevention medication put in a dentifrice would be the most likely cause.

Mostly I'm just saying your picture is a bit rosy because you seem to be saying as long as you're "good" you'll be fine (fine meaning a standard of living that you've seen being enjoyed by the dentists you've met). Sure, but a lot of very capable people will be your competition - you must be notably better, not just good.

Just don't become a tooth-fixing guy because you want to see $200K on a 2-4 day work week at 45 years of age. You might be disappointed.

Good luck bud.

I think to say dentistry is a stable profession is fine. I don't think it is safe to assume the later parts of your career will be as you just described them.
You'll probably work hard the entire way through.

I do agree that dentistry will probably continue to be viable (six-figure income, not necessarily $200k+ inflation adjusted dollars). Like was said before, we can probably safely assume the economy will weaken and improve cyclically over time. Plus, corporate proliferation, insurance-driven income suppression, and mid-level competition all seem like slow-acting forces. Only a crash in demand would be "problematic"; an effective OTC caries prevention medication put in a dentifrice would be the most likely cause.

Mostly I'm just saying your picture is a bit rosy because you seem to be saying as long as you're "good" you'll be fine (fine meaning a standard of living that you've seen being enjoyed by the dentists you've met). Sure, but a lot of very capable people will be your competition - you must be notably better, not just good.

Just don't become a tooth-fixing guy because you want to see $200K on a 2-4 day work week at 45 years of age. You might be disappointed.

Good luck bud.
Sorry i meant in canada u would prob see that kind of money and when the economy is up again in the states but ofc if u suck, u make nothing so yea...

Florida, which is part of the problem. I haven't really spent much time thinking about what I would have done instead. I probably wouldn't have gone to school. Just learn computers, programming, etc, then work for Google , Yahoo or Facebook. I enjoy my job, I would just rather have a consistent income.

I know two people that work for Google - both have graduate applied mathematics degrees. I have heard it's equally, if not more, competitive at Facebook. Don't know anything about Yahoo!. The world is competitive, bro.

I know two people that work for Google - both have graduate applied mathematics degrees. I have heard it's equally, if not more, competitive at Facebook. Don't know anything about Yahoo!. The world is competitive, bro.

Like I said before many times, you gotta work in other fields first to appreciate dentistry. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a programmer given how many of them there are and the market out there.

Reactions: 1 users
TX is getting an influx of dentists from out of state but I think the conditions will hold up for a while. You just have to use common sense--don't practice in the heart of the metro parts of big cities, look for areas that are heavily residential and with a good pop to doc ratio, etc. many people just want to march into an area with many dentists already (CA and NYC being the worst examples) and expect to do well ignoring the fundamental effects of supply and demand--that will almost certainly lead to failure (and no, being 'good' does not necessarily mean you can negate the saturation). I just bought an office about 50 min away from downtown metro that is surrounded by residential districts (mostly houses and not apts, so it's people who will be here long-term), has a doc to pop ratio of 9000:1. I live in the metro and just drive out to work. I feel that this is a favorable setup and there would be no way in hell I would have bought an office downtown and have the same confidence.

The good thing about TX is that it's economy is strong. Oil and gas creates a lot of jobs and ExxonMobil is just about to move its World HQ to about 3 mi away from my office with tens of thousands of employees and their families. There is no state income tax precisely because of this strong economy. Sales tax and cost of living is low as well.

Then again, none of this matters to 90% here of the dentists (present and future) who just want to be in NY or CA like moths to a flame. I certainly don't mind in their helping to keep this a secret.:laugh:

In my view, dentaltown is full of immature whinies. Yes, dentistry is tough work both physically and mentally, but it is also the one who got them the nice houses, cars, and bank accounts. There is a plethora of jobs out there who can do worse--a lot worse. So a lot of them should grow a pair, let them drop, and be a real man about it. Firm is right about the trend--at the current rate, pretty soon the costs/benefit of being a dentist will be outweighed to the former, but for the ones who are already in it or can do so cheaply (comparatively) at state schools, enjoy the ride. Work hard, use common sense about where you will work, and you will do well. On, and don't work for bloodsucking corporations--you will be treated like **** and you will never realize more than 1/3 of your ceiling.

This is the new attitude dentists must adopt if they want to succeed. Everybody can't have a cosmetic practice in Boca Raton or Beverly Hills and charge $1,500 for a buccal pit restoration. Practices will have to move to where the patients are. Quality of life is still in the minds of most, but to have it you will have to make compromises. There are decent places, off the beaten-path, that have populations that can support a nice solo practice. Yes, you can start with one chair, if that's all you can do, for now. Used equipment in a location that's not going to break the bank and no "rap star entourage" of employees is where you start. There are tricks (ethical), tips and methods you can use to get out of debt and live decently while you do it. It just won't be in NYC.

I didn't know you got accepted into buffalo. Congrats! how do you like it?

It's good. Getting worked into the ground, but first year is almost done. Man, did that fly by.

It's good. Getting worked into the ground, but first year is almost done. Man, did that fly by.

Thats great to hear. It always goes by fast, and so will the next three years. All you have to do is enjoy the ride. I hope to apply to buffalo this cycle (ny resident). If i get in, any classes you recommend before matriculation? I do have a gap year and wouldn't mind taking an extra semester, as long as its not spring :hungover:

Like I said before many times, you gotta work in other fields first to appreciate dentistry. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a programmer given how many of them there are and the market out there.
I was a programmer before dentistry and that is one of the main reasons why I switched my career. I am happy so far.