Anyone run into a resident who DIDN'T rank their program #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joekayone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering about this. Every single resident I talked to on the interview trail claimed that they ranked that program #1. I just find that hard to believe. Did you run into anybody who admitted it wasn't their first choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, one resident at Hopkins admitted it was her third choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran into a chief resident who actually told me that the school he ended up at was towards the bottom of his list, and how he was initally quite disappointed after match day.

I was just wondering about this. Every single resident I talked to on the interview trail claimed that they ranked that program #1. I just find that hard to believe. Did you run into anybody who admitted it wasn't their first choice?
Interesting that you brought this up...I got the same impression too, and I'm always suspicious when residents make their program sound like it's too good to be true...when asking about any weaknesses in the program, they are always quite reluctant to disclose any, like it's none of my business :rolleyes:

I hope I match in my #1 so I can tell future candidates the truth, "Yes, it's my number 1."

I am aware of someone at JHU who ranked Penn above them.

I, quite honestly, will be totally content matching at any of my top 4. In fact, now that rank lists are final and I am thinking about things, I am almost hoping that I get my #3 (because of location). I had a terrible time presubmission trying to figure out the order of my top 4, so where i'd like to end up most kind of changes depending on my mood for the day :rolleyes:.

Anyone else wishing for their #2 or 3 now that you're evaluating your list in hindsight?

I'm just loooking at it as my top 4 were tied for #1, but stupid NRMP wouldn't let me indicate that... this way I cant really be disappointed :D (unless I get my #10).

Anyone else wishing for their #2 or 3 now that you're evaluating your list in hindsight?

I'm just loooking at it as my top 4 were tied for #1

YES!!!! LOL! I was just thinking today that maybe I should have put my #3 first. I'm in the same boat, any of my top 4 could have been #1 and it varied depending on my mood that day as well (and my wife's :laugh:). To be honest, I'd be happy at any of the places I ranked...

I am aware of someone at JHU who ranked Penn above them.

I, quite honestly, will be totally content matching at any of my top 4. In fact, now that rank lists are final and I am thinking about things, I am almost hoping that I get my #3 (because of location). I had a terrible time presubmission trying to figure out the order of my top 4, so where i'd like to end up most kind of changes depending on my mood for the day :rolleyes:.

I'm just loooking at it as my top 4 were tied for #1, but stupid NRMP wouldn't let me indicate that... this way I cant really be disappointed :D (unless I get my #10).

Oh, so I'm not the only one! I've actually been thinking about it more, and I'd really prefer one of my other top 4 instead of my #1. I had the worst time trying to figure out how I was going to rank things. I just couldn't find the right mix, there were some incredible programs but I was like can I really stay in those cities for the next four years? And then there were some incredible cities but I could tell their programs weren't nearly as good as some of the other places I had been. And yeah, so now I'm so hoping my number 1 didn't like me much, crazy stuff.

I submitted my ROL prior to my spouse going on a job interview in city #2 and just after he had an interview in city #1. After he came back from the interview in city #2 and was much more excited about that job opportunity than the one in city #1, we were VERY hopeful I would NOT match at my first choice program. Fortunately, I matched at program #2 and we've been very happy in our respective jobs since that time.

MBK2003

I submitted my ROL prior to my spouse going on a job interview in city #2 and just after he had an interview in city #1. After he came back from the interview in city #2 and was much more excited about that job opportunity than the one in city #1, we were VERY hopeful I would NOT match at my first choice program. Fortunately, I matched at program #2 and we've been very happy in our respective jobs since that time.

MBK2003

thanks mbk, that's what i'm hoping for now.

I hope all of you are around 11 months from now so you can remind next year's anxious MS4s that all the kvetching about how prestigious a program is, or what the PD did or didn't mean when they did/didn't email, really doesn't matter NEARLY as much in the end as your subjective sense of happiness with the program.

Good luck to you all--I want happy young colleagues!

Rated my current program as #2.

Would've made it #1, only reasons why I didn't was my program was a 3 hr commute from my wife and the #1 program was THE highest paying psychiatry residency program in the country, and it had a decent rep.

I might've had no chance in the #1 program. During my interview with the program director, my cell phone rang and I could tell he was ticked off with that.

I ran into a resident that was totally bitter about ending up at his program. It was far from his first choice. Not even a state he imagined ending up in. YIKES. I also asked a girl at a program in Ohio if she would pick her program again- her response was "im glad to be working and paying back my loans." I took it as a good sign they were honest- then ran the other direction.

I ran into a resident that was totally bitter about ending up at his program. It was far from his first choice. Not even a state he imagined ending up in. YIKES. I also asked a girl at a program in Ohio if she would pick her program again- her response was "im glad to be working and paying back my loans." I took it as a good sign they were honest- then ran the other direction.

are you trying to create wide spread panic in those of us who await the answers to the match in a week and a half?!!??

Didnt think about that- just responding to the post. No wide-spread panic intended. :laugh: We're all going to do wonderfully Im sure.

From this post, I would say then not to rank a program you don't want to go, this way you won't go where you don't want to be. If you rank 10 programs, be sure that you will be satisfied whether you get into #1 or #10.

Just my $.02 since I'm still a premed (with interest in Psych).

Krisss17