Anyone still shell-shocked from Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any other newly minted 3rd years find themselves struggling to study for shelf exams? Apparently step 1 left me with no motivation to sit down and study....uggggggh.

Members don't see this ad.

felipe5 said:
Do any other newly minted 3rd years find themselves struggling to study for shelf exams? Apparently step 1 left me with no motivation to sit down and study....uggggggh.

No kidding. I can read about my patients, and I can do practice problems out of pre-test, but other than that? forget about it.

Its not so much being tired from post step 1 thats getting me but working 12-13 hours a day and then reading about my patients or putting together a presentation thats keeping me from studying. The most I've managed before falling asleep is 1 hour of first aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
erin682 said:
Its not so much being tired from post step 1 thats getting me but working 12-13 hours a day and then reading about my patients or putting together a presentation thats keeping me from studying. The most I've managed before falling asleep is 1 hour of first aid.
that sucks erin, i've had more time with my peds rotation but i only had 2 days off from having taken step 1 to starting peds so i'm toasted. what rotation are you on now?

erin682 said:

That's why I stressed having that schedule - to force you to study. I know it's tough, but you'll get through it.

Arsenic said:
that sucks erin, i've had more time with my peds rotation but i only had 2 days off from having taken step 1 to starting peds so i'm toasted. what rotation are you on now?

Yeah, I'm on medicine so its pretty much what I expected as far as hours I just didn't plan on being so exhausted at the end of every day. I learn a lot while I'm working but being on an infectious disease service at the moment I haven't seen a ton of general medicine type stuff. I know I'll get through it, I actually am enjoying the work, I just don't know how well I'll do on the shelf.

Thats sucks only having 2 days off. I had 2 weeks which is probably why I'm not fried. We apparently had some testing center issues here and some folks in my class got screwed and couldn't take their tests when they were signed up to. One girl finished step 1 16 hours before rotations started (and was still hungover) and another wasn't able to take it until the first Friday after rotations started. I felt so bad for them.

Definitely still feeling shell shocked from COMLEX and USMLE. I havent gotten either score back but they felt bad ( hoping I passed). USMLE should be coming any day now and COMLEX is so backed up we won't see them until late September or October! I did very well in classes especially second year but the boards felt demoralizing.
I start off with a surgery rotation and I'm hoping that will keep my busy and my mind occupied.

I did pretty well on my Step 1, but im still having nightmares about failing it...and have yet to do **** for my IM clerkship that I am 3 weeks in to!

oh wow! I got censored! I typed in the s-word and it came out ****

At least you guys are done with Step 1 and get to do fun stuff! Im gonna have a loooong, painful year :scared:

prazmatic said:
At least you guys are done with Step 1 and get to do fun stuff! Im gonna have a loooong, painful year :scared:

Fun Stuff?

I'd rather restudy for Step 1 than go through the trials of 3rd year.

p53 said:
Fun Stuff?

I'd rather restudy for Step 1 than go through the trials of 3rd year.
You must be on drugs. I wouldn't wish those 3 months on anybody, let alone go thru that crap again. What I'm doing now, is definitely "fun stuff" compared to studying for hours on end for a test that I didn't even do that hot on. Sure it's really not fun, but the change in pace is definetly worth it. Plus I feel like a "mini" doctor.

And to the OP, I just started studying for IM at the 5 week mark. Figured it's about time I stopped veggying out in front of the TV every evening and read up on some cases. I think your brain just needs a long overdue rest and then the motivation comes creeping back in slowly but surely. You gotta keep passing your tests, even if it is barely.

I'm seriously tired of IM. One more week!

chocomorsel said:
You must be on drugs. I wouldn't wish those 3 months on anybody, let alone go thru that crap again. What I'm doing now, is definitely "fun stuff" compared to studying for hours on end for a test that I didn't even do that hot on. Sure it's really not fun, but the change in pace is definetly worth it. Plus I feel like a "mini" doctor.

Get back to us in ONE year okay. Don't mean to sound cocky but how can you compare the two if you are a freshly minted 3rd year?

The "Crap" is just beginning for you.

p53 said:
Get back to us in ONE year okay. Don't mean to sound cocky but how can you compare the two if you are a freshly minted 3rd year?

The "Crap" is just beginning for you.

You notice how fast you've gotten into the "how can you know, I'm a year senior" thing? That was always one of the things that pissed me off about the clinics. You'll sit there listening to your resident go on and on about how hard life is for her, but you don't get to say anything, because she's been where you are and you've never been where she is.

In any case, some people like their books, and other people, in spite of all the annoyances of clinical medicine, like being in the hospital. I wouldn't trade my roughest post-call day for the best preclinical day.

Anka