Anyone taken a Critical Thinking class?

Started by Twitch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Twitch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
 
Y_Marker said:
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:
 
Non-TradTulsa said:
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
 
I took it the class it seemed like it would be interesting but it was actually boring as could be and i found it to be a waste of time
 
I agree with flopotomist, also, if you have the opportunity to take symbolic logic and you like algebra, do it. I loved it.
 
Flopotomist said:
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
At my undergrad school, the class entitled "Critical Thinking" was actually all symbolic logic. I recommend it, too.
 
Y_Marker said:
Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
Ummm... I took it in 1980, so probably not <g>. I would guess that a literature course would help you as much as anything on MCAT verbal. I think I'm like a lot of MCAT takers... nearly all of my training has been technical or scientific - my Master's degree is actually in taxation and tax involves very precise critical (albeit *technical*) reading skills. It's the "soft" social science or humanities-type passages on MCAT verbal that invariably left me scratching my head. A broader liberal-arts education might have been handier for MCAT verbal than the focused professional education I had. Flop, I didn't know you could take "Critical Thinking" as a separate course! Mine was "Logic and Critical Thinking" - we did the argument dissection as well as symbolic logic. Kept me busy...