Anyone taking the MCAT on 8/16/2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimingforthat45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone else taking the MCAT on august 16, 2012 at 1 pm? (Thursday). I know there are lots of people taking the 8/17/2012, but i was wondering if anyone was also taking the august 16th one as well.

-cheers

Members don't see this ad.

34R (PS 11, VR 10, BS 13)

AAMC average: About 11s in each section, ranged from 32 to 36, 34 average

Composite score hit my AAMC average spot on. I also felt I had scored about a 34 immediately post-test.

Thank you generous bio curve.

Congrats to everyone who scored what they wanted! Best of luck to anyone retaking!

Well so much for having a terrible VR score to absolutely butcher great PS and BS scores. I've never scored so low in VR on practice tests, yet I know I talked myself out of a lot of answers that were probably correct and I also had only 5 minutes to work on the last two passages. I was SO close to voiding because of VR and now I wish I would have.

My overall score isn't despicable so I'm not going to withdraw my apps or anything, but I'm definitely mentally preparing myself for a retake, as I'm well aware than an unbalanced sub-30 score won't be looked at too favorably.

View attachment MCAT score.png

AAMC average ~36 I think, using the old, longer versions of the FLs.

- Horrible at physics, so I'm pleasantly surprised by my score. The chemistry must have brought it up.
- Disappointed in my biology, though - I hit 15 during practice tests and hoped I could do the same on the actual thing, especially since it seemed so similar to AAMC 11. Plus I was expecting a nice lil' curve. No luck it seems.
- So happy with verbal! Felt great while doing it.

I really expected the breakdown to be more along the lines of 11/11/14, but I'm not complaining. Most likely will not re-write. Yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
August 16th - 30 O (10, 10, 10)

AAMC AVG - approx. 31.4 (10-11 Physical, 9-11 Verbal, 10 - 13 Biological)

Somewhat disappointed, but not surprised. Needed a strong Bio section in order to hit my target score of 33 (and I knew that wasn't the case walking out of that exam).

PS: 13 -Thought this section was much easier than practice AAMC's, a couple of them did trip me up though.
VR: 10 -Always got below a 10 on this section with the AAMC's, very very very surprised I came out with this score.
BS: 10 -Much tougher than the AAMC's, was pretty worried about it but came out ok.
Writing: Q -Did like 2 practice essays, I am terrible at writing.

I was really worried about my score but in the end it all worked out. Glad to get this over with and can now enjoy next summer.

I wish to be in your shoes. How did you feel coming out of the VR for the actual test?

Gots myself a 10PS, 11VR, Q, 11BS = 32Q
I am pretty happy with the score. My biggest fear was that I had tanked the VR. I felt completely rushed and almost seemed like educated guesses on most questions. Not quite sure how I pulled out an 11.
On the other hand I thought my PS would be better. Felt relatively easy and expected a 11 or 12.
Go figure, the easiest section = lowest score. You just never know with the mcat

I would like to dedicate this post to all those who are unhappy with their score on this thread. I was in your shoes on July 3.

Kaplan avg.(1-9): (34.55)

AAMC avg (3-11) (34.125)

5/31 MCAT: 29P (VR/PS/BS = 7/10/12)

8/16 MCAT: 36M (VR/PS/BS = 9/12/15)

I was about ready to throw in the towel on my med schooI dreams, what a good day :D As others have said, you can't trust your post-test feelings: I thought that I got 14-15 on PS and 11-13 on BS. As for VR, I used the full 5 minutes to decide whether I should void based solely on that section. I thought there was no way that I did better on this section than my 5/31 exam.
As for the writing score, :laugh:. The only semi-annoying thing: pretty lopsided, would have much rather taken the total score with a 12/12/12.
Anyway, to all those who need to retake: let it show that I increased my score by 7 points in 2-and-a-half months. If you scored more than 3 points below your average, then retake this sucker and get the score that you know you're capable of! Don't get down on yourself. You can do it.

I would like to dedicate this post to all those who are unhappy with their score on this thread. I was in your shoes on July 3.

Kaplan avg.(1-9): (34.55)

AAMC avg (3-11) (34.125)

5/31 MCAT: 29P (VR/PS/BS = 7/10/12)

8/16 MCAT: 36M (VR/PS/BS = 9/12/15)

I was about ready to throw in the towel on my med schooI dreams, what a good day :D As others have said, you can't trust your post-test feelings: I thought that I got 14-15 on PS and 11-13 on BS. As for VR, I used the full 5 minutes to decide whether I should void based solely on that section. I thought there was no way that I did better on this section than my 5/31 exam.
As for the writing score, :laugh:. The only semi-annoying thing: pretty lopsided, would have much rather taken the total score with a 12/12/12.
Anyway, to all those who need to retake: let it show that I increased my score by 7 points in 2-and-a-half months. If you scored more than 3 points below your average, then retake this sucker and get the score that you know you're capable of! Don't get down on yourself. You can do it.

I did exactly this because my AAMC average was 27 and my actual MCAT was 22 on the 7/6 exam (extremely bummed out). I come on the SDN forms to find that so many people did horribly on this exam, especially verbal. Thus I decided to try again because I felt it was not a fair predictor of my AAMC averages. I hope I have better luck with the 9/7 exam (which I though was easier).

Congrats on your good score!

AAMC Average: 28
-PS: always 10 or 11
-VS: always 7 or 8
-BS: always 10 or 11

AAMC 11: 31 (PS: 13, VS: 7, BS: 11)

TPR Average: 25
- God, so much inconsistency I cant even tell you

Actual MCAT: 32O
-PS: 13
-VS: 9
-BS: 10

Okay first off I really want to emphasize this: I am not one of those super smart people who come on SDN to brag about being disappointed by getting a 32. I worked REALLY hard all summer and hit 30+ only on AAMC 11 which was two days before my test. So to get a 30+ you have to be smart but you also just need to work really hard, as you can see those TPRs were REALLY killing me. I just made sure to stay confident in myself, ESPECIALLY throughout the actual MCAT. Whoever is waiting on scores, I honestly think there is no way to really know so stop freaking out (like I did) and just relax! Good luck to everyone who is working hard studying!

STUDY METHOD: I took all my TPR tests and all the AAMC's after studying the material strictly for a month and half, so that was 19 tests. Then I did the Examcracker Verbal Book

INSIGHT ON OUR TEST:
- Physical science was super easy, like I left that section feeling great. But when I started reading on SDN about it, I was expecting not to get that high because the curve might be unforgiving..guess not

- Verbal: I was actually very sure I was going to get a 7, for the first half of the summer I was getting 9's and then randomly started getting 7's (I didn't change my strategy or anything). I think it was because I was getting burnt out so I took a little break. During the test though, OMG. One of the beginning passages was a killer and it really messed up my timing along with having the passages being novel-length. I honestly left this section so confused, It was just a big blur and like everyone was saying I felt like I guessed on everything. I'm REALLY happy with a 9.

- Bio: Weird because it was always my easiest section and I would ALWAYS finish with 30 minutes extra on practice test. I come into the section, and just got blown away. All the Orgo passages were relatively simple, and I love Orgo so THANK THE LORD, but those bio passages were really really really hard-especially the last two. TIP TO ANYONE STUDYING: Try finding experimental passages to study, I think TBR has a lot of those. I thought the curve would be more lenient, but 10 is still fine.

ALL IN ALL, STAY CONFIDENT. If you studied your butt off and are an intelligent person, you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC average-25

5/31 MCAT-25P (7PS 8VR 10BS)-Ran out of time on PS

8/16 MCAT-30O (12PS 8VR 10BS)
I'm happy with this score considering I thought I bombed the test. I believe it's enough to get into the school I am trying to go to.

For those that did not do as well as they wanted to, don't give up. Everything will fall into place sooner or later with hard work and dedication.

35Q :D

Breakdown:
12 PS -- Was averaging around a 10, thought it was really hard and walked away hoping I got a 9. Went on SDN and decided I probably got a 7. Surprised and beyond happy about this score.
11 VR -- Kinda disappointed because I never got below a 13 on aamcs but can't complain really. Could tell during the test that I was losing focus thinking about how hard PS was...
12 BS -- My goal for this section and my prediction post-test.

I'm so relieved and pleased, it's a huge weight off my shoulders and I really needed to make up for my low gpa. Great job to everyone who reached their goals and if not, keep truckin'!

35Q :D

Breakdown:
12 PS -- Was averaging around a 10, thought it was really hard and walked away hoping I got a 9. Went on SDN and decided I probably got a 7. Surprised and beyond happy about this score.
11 VR -- Kinda disappointed because I never got below a 13 on aamcs but can't complain really. Could tell during the test that I was losing focus thinking about how hard PS was...
12 BS -- My goal for this section and my prediction post-test.

I'm so relieved and pleased, it's a huge weight off my shoulders and I really needed to make up for my low gpa. Great job to everyone who reached their goals and if not, keep truckin'!

Nicely balanced score!