Anyone took prereqs at CC and did WELL on the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking that I will be incompetent of scoring high on the DAT because I will finish all of my prerequisites at a community college.

Members don't see this ad.

I know plenty of people took pre-reqs at CC and did well on DAT. :)
It primarily depends on you, doesn't matter where you take your pre-reqs at. :cool:
Example: 1 scored 25 and the other scored 23 (AA). Both got into UCSF graduated in 2001. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no correlation between where you took your pre-reqs vs how well you did on the DAT.

You gotta remember, many pre-dents take the DAT 1-2 years after they took the pre-reqs.... Meaning most of that stuff was forgotten and needs to be re-learned. This is where your work ethic comes into play, if you study hard and right, you will score well IRRESPECTIVE of where you took your pre-reqs.

Besides, are you implying that CC classes are a fluff compared to college level courses? Cause I can assure you, thats not the case....you might get some people upset

I took just the general bio sequence at a CC (cheaper summer school).

ended up getting a 22 in bio. there really is no correlation.

There is no correlation between where you took your pre-reqs vs how well you did on the DAT.

You gotta remember, many pre-dents take the DAT 1-2 years after they took the pre-reqs.... Meaning most of that stuff was forgotten and needs to be re-learned. This is where your work ethic comes into play, if you study hard and right, you will score well IRRESPECTIVE of where you took your pre-reqs.

Besides, are you implying that CC classes are a fluff compared to college level courses? Cause I can assure you, thats not the case....you might get some people upset

Not at all I am a CC student myself and I heard so many people bash students who completed their prerequisites at CC.
My teacher who used to teach at a 4 year university and now is teaching at my community college also says that the difficulty are very similar. Some even harder at CC

It really depends on the person as well as the CC. My CC was big in the Sciences, and the had really amazing faculty teaching. I thought my science education at my CC was actually better than what I got after I transferred to a UC - as very often, big research schools make researchers teach, and many researchers can't teach their way out of paper bags.

I have taken my pre-reqs at a CC and they are very challenging. It's not like one school is going to change the Kreb's cycle. It depends on how much you decide to take away from these classes. My Bio class at a 4 year school was fairly easy. There really is no clear cut line. I think it is important to really take everything in during your pre-reqs because it will come up again. That is the only thing I would have focused on stronger.

I took my prerequisites at a university, but I don't think it should matter whether you take classes at a CC or 4 yr institution, as long as the you can get what you need out of the class to succeed on the DAT. That being said...make sure you check with the schools that you are planning to apply to ensure that it doesn't make a difference to them. Unfortunately, there is a bias out there.

I took all the subjects on the DAT at my two-year college except for biology. I took AP biology my Junior year of high school. I got a 24 AA on the DAT.

This is my second semester at the 4-year research-focused university. In my opinion, it is more difficult to get the same quality education at my 4-year research institution because of class sizes, professor availability, and as mentioned above, researchers do not always make the best of professors. For example, my physics professor helped develop the Hadron Collider. He might be the worst professor I've had to date. That's not to say that the rest of them are bad. I've had some really good professors there too!

That said, your DAT score very much depends on how much you are willing to put into it. I studied for two months averaging about eight hours a day. I took one month reviewing and one month working on retention. Worth it? HECK YES. Easy? GOD NO.

Good luck!

I took my Bio, Physics, Gen and Orgo Chemistry at a CC and felt the education was as good as if I would have taken the classes at a University. The only difference I saw was the Universities had better labs and more dissections. Although the level of education was the same, if I had to do it all over again I would have chosen a 4 year institution from the get go because some D-schools frown on CC credits. DAT: Orgo 30, GC 23, Bio 24.

I took my Bio, Physics, Gen and Orgo Chemistry at a CC and felt the education was as good as if I would have taken the classes at a University. The only difference I saw was the Universities had better labs and more dissections. Although the level of education was the same, if I had to do it all over again I would have chosen a 4 year institution from the get go because some D-schools frown on CC credits. DAT: Orgo 30, GC 23, Bio 24.

Dj ileum, what courses did you take at your university? And if it's ok with you, what schools did you get accepted to? I am in a dilemma where I took many pre-req courses at my university and didn't do so well in them, so the counselor recommended I stop taking them, complete my art history degree, and enroll myself into a post-bacc program. However, post-baccs can become extremely expensive so I was thinking about retaking my pre-reqs at my local junior college after graduation.

I am nervous about taking the pre-reqs at a CC because of all the stigma that is out there about taking courses at the CCs. However, I heard people who took all of their courses at their community college and made it into dental schools (apart from those that don't accept CC credit).

Anyway, any advice would be great because I am trying to figure out if I should do a formal post-bacc or take them at community college. Thanks!

Anyway, any advice would be great because I am trying to figure out if I should do a formal post-bacc or take them at community college. Thanks!

ASNA,
I think his advice is right there on his DAT scores.

An application with 18 DAT vs a CC application with Orgo 30, GC 23, Bio 24? Which one would you rather interview if you can only interview one?