Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

depressoexpresso

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in third year (fourth in September). There are alot of mandatory courses for my program and I have clinical placements scheduled for the entire fourth year, so I haven't filled all the prereqs yet. I'm missing two prereqs, and I'm considering taking them during the summer of 2024 (May-Aug). My goal is to apply this cycle and attend dental school the following year. Is it ok to complete my pre-requisite courses at the last minute instead of during the regular academic year?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools won’t let you take prereqs the summer before dental school because if you don’t pass them…then your acceptance will be rescinded and they have to scramble to find someone to fill the seat. I would try to find a way to either take them during this coming summer, during your breaks, online, or at another university. You may have to pack on your course load if you can’t do this or apply to schools that don’t require the prerequisite.

I didn’t take Anatomy Or microbiology so I didn’t apply to schools that required it. It limits you somewhat but not a whole lot. You really just need calculus/stats, physics, gen Chem and Ochem, biochemistry, English and writing, and biology courses +lab for sciences (except Biochem)

What prereqs haven’t you taken?

I'm missing two prereqs, and I'm considering taking them during the summer of 2024 (May-Aug). My goal is to apply this cycle and attend dental school the following year. Is it ok to complete my pre-requisite courses at the last minute instead of during the regular academic year?
You are best served not rushing. If you must delay your application cycle to complete your prerequisites, do it. The last thing you want to do is submit a really sloppy application with obvious deficiencies. It won't give your faculty a great impression of you since they think you would be the type of student who would likely submit very sloppy work as a dental student. It is never okay to complete prerequisites at the last minute, especially if your GPA isn't highly desirable.

Also by not having all your prereqs done, you are at a high risk of posting a sub-par DAT. What's your score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools won’t let you take prereqs the summer before dental school because if you don’t pass them…then your acceptance will be rescinded and they have to scramble to find someone to fill the seat. I would try to find a way to either take them during this coming summer, during your breaks, online, or at another university. You may have to pack on your course load if you can’t do this or apply to schools that don’t require the prerequisite.

I didn’t take Anatomy Or microbiology so I didn’t apply to schools that required it. It limits you somewhat but not a whole lot. You really just need calculus/stats, physics, gen Chem and Ochem, biochemistry, English and writing, and biology courses +lab for sciences (except Biochem)

What prereqs haven’t you taken?
I'm missing the second organic chemistry and biology. I'm already taking a full course load this summer and I can't take OChem or Bio online since both require a lab component. My GPA is decent (3.87) and I have never failed a course before. But I do see how taking courses last minute makes everything seem rushed/sloppy. Thanks for your response.

You are best served not rushing. If you must delay your application cycle to complete your prerequisites, do it. The last thing you want to do is submit a really sloppy application with obvious deficiencies. It won't give your faculty a great impression of you since they think you would be the type of student who would likely submit very sloppy work as a dental student. It is never okay to complete prerequisites at the last minute, especially if your GPA isn't highly desirable.

Also by not having all your prereqs done, you are at a high risk of posting a sub-par DAT. What's your score?
Thanks for your response. I'm taking the DAT in two weeks. Based on the practice tests, I'm estimating 20/21 (cDAT). I guess the best plan right now is to apply to Canadian schools (ones I have prereqs filled) this cycle and U.S next cycle.

I'm missing the second organic chemistry and biology. I'm already taking a full course load this summer and I can't take OChem or Bio online since both require a lab component. My GPA is decent (3.87) and I have never failed a course before. But I do see how taking courses last minute makes everything seem rushed/sloppy. Thanks for your response.
Does your university not offer a plan to graduate in 4 years for your degree? Are you taking minimum credits for full time student and not recommended credits? Or are you double majoring?

If the prereqs are part of your major you should be able to squeeze them in relatively easily unless you aren’t a stem major, which case it may be difficult. Since most of these courses should Be prereqs for upper division courses within your major if you are within stem.

Also If you’re taking cDAT make sure schools you are interested in take the cDAT. Most should but just in case. Good luck on your exam!

Hi, I'm currently in third year (fourth in September). There are alot of mandatory courses for my program and I have clinical placements scheduled for the entire fourth year, so I haven't filled all the prereqs yet. I'm missing two prereqs, and I'm considering taking them during the summer of 2024 (May-Aug). My goal is to apply this cycle and attend dental school the following year. Is it ok to complete my pre-requisite courses at the last minute instead of during the regular academic year?

Thanks.
Unless you have a stellar DAT score, schools will probably not even consider you without seeing your prerequisite course grades. They need to know if you can handle the rigor of dental school and they can’t assess that based on grades in general education classes

Does your university not offer a plan to graduate in 4 years for your degree? Are you taking minimum credits for full time student and not recommended credits? Or are you double majoring?

If the prereqs are part of your major you should be able to squeeze them in relatively easily unless you aren’t a stem major, which case it may be difficult. Since most of these courses should Be prereqs for upper division courses within your major if you are within stem.

Also If you’re taking cDAT make sure schools you are interested in take the cDAT. Most should but just in case. Good luck on your exam!
My program is a bit different, its a four year program (three academic years, last year full clinical placement) that offers both a college and a university degree. Our required courses are specialization focused (mine is ultrasound), so there are many anatomy/obstetrics and physics courses, but they don't necessary count towards the prereqs. I have been taking full course load (5 courses a semester) since first year, we don't have much elective space, it is just hard to fit everything. I'm also taking online courses on top of clinical placements in fourth year.

Unless you have a stellar DAT score, schools will probably not even consider you without seeing your prerequisite course grades. They need to know if you can handle the rigor of dental school and they can’t assess that based on grades in general education classes
What would you say is a good enough DAT score?

My program is a bit different, its a four year program (three academic years, last year full clinical placement) that offers both a college and a university degree. Our required courses are specialization focused (mine is ultrasound), so there are many anatomy/obstetrics and physics courses, but they don't necessary count towards the prereqs. I have been taking full course load (5 courses a semester) since first year, we don't have much elective space, it is just hard to fit everything. I'm also taking online courses on top of clinical placements in fourth year.
Gotcha, unfortunately you will have to find the time to take those courses before applying. Taking an extra year to finish everything may be of great benefit when applying to US schools

What would you say is a good enough DAT score?
Probably 21+ in total science considering you haven’t taken many prereqs. Also read the admissions requirements for each school very carefully, as there are schools that do not even look at applicants who haven’t completed their prereqs prior to submitting applications, even if you complete them before matriculation. Your chances are much better if you just take an extra year. Sounds like you will have way too much on your plate with clinical stuff, online courses, on top of studying to get an excellent DAT score. You may burn out. I highly recommend taking a gap year in your case

Reactions: 1 users