Technology Anyone tried AVG antivirus ?

Started by lf777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lf777

Full Member
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I am getting tired of Norton, has anybody tried this AVG free antivirus ? Norton does not scan inside .zip, and I'm getting a lot of e-mails with viruses...this should not even reach my inbox...

lf
 
I've never heard of AVG. I still have yet to find a better AV than Norton. I use 2004 right now, and I love it. I know 2003 didn't scan .zip files until you open them, but it should find anything upon opening (I'm not sure about 2004 with this) McAfee does scan .zip files as you download them...
The one thing I worry about with free or smaller-scale AV programs is updates. I work for UCLA's Network Services - we offer Sophos AV to all of our students, and I know that our office is pretty much the main contributor of virus sample files to Sophos lol. So when Sasser hit earlier this year, Norton was way ahead of Sophos in getting an update out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lf777 said:
Hey,

I am getting tired of Norton, has anybody tried this AVG free antivirus ? Norton does not scan inside .zip, and I'm getting a lot of e-mails with viruses...this should not even reach my inbox...

lf


AVG is ok, but not great.

And, my version of Norton does scan zip files - do you have yours configured correctly?
 
Well,

I looked at the options (NAV 2004) and I don't see any mention of .zip for e-mail. Maybe I was not clear, I wanted NAV to scan .zip attachments....

lf
 
It's okay, but I just got rid of it. I had a trojan horse that kept popping up and it would never detect it. I finally got rid of it by getting mcafee.
 
I have had AVG for 10 months now and it has catched every virus since. I recommend it.