Anyone tried independent study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took two IS courses my senoir year in HS, although they were Phys Ed and World History.

We all know the importance med schools place on English. So here is my question. Lets say I dont want to take English 1002 MWF at 7:30 AM next semester. This course is offered in independent study. I am thinking about taking ENGL 1002 as IS, therefore I dont have to attend a class every other day, and this way I have a little more time to complete it and can add a few labs next semester.

My concern is this- Will med schools look down on this or view it as illegitimate? I mean, I get my 3 credits and everything, its just an IS course. So in the end, I have credit in ENGL 1002. I just want to make sure med schools wont be able to see that it was an IS course, and if they can, want to make sure it wont hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

Chris127 said:
I took two IS courses my senoir year in HS, although they were Phys Ed and World History.

We all know the importance med schools place on English. So here is my question. Lets say I dont want to take English 1002 MWF at 7:30 AM next semester. This course is offered in independent study. I am thinking about taking ENGL 1002 as IS, therefore I dont have to attend a class every other day, and this way I have a little more time to complete it and can add a few labs next semester.

My concern is this- Will med schools look down on this or view it as illegitimate? I mean, I get my 3 credits and everything, its just an IS course. So in the end, I have credit in ENGL 1002. I just want to make sure med schools wont be able to see that it was an IS course, and if they can, want to make sure it wont hurt me.

I took a course IS and loved it, although it wasnt a pre-req (symbolic logic). Anyway I thought about doing an English course IS until I gotr the packet....18 assignments, each consisting of 3-7 page reports on some boring story....needless to say I didnt follow through on that and took the normal english course the next semester.

I really cannot image that taking an IS class would hurt you at all. I took an IS class (Graduate level - Computer science) and it was much more work than a regular graduate level course. If anything, I would image that the school would be impressed by your initiative.......unless the IS course you are taking is of the type that athletes take to get out of taking actual classes.......might want to check on that.