Anyone use Allscripts EMR in the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gpan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some feedbacks regarding the EMR call Allscripts? I need to make a decision between a few hospitals. Some have Allscripts and I have heard some bads things about it. Let me know what your experience is like with it, compared to for example Cerner. I know Cerner and Meditech.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me some feedbacks regarding the EMR call Allscripts? I need to make a decision between a few hospitals. Some have Allscripts and I have heard some bads things about it. Let me know what your experience is like with it, compared to for example Cerner. I know Cerner and Meditech.

I have used it very briefly. I am not a fan. There is too many clicks.

Allscripts EMR is a reason to not consider a job. Slow and clanky too many clicks , hard to write a proper note. We had it in outpt clinic in nephrology fellowship and I had a hard time seeing 6 pts in a 4 hr clinic. And I am reasonably fast. My VA EMR was much faster as is Epic. Every attending I had cursed at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that sunrise? If it is then yep it sucks! Big time!

Too many clicks? But all EMR has that. In Cerner you have to click into tabs to open this and that. How about creating notes. Are there templates? Copy features? Favorite orders saving feature?

Too many clicks? But all EMR has that. In Cerner you have to click into tabs to open this and that. How about creating notes. Are there templates? Copy features? Favorite orders saving feature?

I have used other EMRs including Cerner and Epic. Both are great programs. When I say allscripts has too many clicks, I really mean it. It's not a good EMR.

One thing ive learned is that EMR versions of the same software can differ considerably depending on the place you work. I have used AllScripts in an outpatient setting and did not like it, but it was better than CPRS and Meditech. I’ve been at 3 hospitals with Cerner. Two of them, Cerner was complete trash. The third (my university hospital) has the newest version of Cerner with Epic-like smart phrases and smart templates (don’t have to use garbage Powernote) and a workflow feature that none of the other two hospitals had, and it is much, much more bearable. Not as good as vanilla Epic but still pretty good.

In residency we had Cerner for outpatient clinic and "upgraded" to Allscripts. I really disliked Cerner, and after having Allscripts, I'd take Cerner any day. I only used it as outpatient, so I'm not sure if the inpatient version is different. Lots of clicks. Scrolling is slow, and I don't really understand why. I don't like the format; I feel they could fit more information into a screen shot if it was done differently. And again, scroll is slow. Finding stuff in Allscripts is difficult.

what about SORIAN ??? Anyone used this EMR before? IS it ok to live with?

Meditech I feel is difficult to search through and clunky - day to day notes aren’t bad, especially if you have the templates setup and pre-populated with chronic dz management - HTN, DM, hypothyroidism for individual pt. Certainly able to churn out a level 4 note and have proper documentation to support in 5min

Haven’t used epic, but have heard a lot of good things.

Cernera isn’t bad - very easy to search a pts chart (chart bx). But agree, there’s a lot of clicks, and to d/c someone from inpt is PAINFUL.

Cerner> allscripts> CPRS=medtech.

There is a lot of templates you can make with allscripts that greatly increase efficiency.

Everyone craps on every EMR everywhere, at all times

This is the only absolute truth in medicine

Reactions: 1 users