Anyone used Gold Standard CD-Rom videos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meredith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.ca/16-MCAT-VIDEOS-1...7025004197QQcategoryZ2228QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this MCAT study system? It comes with 16 CD-rom videos, the Gold Standard test book, AAMC practice items, and Silver Bullet audio cassettes.

It looks very comprehensive and I am seriously considering ordering it for $249 US, however I do not see it mentioned here on SDN? Anyone have any comments for or against this system??

Members don't see this ad.

I purchased the same system from eBay (from the same seller) but it was the smaller package that included the 16 cd's and the Gold Standard. I thought they did a great job of sifting through all of the frivolous information. I've found that most MCAT prep books include so much review that hasn't been tested in years. The best part of the Gold Standard is that even though it is a large textbook like Kaplan, etc. it is very concise (but includes all of the good topics). As an example, the CD's don't include VSEPR and things like that that aren't really tested. Many books have to include the unnecessary information for completeness. In short, I would recommend them and feel that I did much better on April's MCAT because of them. I know my PS section really improved. Unfortunately, the BS section I had was collectively considered painfully tough, the CD's definitely included the most pertinent information. I remember when I was told that they contain "only the important stuff" I was a little skeptical thinking that it would be OVERLY simplified and short. I found them just the opposite. Dr. Ferdinand explained things in a very easy, understandable way. In the Gold Standard itself are three full length exams. I would definitely recommend them.

Alex1803 said:
I purchased the same system from eBay (from the same seller) but it was the smaller package that included the 16 cd's and the Gold Standard. I thought they did a great job of sifting through all of the frivolous information. I've found that most MCAT prep books include so much review that hasn't been tested in years. The best part of the Gold Standard is that even though it is a large textbook like Kaplan, etc. it is very concise (but includes all of the good topics). As an example, the CD's don't include VSEPR and things like that that aren't really tested. Many books have to include the unnecessary information for completeness. In short, I would recommend them and feel that I did much better on April's MCAT because of them. I know my PS section really improved. Unfortunately, the BS section I had was collectively considered painfully tough, the CD's definitely included the most pertinent information. I remember when I was told that they contain "only the important stuff" I was a little skeptical thinking that it would be OVERLY simplified and short. I found them just the opposite. Dr. Ferdinand explained things in a very easy, understandable way. In the Gold Standard itself are three full length exams. I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks so much. I am still a bit worried since they don't seem to have much of a reputation either way. Will probably get them though, since video will be a nice break from textbook reading!

If anyone else has comments about Gold Standard, I would love to hear from you.

Hey I purchased this and I thought it was very thorough. I felt very prepared for the MCAT-they give you practice exams, cd's and audio and the books with all the key concepts! Great resource. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.