Anyone used to get accepted but couldnt get private loan for studying???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamertoothie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am not greencard holder or US Citizen or having H4B visa. B2 visa and that's it. I have a cosigner but banks refused :( Got accepted this year but had to defer 1 year to sort this out. However, my cosigner just took a 280k morgageloan recently so I doubt if i will be successful next year. I am curious if someone faced the same situation before and what did you do? This is a golden chance, i cant simply give up :((((((

Members don't see this ad.

That's really unfortunate but what reason did the bank gave u for rejection of ur loan? I do not have much idea but Ya I have heard such cases.

The first bank (Salli Mae) rejected after considering my cosigner's history. my mom gets another loan for her study several years ago with Salli Mae also. They say I must apply with a new cosigner with higher income. The second bank (Citizens bank) is more complicated. They only allow 1 cosigner so I wrote down my mom as the main cosigner with "household income" including my stepdad's income. But since they are newly wed, mom did not have time to change her address yet and so the bank said that stepdad's income didnt count and my mom's income was not enough to take 100k loan. Of course now my mom changed her address to the same place with my stepdad, but they just got a 280k morgage loan this month (because they cannot cosign for me, they decided that they would buy a house). I may try again next year with Citizens bank, so I want to collect all the information ahead, like should I borrow 100k or should I reduce it to less than that, maybe 90k? I don't know if it helps or not. don't know where is the problem - the amount of money or my cosigner's profile. Anyway, I can't ask anyone else to cosign, so I am mostly hopeless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ask a financial aid office of your university for a list of banks, which they work with? Also did you try any credit unions? They may be less demanding - I had two mortgages with a credit union and had very good experience

I didnt try credit unions, i will search them to see if they accept pp w/o ssn. Special thanks

Since you said, you are on B2 visa in USA, you can apply for Loan in country of your citizenship as a last resort.